Kid A is blowing my fucking mind! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2005, 12:48 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 07:38 PM
own your face off? ha! i love it.

amazing that it's very nearly 5 years old...almost like how it's been close to 5 years since radiohead performed these songs on snl...that was an amazing show.
__________________

__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
own your face off? ha! i love it.

amazing that it's very nearly 5 years old...almost like how it's been close to 5 years since radiohead performed these songs on snl...that was an amazing show.
I still have those performances on VHS...the same tape, of course, featuring U2 when they were on--you guessed it--a number of weeks later. I still bust 'er out every now and again (for purposes of nostalgia). I remember hearing Radiohead's performance of "National Anthem" being described as "ugly music." That made me laugh.

And, yes. Kid A is wont to leave one faceless. You know what I'm talking about...
__________________

__________________
If you shout... is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 03:15 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 05:38 PM
I love this album, but I immediately preferred Amnesiac when it came out and still do. That's when a lot of Radiohead fans started turning into haters; I know many who don't care for Amnesiac or Hail to the Thief. I do feel that Amnesiac is more personal, and it hits me more on an emotional level.

Anyway, I remember reading a quote about how Kid A and Amnesiac are not only from the same recording sessions, but are two perspectives on similar subjects or themes. The Kid A view is cold and distanced, and Amnesiac is, as Yorke said, "right in the middle of the fire", or something to that effect. One song that perfectly illustrates this dichotomy is "Morning Bell", which appears on both albums. On Kid A, it sounds very paranoid and ominous. But on Amnesiac, it almost sounds angelic and liberating. With the lyrics saying things like "cut the kids in half", it sounds like this is about the ending of a marriage. Which can be something absolutely devastating, but yet can free someone at the same time. When you hear Thom singing "release me", it's plaintively helpless in the first version, but almost triumphant in the follow up. I don't know if that makes sense but take another listen and see what you think.

Everything in Its Right Place might be in my top 10 Radiohead songs, but frankly there's nothing on Kid A that reaches the majestic beauty of Pyramid Song or the out-of-left-field genius of Life in a Glasshouse. Listen to that New Orleans dirge now in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and it's even more poignant than it was before.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Anyway, I remember reading a quote about how Kid A and Amnesiac are not only from the same recording sessions, but are two perspectives on similar subjects or themes. The Kid A view is cold and distanced, and Amnesiac is, as Yorke said, "right in the middle of the fire", or something to that effect. One song that perfectly illustrates this dichotomy is "Morning Bell", which appears on both albums. On Kid A, it sounds very paranoid and ominous. But on Amnesiac, it almost sounds angelic and liberating. With the lyrics saying things like "cut the kids in half", it sounds like this is about the ending of a marriage. Which can be something absolutely devastating, but yet can free someone at the same time. When you hear Thom singing "release me", it's plaintively helpless in the first version, but almost triumphant in the follow up. I don't know if that makes sense but take another listen and see what you think.

Everything in Its Right Place might be in my top 10 Radiohead songs, but frankly there's nothing on Kid A that reaches the majestic beauty of Pyramid Song or the out-of-left-field genius of Life in a Glasshouse. Listen to that New Orleans dirge now in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and it's even more poignant than it was before.


I HAVE to get Amnesiac now! I listened to Kid A in my car today.. to and from work. Everything's In It's Right Place sounded fucking beautiful early in the morning.

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:38 AM
Oh my god.........

Optimistic/In Limbo...... my fav part of the album right now!





What?... don't look at me like I'm a johnny-come-lately!



__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:38 AM
Btw, great post there.. If You Shout! Good to know the album means so much to you! I wanted to reply earlier but it was getting late last night.

Wow... can't believe I dismissed this album back in 2000 just cos it didn't have enough guitar!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 10:36 PM   #37
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 06:38 PM
There's a ton of guitar, it's just that most of it doesn't sound like a guitar...
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #38
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 05:38 PM
I hope you guys are all happy. I'm listening to it now at a deafening volume.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #39
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 05:38 PM
And playing air drums to The National Anthem.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 07:38 PM
nothing beats playing air bass, martha. NOTHING.

especially if you play it really high...geddy lee style.

oh yeah...THAT'S the shit.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 PM   #41
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 05:38 PM
Now you've made me cough.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 09-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:38 AM
you're just living in a fantasy world..................
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 07:38 PM
"Red wine and sleeping pills
help me get back into your arms."

One of the best couplets I've ever heard in a song (one of the best I've ever heard) which I wouldn't hesitate to call one of the best I've ever heard. Such beauty, such heartbreak, such painfully uplifting (???) desolation. And, like most of the great ones, it's able to make me feel like it was written not about somebody or something, but about ME.

God damn it. I really don't have time or emotional stability enough, right now, to fall back in love with this album.
__________________
If you shout... is offline  
Old 09-27-2005, 01:42 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Btw, great post there.. If You Shout! Good to know the album means so much to you! I wanted to reply earlier but it was getting late last night.

Wow... can't believe I dismissed this album back in 2000 just cos it didn't have enough guitar!
Oh, and thank you for reading and "appreciating," for lack of a better word, Zootlesque. Glad to know somebody else is reading, listening, and feeling it.
__________________
If you shout... is offline  
Old 09-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque




I HAVE to get Amnesiac now!
Fuck yes! Amnesiac is amazing - don't listen to the naysayers. It took me longer to get into Kid A than Amnesiac. Even still, I think Kid A is the better of the two, but Amnesiac isn't very far behind. Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box, Pyramid Song, You And Whose Army?, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, and Dollars & Cents are perfection.
__________________

__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com