Kid A & Achtung, Baby. Symbiotic relationship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadsOnSticks

New Yorker
I was just thinking today about how both of these albums were deemed "too difficult" by critics but ended up changing the directions both bands took musically. For the better. Anyone else think "Kid A" by Radiohead & "Achtung, Baby" by U2 are similar?

As I remember it, Achtung Baby received high critical praise upon its release, while Kid A left alot of scratched heads in its wake - because it was a difficult album... AB is more dark than difficult,.. I would say...I dunno :) :shrug:

I would venture that directionally, Kid A and AB are the same in that they marked dramatic turning points musically for the bands. Kid A was the first indication of the Radiohead to come on Amnesiac and HTTT. It is quite different, perhaps radically so, from any of their previous work. AB signified the end of one era and the beginning of another for U2 as well.

Sonically, I think you could liken Kid A to Zooropa. Both were challenging to fans (I'm not sure what critics thought, probably lovers and haters for both albums, depending on the critic). Both were also some place weird and wonderful, imho. Kid A and Zooropa are actually my favorite RH and U2 albums, respectively. It makes sense on one level, I suppose, as I really love for bands to go all experimental.

Then Zooropa can be linked to Amnesiac in the timing and way that they were recorded, right after Kid A and AB. Lots of leftover songs and tour stuff.

That's my $2 worth. Maybe I should have majored in comp lit. :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom