Keane Postpones US Dates and Cancels some shows in Europe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
Well folks looks like Tom is going into rehab.. The US dates in September have been postponed and festival shows have been cancelled.
Here's the article..

Keane star in rehab, tour shelved

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- The British band Keane have cancelled three concerts and postponed their North American tour after lead singer Tom Chaplin admitted drink and drug addiction and entered a private clinic for treatment.

"I've been having to deal with an increasing problem with drink and drugs, and the time has come to get the professional help I need to sort myself out," Chaplin said on the band's Web site (www.keanemusic.com) on Tuesday.

The band had announced last week that the frontman was suffering from exhaustion.

"I feel desperately disappointed to be letting down our fans, but I want to get myself right now so that I can be back on the road for the rest of the year," he added.

Keane said tickets for the three cancelled concerts, in Ibiza, Edinburgh and Dublin, would be refunded while the U.S. dates in September would be rescheduled in the next few days.

Keane won two Brit awards last year, including the coveted Best British Album prize for "Hopes and Fears".

Their follow-up album, "Under the Iron Sea", went straight in at number one in the charts in June this year.

It takes balls and a lot of class to admit that you have this kind of problem and that you're seeking help.

:up:

I wish him the best.

Agree that it takes balls to admit to yourself that you have a problem and the walk into Rehab to sort it out. :up:

Keane were great supporting U2 in Barcelona. This guy is too good to get beaten by drugs

adrball said:
Agree that it takes balls to admit to yourself that you have a problem and the walk into Rehab to sort it out. :up:

Keane were great supporting U2 in Barcelona. This guy is too good to get beaten by drugs

Amen to that! He has a voice of an angel!:angel:

I am so very sorry to hear about this. I love this band and wish all of the guys the best. "Crystal Ball" is just about my favorite song of the summer. And of course, I loved seeing them opening for U2 twice last fall.

I hope Tom's time in rehab will be successful and he will go on to have a happy and healthy life.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I hope he gets the help he needs, but damnit, I am sick of all these postponements. :sigh:

At least my (rescheduled) Snow Patrol show is coming up...

I hear ya.

And I was really, really looking forward to this show (especially because Razorlight was opening).

But I definitely agree that it takes a lot of guts to admit that he needs help... especially on the eve of a big tour. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs and be able to do a superb job!

BTW, Angel... Snow Patrol rocked (saw them in Boston last week)... it was well worth the wait :)

Oh man... It scares me when I hear stuff like this. Keane is probably my favorite band at the moment. I really, really hope that he beats this.

Westport said:
It takes balls and a lot of class to admit that you have this kind of problem and that you're seeking help.

:up:

I wish him the best.

I have no sympathy for drug addicts. No one put a gun to his head the first time he took drugs - why make him out to be a hero now that he's going into rehab? He should have stopped the first time he took a drink and the first time he put the needle in his arm (or however he consumed his drugs).

Is there some unwritten law that says that rock stars HAVE to use drugs and drink themselves into oblivion??? I thought being a musician was all about MUSIC...not getting high!

Nevertheless, I wish him all the best and good luck.

AchtungBono said:

I have no sympathy for drug addicts. No one put a gun to his head the first time he took drugs - why make him out to be a hero now that he's going into rehab? He should have stopped the first time he took a drink and the first time he put the needle in his arm (or however he consumed his drugs).

Is there some unwritten law that says that rock stars HAVE to use drugs and drink themselves into oblivion??? I thought being a musician was all about MUSIC...not getting high!

Nevertheless, I wish him all the best and good luck.

You are a harsh one. Guess you've never fucked up in your life then, have you? :eyebrow:

indra said:

You are a harsh one. Guess you've never fucked up in your life then, have you? :eyebrow:

How do you define "fucking up"?

I define it like this:
Fucking up is accidentaly hitting someone with a car.
It's an entirely different thing to deliberately ram someone with intent to kill......

Putting a needle in your arm or snorting coke up your nose are willfull acts and have nothing to do with fucking up.

As for your question, yes I've fucked up in my life (like any human being) but I have never done anything to myself with the deliberate intent of causing myself harm. I have NEVER taken drugs and I have NEVER smoked a cigarette in all my 46 years.

AchtungBono said:

How do you define "fucking up"?

I define it like this:
Fucking up is accidentaly hitting someone with a car.
It's an entirely different thing to deliberately ram someone with intent to kill......

Putting a needle in your arm or snorting coke up your nose are willfull acts and have nothing to do with fucking up.

As for your question, yes I've fucked up in my life (like any human being) but I have never done anything to myself with the deliberate intent of causing myself harm. I have NEVER taken drugs and I have NEVER smoked a cigarette in all my 46 years.

:huh: Look no one is making him out to be a hero. We all admire his courage for taking the step now to make himself better and get to a place where he will have some control over these addictions. That is the goal of rehab.

:banghead: Making the decision not to do drugs is not easy (its not as simple as saying no I won't do this) for someone who has a addictive personality. They are aware its wrong but their addiction/need for it overrides their logic.

Since you neither do drugs or drink than who are you to make judgement on this person and what he is going through.

I can tell you either we all here have either dealt with this problem ourselves or are close to someone who has been through this so we all know how difficult it is to make this step.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

Since you neither do drugs or drink than who are you to make judgement on this person and what he is going through.

I don't understand your statement. I don't have to stick my hand in the fire to know that I'll get burned, right?....what does my not drinking or smoking have anything to do with my saying that it's a bad thing?

AchtungBono said:

I don't understand your statement. I don't have to stick my hand in the fire to know that I'll get burned, right?....what does my not drinking or smoking have anything to do with my saying that it's a bad thing?

We all know doing these things is wrong (a bad thing as you put it) and what the consequences are if we do them but what I said in my post is that for people who have these addictive behaviors/personalities which a lot of time are part of your dna make up, meaning that if your parents (or someone in your immediate family) were alcoholics/drug addicts then you are at high risk for these addictions.

Don't be so quick to judge someone on something that you don't seem to know much about is all I am saying. Everyone has a right to an opinion here but what you are saying is not so well-founded.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

We all know doing these things is wrong (a bad thing as you put it) and what the consequences are if we do them but what I said in my post is that for people who have these addictive behaviors/personalities which a lot of time are part of your dna make up, meaning that if your parents (or someone in your immediate family) were alcoholics/drug addicts then you are at high risk for these addictions.

Thank you for your explanation. You are right up to a point.

On the other hand, if your parents (or anyone else you know) were alcoholics/drug addicts then you SAW the destructive effect that their addiction had on them so you do everything in your power NOT to repeat their mistakes.

If I may stray off topic for a second, this is why I don't understand child abusers and killers (NOT that I am comparing Tom to them in any way) - they ask for leniency because THEY were abused as children, so what??? Someone should suffer because YOU were fucked up as a kid?? What kind of nonsense is that? It's like me punching YOU in the face because someone else pissed me off.........If you were abused as a child then you do everything you can to prevent someone else suffering the way you did......am I correct?

last guy i would of thought was on hard drugs , shouldnt be suprised really.

Back
Top Bottom