Kid A unappreciation. - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #136
Refugee
 
bollox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,315
Local Time: 12:26 PM
kid a is terribly overrated.

but it still pwns any post-pop u2 album.
__________________

__________________
bollox is offline  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1


This is true. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is better than Kid A.

But that's not saying much.

Name an album released from June 2000 until now.

Every album you name (except fo Amnesiac) is better than Kid A.
Wow! So you would rather listen to 50 Cent, Black Eyed Peas or Britney Spears than listen to Kid A! Remind me never to take your suggestion about anything anymore!
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #138
War Child
 
I'm Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 987
Local Time: 07:26 AM
atleast brau gives hail to the theif some due
__________________
I'm Ready is offline  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #139
War Child
 
RA-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 936
Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
I've owned 3 copies of Kid A.

One was purchased when the album was released.

2 weeks later it was sold to a used CD shop.

Used the money to buy a used porno magazine.

The 2nd was a mini disc copy that I made from my old room-mates copy of Kid A. Thought I'd give it another shot. That lasted 3 weeks, until i need to blank out the MD to record my farts after a weekend of my girlfriends chili. (surprisingly, the recorded farts weren't that different than the music that occupied the MD before)

The 3rd was burned from a data disc of my brothers music collection. It has been loaded into my ITunes for 4 months now. But, predictably enough, those little blue boxes next to each track have slowly been clicked off, one by one.

wahey, i'm not the only one.

As only recently I have started 'loving' any of Radiohead's material, I did buy Kid A upon advice from a friend ages ago and couldn't believe that this was music. I now own a genuine copy again, but it's still sorely lacking compared to the two previous albums. Still, I was encouraged by bits of Hail To The Thief (2+2=5, There There, Go To Sleep, WIEAYB, Punchup At A Wedding) and have recently fallen for Optimistic and How To Disappear and the unreleased Follow Me Around ().

Also, before you condemn Kid A as the worst thing this decade, have you ever heard any of The Dears' releases? I can only assume that they are as bad as their live shows.
__________________
RA-D is offline  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
I've owned 3 copies of Kid A.

One was purchased when the album was released.

2 weeks later it was sold to a used CD shop.

Used the money to buy a used porno magazine.

The 2nd was a mini disc copy that I made from my old room-mates copy of Kid A. Thought I'd give it another shot. That lasted 3 weeks, until i need to blank out the MD to record my farts after a weekend of my girlfriends chili. (surprisingly, the recorded farts weren't that different than the music that occupied the MD before)

The 3rd was burned from a data disc of my brothers music collection. It has been loaded into my ITunes for 4 months now. But, predictably enough, those little blue boxes next to each track have slowly been clicked off, one by one.

Thom Yorke would find deep satisfaction in this, I'm sure.
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready
atleast brau gives hail to the theif some due
I really like "There There" and "Go To Sleep."

Those be good tunes.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:59 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 08:56 AM
One more note of defending before I hit the sack. Kid A is not an easy album at the outset...you just may have to listen many, many times (maybe even a million trillion billion) before it creeps into your being. Once it does, it becomes a warm blanket of despair, fragility, and originality that somehow seems to have been there forever.

I'm off to my bunker!


__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
Kid A is not an easy album at the outset...you just may have to listen many, many times (maybe even a million trillion billion) before it creeps into your being.
Interesting. Because it hit me the very first time I listened to it. I sat thru the whole thing from Everything to Soundtrack and I got hit!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


Interesting. Because it hit me the very first time I listened to it. I sat thru the whole thing from Everything to Soundtrack and I got hit!
Me, as well. Kid A is like the best video game music ever made, or the possible sountrack to a great alien abduction (however, some people apparently take a heck of a lot longer to catch on to the brilliance of true art).
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
One more note of defending before I hit the sack. Kid A is not an easy album at the outset...you just may have to listen many, many times (maybe even a million trillion billion) before it creeps into your being. Once it does, it becomes a warm blanket of despair, fragility, and originality that somehow seems to have been there forever.

I'm off to my bunker!


It took me a while to warm up to Kid A. And when I did... Initially, I had difficulty getting around the vocal effects. Love them now.

Okay, enough Kid A appreciating in this thread. Time to let Brau be. MrBrau, what did you think of A Wolf At The Door?
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:26 PM
Gibby, I was listening to The Final Cut today.

The Gunner's Dream!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 01:08 AM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Gibby, I was listening to The Final Cut today.

The Gunner's Dream!
His dream is driving me INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!

But maybe that's a topic better left for the Pink Floyd thread.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 01:10 AM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

But maybe that's a topic better left for the Pink Floyd thread.
eh... Pink Floyd, Radiohead... it's all the same!


__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,952
Local Time: 10:26 PM
I adore Kid A.......

....but just because albums such as X&Y, Htdaab, Atyclb or Baby, One More Time are not necessarily innovative or unprecedented musical releases, it does not mean that they are bad albums.

That is the shallow view of many elitist fans who consider that if an album doesn't "push musical boundaries", it is immediately worthy of prejudicial attacks.

So prominent is the tiresome squawking from hardline, infalliable, "avant-garde" addicts (usually left-wingers), that they are often misinterpreted as supposed experts in all things artistic and creative, yet really they are more prejudiced than most.

Albums should be judged on the brilliance of the music that is generated, not on how "avant-garde" the artist may be.

"Avant-garde is French for bullshit", and while I may not agree with that quote entirely, a lot of "avant-garde" stuff out there is utter crap and far from brilliant.

Give me the new Nickelback album anyday than some of that "avant-garde" shit....

(Although I hate Nickelback, I prefer my music to resemble music. Like I prefer my paintings to be the result of the painter's talent. Up yours Jackson Pollock!)
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 02-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #150
Refugee
 
dudeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,201
Local Time: 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I adore Kid A.......

....but just because albums such as X&Y, Htdaab, Atyclb or Baby, One More Time are not necessarily innovative or unprecedented musical releases, it does not mean that they are bad albums.

That is the shallow view of many elitist fans who consider that if an album doesn't "push musical boundaries", it is immediately worthy of prejudicial attacks.

So prominent is the tiresome squawking from hardline, infalliable, "avant-garde" addicts (usually left-wingers), that they are often misinterpreted as supposed experts in all things artistic and creative, yet really they are more prejudiced than most.

Albums should be judged on the brilliance of the music that is generated, not on how "avant-garde" the artist may be.

"Avant-garde is French for bullshit", and while I may not agree with that quote entirely, a lot of "avant-garde" stuff out there is utter crap and far from brilliant.

Give me the new Nickelback album anyday than some of that "avant-garde" shit....

(Although I hate Nickelback, I prefer my music to resemble music. Like I prefer my paintings to be the result of the painter's talent. Up yours Jackson Pollock!)
well said.

and one last thing - i'm not sure why the kid a haters are able to hate on the album without attacking any of the fans of the album. meanwhile many of the album lovers need to resort to calling the haters morons or insulting their 'obvious' lack of musical taste or sophistication. you don't know me. all you know is i don't like kid a and probably like u2. second - there is no inherent virtue in being 'sophisticated' for the sake of sophistication. that describes prog rock.

and one more one last thing:
broken social scene may possibly be overrated, nowhere near as overrated as kid a. nevertheless, songs like 'pacific theme', 'kc accidental', 'stars and sons' and the mighty 'cause = time' make YFIIP my favorite album of the milennium, and probably the best of the last 10 years (rivals OK computer).
__________________

__________________
dudeman is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com