Kholat Syakhl, Russia Superthread - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 AM
And switching gears back to PT for a moment, I've decided that, while I like Moonloop a lot, it just makes The Sky Moves Sideways a bit too long. They should've had Stars Die included, and then on the bonus disc, put the entire 40 minute version of Moonloop there, along with the alternate Sky Moves Sideways.

What a fantastic 2CD set that would've been (although it's still excellent as is).

Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #557
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Ooh, that looks awesome.
yeah the password protection and allowing users to add/delete is cool

http://www.eatlime.com/ is fast - allows the recipient to start dling while you're still uploading!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #558
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

yeah the password protection and allowing users to add/delete is cool

http://www.eatlime.com/ is fast - allows the recipient to start dling while you're still uploading!
As Axver stated previously, it's really a shame that OINK is gone. An official site like that one for a monthly fee would go a long way in solving the music business' problems.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #559
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

As Axver stated previously, it's really a shame that OINK is gone. An official site like that one for a monthly fee would go a long way in solving the music business' problems.
A legal Oink would threaten their current business model and require some very creative thinking. It would also probably require record companies to co-operate. And I think the current crop of executives are simply out of touch with this, and comfortable with the business model they have. Hence the RIAA fights the tide and nobody creates a legal Oink.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #560
Vocal parasite

Quote:
With Born To Run, he clearly set out to create this "big sound", piling on the instruments. Darkness On The Edge Of Town, which followed, is more guitar driven.

And Nebraska is the acoustic record, with just him on guitar and harmonica.

But you most likely won't connect very strongly with either of those, either...
I'll definitely give Darkness On The Edge Of Town an Nebraska a listen, then. I mean, surely if I can connect with music as diverse as U2's October, Norwegian black metal, British prog rock, and the Dunedin Sound, then it isn't a totally lost cause!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

A legal Oink would threaten their current business model and require some very creative thinking. It would also probably require record companies to co-operate. And I think the current crop of executives are simply out of touch with this, and comfortable with the business model they have. Hence the RIAA fights the tide and nobody creates a legal Oink.
Absolutely. The profits of the old days are gone, and they need to get in touch with reality and embrace change. If they worked together and created a site like that, for a monthly fee, plus generating revenue through advertising and marketing, they'd still be quite alright. Will it be the same as before? No, but it's not going to be that way again anyway, so why not move forward?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #562
Vocal parasite

Quote:
And switching gears back to PT for a moment, I've decided that, while I like Moonloop a lot, it just makes The Sky Moves Sideways a bit too long. They should've had Stars Die included, and then on the bonus disc, put the entire 40 minute version of Moonloop there, along with the alternate Sky Moves Sideways.

What a fantastic 2CD set that would've been (although it's still excellent as is).
So what happens to the Improvisation and Coda in that case?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #563
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Speaking of PT...

I really don't mean to be picking on them but I'm not a fan of these lyrics either...

i simply am not here no way i
shut up be happy stop whining please

Of course musically, the song blows away anything in it's path!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #564
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

So what happens to the Improvisation and Coda in that case?
Well, they are both part of the 40 minute version, more or less, so would they be needed?

Unless you just had Moonloop as its own release with all versions, like Voyage 34.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #565
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Absolutely. The profits of the old days are gone, and they need to get in touch with reality and embrace change. If they worked together and created a site like that, for a monthly fee, plus generating revenue through advertising and marketing, they'd still be quite alright. Will it be the same as before? No, but it's not going to be that way again anyway, so why not move forward?
In the next few years, they are really going to have to come to terms with this. We're now seeing bands achieving success online, without the record companies. The Internet hasn't proved to be the death of music as their scaremongering has said; in fact, I think it has been fantastic for music. People are listening to more and creating more. I am increasingly thinking that record companies may become a relic of the past, and those web designers who have the initiative to capitalise on online music will do the best.

I can imagine sites signing bands and giving them distribution and exposure online in a way a simple band website hosting files never could. Imagine something like Oink, with 1,000 bands signed to it, making their music available there rather than through traditional record companies. That would be revolutionary.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #566
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Speaking of PT...

I really don't mean to be picking on them but I'm not a fan of these lyrics either...

I've always been glad that I can't really understand that and it sounds more like syllables blurring together.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #567
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Well, they are both part of the 40 minute version, more or less, so would they be needed?

Unless you just had Moonloop as its own release with all versions, like Voyage 34.
I feel it's nice to have the smaller, more manageable chunks, as the 40 minute thing isn't something I'm going to play just on a whim. But then, this is what we have PT's 10,000 limited releases for.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Speaking of PT...

I actually think those lyrics were done that way on purpose, as if the person in the song is slowly going crazy and the lyrics are becoming inaudible.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I can imagine sites signing bands and giving them distribution and exposure online in a way a simple band website hosting files never could. Imagine something like Oink, with 1,000 bands signed to it, making their music available there rather than through traditional record companies. That would be revolutionary.
This would be an excellent idea.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #570
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I feel it's nice to have the smaller, more manageable chunks, as the 40 minute thing isn't something I'm going to play just on a whim. But then, this is what we have PT's 10,000 limited releases for.
I'd buy a limited release of the complete Moonloop, with all takes and edits included and remastered.

Tags
superthread