Kid A is blowing my fucking mind! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2005, 12:48 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:38 PM
own your face off? ha! i love it.

amazing that it's very nearly 5 years old...almost like how it's been close to 5 years since radiohead performed these songs on snl...that was an amazing show.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
own your face off? ha! i love it.

amazing that it's very nearly 5 years old...almost like how it's been close to 5 years since radiohead performed these songs on snl...that was an amazing show.
I still have those performances on VHS...the same tape, of course, featuring U2 when they were on--you guessed it--a number of weeks later. I still bust 'er out every now and again (for purposes of nostalgia). I remember hearing Radiohead's performance of "National Anthem" being described as "ugly music." That made me laugh.

And, yes. Kid A is wont to leave one faceless. You know what I'm talking about...

Old 09-26-2005, 03:15 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:38 PM
I love this album, but I immediately preferred Amnesiac when it came out and still do. That's when a lot of Radiohead fans started turning into haters; I know many who don't care for Amnesiac or Hail to the Thief. I do feel that Amnesiac is more personal, and it hits me more on an emotional level.

Anyway, I remember reading a quote about how Kid A and Amnesiac are not only from the same recording sessions, but are two perspectives on similar subjects or themes. The Kid A view is cold and distanced, and Amnesiac is, as Yorke said, "right in the middle of the fire", or something to that effect. One song that perfectly illustrates this dichotomy is "Morning Bell", which appears on both albums. On Kid A, it sounds very paranoid and ominous. But on Amnesiac, it almost sounds angelic and liberating. With the lyrics saying things like "cut the kids in half", it sounds like this is about the ending of a marriage. Which can be something absolutely devastating, but yet can free someone at the same time. When you hear Thom singing "release me", it's plaintively helpless in the first version, but almost triumphant in the follow up. I don't know if that makes sense but take another listen and see what you think.

Everything in Its Right Place might be in my top 10 Radiohead songs, but frankly there's nothing on Kid A that reaches the majestic beauty of Pyramid Song or the out-of-left-field genius of Life in a Glasshouse. Listen to that New Orleans dirge now in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and it's even more poignant than it was before.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Anyway, I remember reading a quote about how Kid A and Amnesiac are not only from the same recording sessions, but are two perspectives on similar subjects or themes. The Kid A view is cold and distanced, and Amnesiac is, as Yorke said, "right in the middle of the fire", or something to that effect. One song that perfectly illustrates this dichotomy is "Morning Bell", which appears on both albums. On Kid A, it sounds very paranoid and ominous. But on Amnesiac, it almost sounds angelic and liberating. With the lyrics saying things like "cut the kids in half", it sounds like this is about the ending of a marriage. Which can be something absolutely devastating, but yet can free someone at the same time. When you hear Thom singing "release me", it's plaintively helpless in the first version, but almost triumphant in the follow up. I don't know if that makes sense but take another listen and see what you think.

Everything in Its Right Place might be in my top 10 Radiohead songs, but frankly there's nothing on Kid A that reaches the majestic beauty of Pyramid Song or the out-of-left-field genius of Life in a Glasshouse. Listen to that New Orleans dirge now in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and it's even more poignant than it was before.

I HAVE to get Amnesiac now! I listened to Kid A in my car today.. to and from work. Everything's In It's Right Place sounded fucking beautiful early in the morning.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh my god.........

Optimistic/In Limbo...... my fav part of the album right now!

What?... don't look at me like I'm a johnny-come-lately!

Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Btw, great post there.. If You Shout! Good to know the album means so much to you! I wanted to reply earlier but it was getting late last night.

Wow... can't believe I dismissed this album back in 2000 just cos it didn't have enough guitar!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:36 PM   #37
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:38 PM
There's a ton of guitar, it's just that most of it doesn't sound like a guitar...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #38
She's the One

I hope you guys are all happy. I'm listening to it now at a deafening volume.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #39
She's the One

And playing air drums to The National Anthem.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

nothing beats playing air bass, martha. NOTHING.

especially if you play it really high...geddy lee style.

oh yeah...THAT'S the shit.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 PM   #41
She's the One

Now you've made me cough.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

you're just living in a fantasy world..................
Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

"Red wine and sleeping pills
help me get back into your arms."

One of the best couplets I've ever heard in a song (one of the best I've ever heard) which I wouldn't hesitate to call one of the best I've ever heard. Such beauty, such heartbreak, such painfully uplifting (???) desolation. And, like most of the great ones, it's able to make me feel like it was written not about somebody or something, but about ME.

God damn it. I really don't have time or emotional stability enough, right now, to fall back in love with this album.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:42 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Btw, great post there.. If You Shout! Good to know the album means so much to you! I wanted to reply earlier but it was getting late last night.

Wow... can't believe I dismissed this album back in 2000 just cos it didn't have enough guitar!
Oh, and thank you for reading and "appreciating," for lack of a better word, Zootlesque. Glad to know somebody else is reading, listening, and feeling it.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I HAVE to get Amnesiac now!
Fuck yes! Amnesiac is amazing - don't listen to the naysayers. It took me longer to get into Kid A than Amnesiac. Even still, I think Kid A is the better of the two, but Amnesiac isn't very far behind. Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box, Pyramid Song, You And Whose Army?, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, and Dollars & Cents are perfection.