Kholat Syakhl, Russia Superthread - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #481
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Heh, I got it going basically right after I posted before.

Awesome site, thanks. If they have the Kitchens of Distinction cd I've been looking for forever, I'll be really fucking happy.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #482
Blue Crack Addict

Argh damn, they don't. But they do have Adorable's Against Perfection, and last time I saw that for sale it was like $50, so yes please!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #483
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Sordo links to here: http://rapid share.com/files/72799923/Swervedriver_-_Raise.rar

I've never gotten a dud from Sordo yet, though sometimes the tagging leaves something to be desired.
bad tagging on u2 start etc pisses me off to no end. you just know everyone went and entered the song names and track numbers on their own - hwat a waste! you'd think they could fix bad ones.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #484
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
interesting. i guess i usually (mistakenly i know) think of blindness as total blindness. which is dumb as i've got extremely severe nearsightedness myself, but it's correctable to 20-20. but there's no way the army could ever draft me! i am hoping some day laser surgery can correct me as i hate hate hate it when i can't see.

so sunlight affects your vision and not just your skin? is it like, everything beyond a meter goes white, or what? is your vision usually blurred, like my classic nearsightedness? i would not be able to read normal font on this laptop screen from typing distance if i didn't have my contacts on.

it's no wonder you don't like movies or tv much.
I'm honestly grateful that my vision cannot be surgically corrected. The idea of things, lasers, whatever in my eyes scares the daylights out of me. Leave my eyes alone! If I could have something done, it would be really hard to make the decision to do it.

Albinism is actually an eye condition; the pale skin is just a symptom and not all albinos have the pale skin. It relates to the pigments in the eyes. With regards to the sunlight, the easiest way to explain it is that my eyes simply do not filter light like normal eyes do. So, no, it's not blurry or anything, just a total washout, and a very painfully blinding washout at that. You know when you go to the movies and you come out into blinding daylight? Imagine if you were like that all the time. You can see why I prefer cloudy days ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #485
Blue Crack Addict

so i don't normally give a shit about gossip, and i don't know why i read the link to this, but it's kinda hilarious

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05062008...ter_109595.htm
Old 05-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #486
Vocal parasite

Quote:

lol that happens to so many of my albums.

i've only listened once. i think it's a cool project and i'd absolutely drop dead of excitement if u2 released something like it to see how the band would work under those conditions, even if the stuff sucked. i really liked the later tracks of the rescue the most and a few i wish they'd develop more. my boyfriend thought it was boring and watered down and such - it certainly doesn't have the same amount of resonance or whatever you would call it when they play the 3 guitars just so.
I need to listen to it more. I know they've played ... either Day Four or Day Six live lately, though not in Melbourne. I haven't taken in what I've heard, it's just been "oh, Your Hand In Mine is done; hey, this is pleasant, I'll wait a while before finding another album to play".

But yeah, the idea is awesome. The Pineapple Thief - a prog band - did a similar thing, though the results aren't as interesting.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #487
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm honestly grateful that my vision cannot be surgically corrected. The idea of things, lasers, whatever in my eyes scares the daylights out of me. Leave my eyes alone! If I could have something done, it would be really hard to make the decision to do it.

Albinism is actually an eye condition; the pale skin is just a symptom and not all albinos have the pale skin. It relates to the pigments in the eyes. With regards to the sunlight, the easiest way to explain it is that my eyes simply do not filter light like normal eyes do. So, no, it's not blurry or anything, just a total washout, and a very painfully blinding washout at that. You know when you go to the movies and you come out into blinding daylight? Imagine if you were like that all the time. You can see why I prefer cloudy days ...
you're not really truly grateful - isn't it better to have the option that you can always elect somewhere down the road or something?

i did hear about implantable permanent contacts that are an alternative to laser surgery, but they're pretty new.

i will say, i'll probably have 1 eye done at a time. just in case they fuck up the first one, i'll still have the other (and a huge ass lawsuit settlement - i don't care what kind of waiver i sign). the idea of my vision getting worse scares the shit out of me, but i want it better so bad, so that's my way to comfort myself.

i gotcha witht he washout, that's what i figured. but in normal light, is it like normal nearsightedness, just super severe? or is it just a washout but you can see further?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #488
Vocal parasite

Quote:

yeah i checked it out. between that and u2start, maybe i'll subscribe to one or two of those dl sites next year when i have an income.

but probably not, i'm a cheap bastard.
If I'm going to pay for music, I'll pay for it by buying the real deal, not by enabling my downloading.

