Kholat Syakhl, Russia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:

How's that take-home test going? I'm doing it now, getting annoyed cause I've got about 10 awesome sources already, which means I want to write a lot more than 1000 words but can't.

Close to done and will finish it tonight. Got too many sources I want to use too, partly because I'm doing a topic I know well, the Irgun (for question 3).

What are you doing?

Axver said:

But this is the thing: I AM fairly selective. There are plenty of photo opportunities that I simply haven't taken. For example, I almost never shoot a train or tram that's heading away from me.

But I carry my camera at all times and end up using it a lot ...

sometimes i have to remind myself to put down my camera and enjoy looking at stuff with my eyes.

Axver said:

Close to done and will finish it tonight. Got too many sources I want to use too, partly because I'm doing a topic I know well, the Irgun (for question 3).

What are you doing?

I'm doing question two, focusing only on Jemaah Islamiyah (the only way I'll even come close to keeping it down to 1000 words).

It helps that I was living in South-East Asia from 1991 to 2001, and so am reasonably familiar with what went on around then and there, especially 1997 onwards.

mysterious_jen said:

ERGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

fuck bring back the trains !!!!!!!!

You asked for it. This even has a stadium for Ian.

s640x480

Varitek said:

sometimes i have to remind myself to put down my camera and enjoy looking at stuff with my eyes.

:lol:

The main reason I avoid taking photos of trains/trams running away from me is that in Melbourne, all trams and almost all trains have cabs at both ends, so it looks like it's coming towards you when it's not.

Alisaura said:

80s Harrison Ford + Sean Connery = :up:

I love it how Sean Connery manages to seem about 40 years older than Harrison Ford in Last Crusade despite only being a few years older (I think).

Varitek said:
i'm almost off. in a sec. jen are you gonna reply soon (no pressure just i'm actually unplugging my internet and i wanna know if i should wait for a reply first)

have replied, sorry a long one ! i could write a fucking book

Axver said:

:lol:

The main reason I avoid taking photos of trains/trams running away from me is that in Melbourne, all trams and almost all trains have cabs at both ends, so it looks like it's coming towards you when it's not.

:laugh:

Varitek said:
Same here... especially at the first U2 show. Second night I deliberately left the digital at home, but couldn't resist sticking a disposable camera in my pocket... :reject:

major_panic said:

I'm doing question two, focusing only on Jemaah Islamiyah (the only way I'll even come close to keeping it down to 1000 words).

It helps that I was living in South-East Asia from 1991 to 2001, and so am reasonably familiar with what went on around then and there, especially 1997 onwards.

Ahh, right. I've written two essays on the Irgun before, so I knew exactly what sources I wanted and what to say. Easy essay. I'm aiming to hand it in before tomorrow's tute.

Alisaura said:

Same here... especially at the first U2 show. Second night I deliberately left the digital at home, but couldn't resist sticking a disposable camera in my pocket... :reject:

I'm too paranoid to take a camera to a concert. I don't want it confiscated or anything.

major_panic said:
I love it how Sean Connery manages to seem about 40 years older than Harrison Ford in Last Crusade despite only being a few years older (I think).
Connery's 12 years older... but now I think he probably looks better than present-day Mr Ford. :huh:

Axver said:

I'm too paranoid to take a camera to a concert. I don't want it confiscated or anything.

Same, otherwise I'd've some awesome photos from Melb 2. All I ended up getting were some crappy mobile-phone camera shots.

Alisaura said:

Connery's 12 years older... but now I think he probably looks better than present-day Mr Ford. :huh:

But Ford's just awesome in general too...

Sorry, I grew up watching Star Wars and Indiana Jones, so he's kind of my childhood "superhero" idol. Stuff Luke Skywalker, Han Solo was where it was at!

major_panic said:

Same, otherwise I'd've some awesome photos from Melb 2. All I ended up getting were some crappy mobile-phone camera shots.

I would've had the most awesome photos at Explosions In The Sky and Porcupine Tree had I taken my camera.

Shit, I'm just starting to realise that this run of four concerts in the front row is going to make NOT being in the front row rather hard and strange when it finally happens next!

Axver said:

I would've had the most awesome photos at Explosions In The Sky and Porcupine Tree had I taken my camera.

Shit, I'm just starting to realise that this run of four concerts in the front row is going to make NOT being in the front row rather hard and strange when it finally happens next!

u2 front row. you and the pleban posse dont you worry axman, you can take the pics of us fainting and pissing our pants with excitement.

Axver said:

I stuck mine in my armpit, with the loop around my shoulder, under my jacket. It helps that girls get frisked less. I was totally willing to shove it down my pants too. My camera isn't quite small enough/my boobs quite big enough to stash it there.

Next tour, with phones that have like 3mpixel cameras, they will just have to live.

Ali did you get pics with a disposable? they come out so shit for me.

mysterious_jen said:

u2 front row. you and the pleban posse dont you worry axman, you can take the pics of us fainting and pissing our pants with excitement.

:uhoh:

Maybe I'll, uh, just stick with Daniel ...

Axver said:

i took some phone video and pictures at EITS but i mostly used my phone to make audio recordings..whcih of course i haven't figured out how to get onto my computer

Axver said:
Well, it was kinda disguised in this little pouch thing I had round my neck... and I'd been told by people who went to earlier concerts that the security didn't care about little crappy cameras, which mine assuredly is. :happy:

mysterious_jen said:

I thought that was what U2 3D was for...

Varitek said:

i took some phone video and pictures at EITS but i mostly used my phone to make audio recordings..whcih of course i haven't figured out how to get onto my computer

My mobile phone's camera is completely shithouse so I've never tried to use it at a gig.

Hey, did you ever post the set from your gig?

Yes, I KNOW how stereotypical this question is from me.

Alisaura said:

Well, it was kinda disguised in this little pouch thing I had round my neck... and I'd been told by people who went to earlier concerts that the security didn't care about little crappy cameras, which mine assuredly is. :happy:

Matthias and the Germans had no problems getting in their professional cameras or standing around taking shitloads of photos, but ... I'm paranoid. If Matt had his stuff confiscated, he can afford to replace it much more than I can!

Varitek said:

I stuck mine in my armpit, with the loop around my shoulder, under my jacket. It helps that girls get frisked less. I was totally willing to shove it down my pants too. My camera isn't quite small enough/my boobs quite big enough to stash it there.

Next tour, with phones that have like 3mpixel cameras, they will just have to live.

I know that one trick bootleggers use is that they go to a gig with their girlfriend (or obviously do this themselves if they're female, but it seems extremely few women make bootleg recordings) and hide their taping gear in their girlfriend's bag at the bottom under tampons. Apparently it never fails as security won't touch the tampons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom