Kentucky Derby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsPurrl

Blue Crack Supplier
(If this is in the incorrect thread, please move.)

MrPurrl and I always watch the Kentucky Derby on TV. I enjoy the pageantry, the hats, the roses, those beautiful horses, and the actual race itself.

However, this year's race was marred by the second-place finisher, Eight Belles, collapsing with two broken ankles at the finish line, and being euthanized right on the track.

I cried and cried. It made me very sad that one minute that magnificant beautiful little living creature was flying around that track, and a few minutes later she was being put down. :sad:

Sometimes nothing makes sense. :(

MsPurrl said:
(If this is in the incorrect thread, please move.)

MrPurrl and I always watch the Kentucky Derby on TV. I enjoy the pageantry, the hats, the roses, those beautiful horses, and the actual race itself.

However, this year's race was marred by the second-place finisher, Eight Belles, collapsing with two broken ankles at the finish line, and being euthanized right on the track.

I cried and cried. It made me very sad that one minute that magnificant beautiful little living creature was flying around that track, and a few minutes later she was being put down. :sad:

Sometimes nothing makes sense. :(

I cried as well!!! I cried like a baby when Barbaro went down and then euthanized months later.

I'm a Kentuckian and my family live 20 miles away from the track.

Eight Belles was my favorite to win. I wanted the gal to show them boys. She had a great race.

phanan said:
It was a great race, but a very sad ending. She did very well.

By the way, this should be in the sports subforum.

I wondered about that--didn't see any horse racing stuff there, though. This is more emotional for me than sports-related, anyway . . . whatever.

Barbero's death did me in, too.

Barbaro.jpg

IHopeHeCan.gif

I saw the race and was so excited and loved seeing all the high society people and the hats and everything and the beautiful horses and then the second place horse eight bells was injured, broke her 2 front ankles and then euthanized made me so sad I just wanted to cry, it made me so sad.

I saw the replay of the race right afterwards, but never really got to see what happened to Eight Belles. I watched the news and they basically mentioned the winner and that the 2nd place horse had to be put down. How sad :sad:

At first the announcers surmised it was a heart attack or aneurysm (sp?)--I almost wish it had been. She might have gone on her own without so much pain. :sad:

Fuck eight bells and barbaro. I don't know why people give a shit about these horses. There's people dying of disease and war all over the world and people care about these fucking race horses. If you were truely about supporting animals right you would be against these elaborate horse races.

thetitans2k said:
Fuck eight bells and barbaro. I don't know why people give a shit about these horses. There's people dying of disease and war all over the world and people care about these fucking race horses. If you were truely about supporting animals right you would be against these elaborate horse races.

You are an ass.

And just what wonderous things have you done for the poor people dying all over the world, huh? What? Do tell.

thetitans2k said:

I care about them because they were living creatures, just as you and me. I hope I never become so cynical that I don't care about animals, just because they aren't human! :(

Feel free to exit this thread at any time.

MsPurrl said:

I care about them because they were living creatures, just as you and me. I hope I never become so cynical that I don't care about animals, just because they aren't human! :(

Feel free to exit this thread at any time.

You care about them being living creatures only when they die though is my point. You seem to ignore that people are forcing these living creatures into racing, so that they can make a large profit. If these animals weren't forced to race each other they would not be dying. Your views on animal rights are skewed.

Personally, I don't care if they race them and I also don't care when they die when people force them to race. I just hate people who are inconsistent in their views on the issue.

pun intended

thetitans2konahighhorse:

indra said:
And just what wonderous things have you done for the poor people dying all over the world, huh? What? Do tell.

We are all waiting for you to post your achievements......

My personal good deeds have no connection to horse racing. You guys don't know me so don't question my intentions as a person. You guys have yet to attack my argument and have only attacked my person.

thetitans2k said:
You guys don't know me so don't question my intentions as a person. You guys have yet to attack my argument and have only attacked my person.

Well, I would bet that if you came in to this thread and put forth an eloquent argument rather than a rant that included "Fuck eight bell(e)s and barbaro" and "fucking race horses" - people would not question your intentions and attack you.

Pretty classless! You deserve the backlash!

skjuls said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HClCiD5UDM

This is video of Eight Belles going down!

Very tragic. It's hard to watch!

I don't think I can watch this yet.

Someone told me earlier today that one of the reasons that it seems that an increasing number of race horses have such fragile ankles is that they start racing at too early an age. I think I heard prior to the race that Eight Belles was only 1 year old. :(

I hate horse racing, always have. If people want to participate in sport and force themselves beyond the limit of human endurance, then fair play to them. I don't see the point of using animals which don't have a choice in the matter (I also include greyhound racing, horse jumping, dolphins in seaworlds, ferret racing and anything else you'd like to mention). And I REALLY hate betting on horse races.

zoney! said:

Well, I would bet that if you came in to this thread and put forth an eloquent argument rather than a rant that included "Fuck eight bell(e)s and barbaro" and "fucking race horses" - people would not question your intentions and attack you.

Pretty classless! You deserve the backlash!

What backlash? Did you even read what I said other than the "fucks". Your discounted what I've said other than that.

THESE HORSES WOULD NOT DIE IF THEY WERE NOT FORCED TO RACE FOR RICH PEOPLE TO MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY.

I would find it tragic for a horse to die in the wild by being shot by a hunter. I hope you people can make the distinction.

thetitans2k said:

What backlash? Did you even read what I said other than the "fucks". Your discounted what I've said other than that.

THESE HORSES WOULD NOT DIE IF THEY WERE NOT FORCED TO RACE FOR RICH PEOPLE TO MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY.

I would find it tragic for a horse to die in the wild by being shot by a hunter. I hope you people can make the distinction.

So because this was a racing horse, you can't have any empathy, but you could for a wild horse? What makes a wild horses death more tragic than a thoroughbreds death during a race? It's not like the horse has an active role in the decision making process about racing.

thetitans2k said:

This was a very nice, sensitive thread, and I don't think it's very appropriate for you to come here and be so callous. I suggest you either show a little decency and respect towards the feelings of others or else choose to not participate in this thread. If you want to debate the views on racing horses, I think a different thread elsewhere...perhaps in Free Your Mind...would be more proper.

indra said:

You are an ass.

Indra, I 100% understand where you are coming from, however we still can't talk to other members like that.

ok, I have created a thread in FYM so you can continue this debate there. I don't think this thread was meant to be for that at all. Go ahead and take the arguments there.

Titans, I would love for you to explain what you mean in your post about the difference between wild horses and racing horses. To be honest, I don't understand what you mean at all. Clarification in FYM??

Thanks,
Philk

Back
Top Bottom