But I prefer to support the artist by buying from them directly, or going to gigs, or whatever. I don't want the money going to record executives and shit, as I believe the record industry is woefully mismanaged and missing the boat these days.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #489
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I need to listen to it more. I know they've played ... either Day Four or Day Six live lately, though not in Melbourne. I haven't taken in what I've heard, it's just been "oh, Your Hand In Mine is done; hey, this is pleasant, I'll wait a while before finding another album to play".

But yeah, the idea is awesome. The Pineapple Thief - a prog band - did a similar thing, though the results aren't as interesting.
it would be cool if they took that record, frozen in time, and then used the best songs on their to create their normal-style stuff. then you could see the evolution.

though it might be different than the evolution of their other stuff, which would also be interesting to see the process for
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #490
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Heh, I got it going basically right after I posted before.

Awesome site, thanks. If they have the Kitchens of Distinction cd I've been looking for forever, I'll be really fucking happy.
What Kitchens of Distinction CD do you want? I'll see if it's on Demonoid.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #491
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

What Kitchens of Distinction CD do you want? I'll see if it's on Demonoid.
Strange Free World. I have Love is Hell and Death of Cool.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #492
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

If I'm going to pay for music, I'll pay for it by buying the real deal, not by enabling my downloading.

But I prefer to support the artist by buying from them directly, or going to gigs, or whatever. I don't want the money going to record executives and shit, as I believe the record industry is woefully mismanaged and missing the boat these days.
well it's mostly for u2start anyway, i've thought about it for a while.

but yes, i agree. i try to buy albums of artists i really like (though honestly there might be one or two u2 albums i don't own, i'd have to check my cd booklet...and i've more than made up with all the merchandise and ticket money!) and i prefer concert tickets (still goes to promoters a bit...ticketmaster ) and direct purchases. i'm also broke. i mean, i have savings, but i'm also going to have to pay for grad school and my college loans, so i am thrifty.

also when i already have the mp3s, this is awful, but then it seems silly to buy them. i have all of eits's stuff for free. if i could buy records from them....

speaking of, all of my records and most of my cd's including some u2 were bought used, and artists see none of that income as far as i know. but you don't see the RIAA suing used cd stores.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #493
Vocal parasite

Quote:

you're not really truly grateful - isn't it better to have the option that you can always elect somewhere down the road or something?

i did hear about implantable permanent contacts that are an alternative to laser surgery, but they're pretty new.

i will say, i'll probably have 1 eye done at a time. just in case they fuck up the first one, i'll still have the other (and a huge ass lawsuit settlement - i don't care what kind of waiver i sign). the idea of my vision getting worse scares the shit out of me, but i want it better so bad, so that's my way to comfort myself.

i gotcha witht he washout, that's what i figured. but in normal light, is it like normal nearsightedness, just super severe? or is it just a washout but you can see further?
Well, I just like being in the position where the decision simply doesn't have to be made. There's some promising gene therapy research being done, but that's a long way away from tangible outcomes. I'd be more comfortable with that than fuckin' lasers. It terrifies me, honestly.

It's hard to describe what things are like in a controlled light setting, like indoors right now at night. I wouldn't say things are blurry or washed out, just ... indistinct and smaller. In a way, it's kind of like low-res. I've never been able to come up with a good way to describe how I see; partly because my only basis for comparison is putting on my glasses, and basically that just magnifies and enlarges things a bit.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #494
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

Strange Free World. I have Love is Hell and Death of Cool.
Damnit, nothing on Demonoid.

I wish Oink was still alive; you could just about guarantee it would've been there.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #495
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Damnit, nothing on Demonoid.

I wish Oink was still alive; you could just about guarantee it would've been there.

Thanks for trying, anyway.

Tags
superthread