Kid A is blowing my fucking mind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:

Very good. Since I have to retire for the night, I will send you an email about cooking tomorrow evening. Squash his head, put him in the pot. I'm sure you will enjoy it! :happy:

I'm happy to receive all correspondence about cooking, or mouse catching, at bonnell.kip @gmail.com:wink:

Yeah, Bsp--both Grant Park and Alpine Valley were towering shows. Hearing "True Love Waits" IN CHICAGO IN GRANT PARK NEXT TO THE LAKE WATCHING THE SKYLINE was sooooo unspeakably perfect. At that point, I think it was just the fourth time they'd ever played it. Oh, my god....so wonderful. Got to hear "Lurgee," too! Wasn't that cool? And didn't they break out "Permanent Daylight?" God damn, what a show....

Again, though--that Alpine performance was "religiousness and religiosity made whole."

Oh, and Lazarus is definitely right about Passengers being both more avant-garde than Kid A and in that it pre-dates the same album by QUITE a lot of time. Nearly daily, I am upset that when I go to all my indie shows and shop at all my indie shops that I have to pretend I didn't drive 200 miles to see U2 twice, last week. Even if I mention the album, nobody knows what the fuck I'm talking about (though that's U2's fault, not theirs--they could easily have gotten the balls of Bowie, Byrne, Radiohead, etc. and just released the album under their own name)...and when I describe it, I'm usually not believed. :wink: I guess that part of the problem really is publicity; though Radiohead didn't do no interviews, they fuckin' released the album as themselves and all that stuff. I love how different and gutsy Passengers is, but I'm sure I can't be the only one who's unnerved by the bands whole we-didn't-actually-do-that-album attitude upon its release (particularly in their neo-Holy Land of America).

Shady.

As.

Hell.

...And then [/I]POP[/I] came out and was great not because it was all out-there and left-field and whack (as the band insisted it would be, time and again)...it was NOT a techno record or a dance record or fuckin' anything like that. It was a slightly new version of U2 with a couple of really interesting off-shoots here and there and some really interested contemporary ideas affixed to the pre-established stylistic framework already established by the band. I dug it because of that. It was U2 not being U2 and, in the end, being nothing but U2.

Sorry. I ramble. In case you can't tell, I'm sort of in thesis-mode, these days...

If you shout... said:
Yeah, Bsp--both Grant Park and Alpine Valley were towering shows. Hearing "True Love Waits" IN CHICAGO IN GRANT PARK NEXT TO THE LAKE WATCHING THE SKYLINE was sooooo unspeakably perfect. At that point, I think it was just the fourth time they'd ever played it. Oh, my god....so wonderful. Got to hear "Lurgee," too! Wasn't that cool? And didn't they break out "Permanent Daylight?" God damn, what a show....

Yeah, they did play Permanent Daylight, which was completely unexpected.

I also kept staring at the skyline (with the setting sun) during the slower tracks. Very cool.

If you shout... said:
...And then [/I]POP[/I] came out and was great not because it was all out-there and left-field and whack (as the band insisted it would be, time and again)...it was NOT a techno record or a dance record or fuckin' anything like that. It was a slightly new version of U2 with a couple of really interesting off-shoots here and there and some really interested contemporary ideas affixed to the pre-established stylistic framework already established by the band. I dug it because of that. It was U2 not being U2 and, in the end, being nothing but U2.

Exactly!!! It was U2 not being U2, straying far away from it just to experiment and explore. And that's what was so U2 about it cos they did that kinda stuff all the time.. well, till 1997 at least. That whole argument of 'What's your problem with U2 being themselves' in defense of ATYCLB does not make sense at all! They were NOT being themselves with ATYCLB. They were being safe... they settled, something I never dreamt they would do.. EVER!

Anyway, I agree with the comments about Passengers! Great effort albeit not on par with Kid A. Just wish the band would be more fucking proud about it!

On topic... I've been listening to Kid A non stop! Can't wait to get Amnesiac and HTTT.

Zootlesque said:

Exactly!!! It was U2 not being U2, straying far away from it just to experiment and explore. And that's what was so U2 about it cos they did that kinda stuff all the time.. well, till 1997 at least. That whole argument of 'What's your problem with U2 being themselves' in defense of ATYCLB does not make sense at all! They were NOT being themselves with ATYCLB. They were being safe... they settled, something I never dreamt they would do.. EVER!

Anyway, I agree with the comments about Passengers! Great effort albeit not on par with Kid A. Just wish the band would be more fucking proud about it!

On topic... I've been listening to Kid A non stop! Can't wait to get Amnesiac and HTTT.

Have you ever heard Amnesiac and HTTT?

Packt Like Sardines In A Crushed Tin Box :drool:
Pyramid Song
You And Whose Army
Knives Out
Hunting Bears
Like Spinning Plates
Life In A Glass House
2+2=5
Sail To The Moon
Backdrifts
Where I End And You Begin
There There
I Will
Punchup At A Wedding
Myxamtosis
Scatterbrain
A Wolf At The Door

:drool:

Among others

Zootlesque said:

Bends and OK. That's it.

So you've heard three records and will get two more soon. That's 5 of 6. Pablo Honey is their debut and really inferior to everything else they've done, anyway.

Be sure to report back once you've heard Amnesiac and HTTT :wink:

namkcuR said:

Be sure to report back once you've heard Amnesiac and HTTT :wink:

Yes sir! *salutes* :wink:

Can't wait till I get Amnesiac and Hail. Maybe I'll buy both at the same time! :drool:

Btw, if I can only get one now, which one should I go with? Amnesiac maybe? since I'm high on Kid A right now. :hmm:

Zootlesque said:
Btw, if I can only get one now, which one should I go with? Amnesiac maybe? since I'm high on Kid A right now. :hmm:

Get both. You get one, you're gonna want the other even more. :wink:

timothius said:

There is never enough love for that song. Best song on the album. :sad:

Maybe there is not enough love for that song here cos this thread is mainly about Kid A, not Amnesiac! :tongue:

Oh my... Kid A on headphones is a whole new experience! :ohmy:

w004.jpg

bsp77 said:

My Iron Lung EP: released in between Pablo Honey and The Bends and it really shows the transition. Make sure to get the 8-song EP and not one of the abbreviated single versions. Might be kind of expensive as it is an import, but well worth it.

I'm thirteen dollars poorer now, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. :D

I don't know. I love Radiohead but the whole idea that Kid A is this amazing thing to me is a bit ridiculous. It's good don't get me wrong but I mean as far as electronic, ambient, "experiemental" stuff goes there is so much more better stuff out there fitting this genre. I actually think Amnesiac was better than Kid A. To me Radiohead were their best on The Bends anyways so. Thom Yorke's voice is too beautiful and they haven't really done much in the way of melody since O.k. Computer. I understand Radiohead is trying to keep it interesting for themselves and that's cool but I dont necessarily think it has made them better. Just my opinion. I do own all their albums so it is an opinion based on somthing rather than what I simply heard on Radio or MTV/Much Music.

I like Kid A a lot, now that Thom Yorke's voice stopped grating on my nerves and the whole over-the-top hoopla surrounding the damn album (and band itself, to a degree) has died down. Back when it was just released the sheer amount of gushing and fawning was simply insufferable; same as with The Strokes' "Is This It", which I also love now.

Back
Top Bottom