Kid A is blowing my fucking mind! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Amnesiac has brilliant songs on it, but I don't think it is as good as Kid A (or The Bends, OK Computer or Hail to the Thief for that matter) just because of a few weak songs (Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, Hunting Bears, Morning Bell is better on Kid A, and Like Spinning Plates is better with the live piano version on the I Might Be Wrong Live Recordings). Still highly recommended.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Kid A is a beautiful, gorgeous record. However, it is the absolute most depressing record of the Radiohead catalog. I can't listen to it without wanting to kill myself afterwards

NOTE: I am not actually suicidal.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Really? You really think it's depressing? More than OKC? Maybe cos you're paying too much attention to the lyrics!

I see it as one of the most relaxing records out there that I can just sink into... esp. with something like the first track!

Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Really? You really think it's depressing? More than OKC? Maybe cos you're paying too much attention to the lyrics!

I see it as one of the most relaxing records out there that I can just sink into... esp. with something like the first track!

There are two songs on the record that I find utterly depressing: How To Disappear Completely and Motion Picture Soundtrack. How To Disappear is, imo, one of the most gorgeous songs in the RH catalog, but the lyrics are morbid(I'm not here/this isn't happening). And I can't put my finger on why, but the closing track, MPS, always leaves me wanting to cry for no apparent reason. There is a lot of heartache in that song.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:54 PM   #50
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Does any one else see the Radiohead as the E. E. Cummings of music connection?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:06 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
And I can't put my finger on why, but the closing track, MPS, always leaves me wanting to cry for no apparent reason. There is a lot of heartache in that song.
i absolutely LOVE motion picture soundtrack for that very reason.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #52
War Child

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Kid A is a beautiful, gorgeous record. However, it is the absolute most depressing record of the Radiohead catalog. I can't listen to it without wanting to kill myself afterwards

i feel like that after listening to OK Computer. I find that album disturbing for some reason. more disturbing than Kid A. I think Kid A is more robotic and distant, so it doesn't affect me emotionally like OK Computer does.

i LOVE Kid A but i don't know if it's my favorite Radiohead album...it's a tie among the Bends and OK Computer. they're all so different.

Kid A totally shocked me when i first listened to it. i couldn't get over how brilliant it is. i guess that's why i never warmed up to Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief...they're both great albums but sort of a letdown (no pun intended) after kid A.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by xtihn

i feel like that after listening to OK Computer. I find that album disturbing for some reason. more disturbing than Kid A. I think Kid A is more robotic and distant, so it doesn't affect me emotionally like OK Computer does.
That's exactly how I feel!

I've been listening to Radiohead all day... first Optimistic/In Limbo and the 2nd half of Kid A... and now The Bends in it's entirety. x infinity.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 PM   #54
Refugee

Zootlesque,

Once you have the 6 main albums, make sure you get the following:

My Iron Lung EP: released in between Pablo Honey and The Bends and it really shows the transition. Make sure to get the 8-song EP and not one of the abbreviated single versions. Might be kind of expensive as it is an import, but well worth it.

Airbag/How am I Driving EP: released only in the US the year after OKC came out. Great outtakes from OKC.

I Might Be Wrong Live Recordings: taken from the Kid A/Amnesiac tour and shows how amazingly these cold, electronic songs become great rock songs in concert. Should be longer than 8 songs, but what is there is great. Also, the never released acoustic song (True Love Waits) is .
Old 09-29-2005, 12:48 AM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

By the time I got into RH it was already too hard to find those EPs in stores...but I did download all of the 'new' tracks from them(not including the live stuff). All the B-Sides, if you will. (Mind you I have all six albums LEGIT)...

A Reminder
Banana Co.
Bishop's Robes
Citizen Insane
Coke Babies
Cuttooth
Faithless The Wonder Boy
Fast Track
Fog
How Can You Be Sure
How I Made My Millions
India Rubber
Inside My Head
Killer Cars
Kinetic
Lewis(Mistreated)
Lozenge Of Love
Lull
Maquiladora
Meeting In The Aisle
Melatonin
Million Dollar Question
Molasses
Palo Alto
Pearly
Permanent Daylight
Polyethylene(Parts 1&2)
Pop Is Dead
Punch Drunk Love Song
Stupid Car
Talk Show Host
The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy
The Trickster
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
True Love Waits
Worrywort
Yes I Am
You Never Wash Up After Yourself
Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:50 AM
KID A is classic stuff. There is nothing like it.

HTDC, Idiotheque, the title track, Morning Bell and MPS all blow me right away.

Not as good as OK Computer (barely anything is!) but KID A is masterclass
Old 09-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:50 AM
I'm actually quite surprised at how many people I come across who really hated Kid A when it first came out! I heard it and absolutely loved it from the start! Maybe getting Amnesiac before has something to do with it??
Old 09-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gareth brown
I'm actually quite surprised at how many people I come across who really hated Kid A when it first came out! I heard it and absolutely loved it from the start! Maybe getting Amnesiac before has something to do with it??
I don't know, I think it just depends on the person. It took me at least a year to truly appreciate Kid A in its entirity. I really didn't like certain songs like Kid A and Everything In Its Right Place initially. (Love them now.) On the other hand, it took me very little time to get into Amnesiac.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #59
The Male

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Radiohead has been annoying me lately. I bought Hail To The Theif last weekend, and I hate it. Thom's voice sounds like a shadow of its former self (remember those near-operatic notes he used to hit during the OKC era?), the songs are sub-par, and We Suck Young Blood? WTF?

Kid A I still don't find BRILLIANT, but I like it well enough. The title track, National Anthem, Idioteque, and Optimistic/In Limbo are the best songs on it.

Amnesiac isn't any better than Kid A, but Packt Like Sardines and I Might Be Wrong...

OKC and The Bends ROCK MY WORLD!!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 PM   #60
War Child

Local Time: 04:50 PM
I still can't stand it, I can't believe the band that make OKC and The Bends could make something this dull. Sorry, it's only a personal opinion, but Idiotheque is probably the worst song I've ever spent money on. I can even appreciate Amnesiac in small doses (Knives Out, I Might Be Wrong, (better) Morning Bell) and HTTT has a few great tracks (There There, 2+2=5, Go To Sleep, Punchup...) but still can't get any further into KidA than Optimistic. I guess I just prefer my music to be more plain (guitars, drums, lyrics) although I do like the tune to Everything In Its Right Place after hearing it played on piano.