Keane kinda sucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: lame

zonelistener said:

Anytime someone starts a thread with "SO and SO SUCKS" - it turns into a disaster. Especially if Coldplay or items related to Coldplay are involved. We do not need that shit here!

As for stirring shit...you have all of what, 12 posts as of right now? You have mentioned something about a Arcade Fire leak and made a comment about U2 stealing from the Beatles.

Cowards hide behind alters. Even with two usernames here...I am not hiding anything. Everyone knows who zoney!/zonelistener is....as well as my other alters.

What do you have to hide, Chris Martin?

stating the obvious, about u2 stealing a little from the beatles currently, and predicting that the new arcade fire will probably leak soon...how is that stirring shit?

the title of this thread wasn't "keane sucks", it was "keane kinda sucks". there's a difference there. and there was a question in the original post.

regarding the coldplay issue...look back, i've tried to keep the discussion focused on keane not coldplay.

i honestly don't know what your problem is and i frankly don't care. but i have no desire to argue with you anymore.

Chris Martin said:
Apart from Isn't it a wonder, i didn't really hear anything that i hadn't heard before.

Well, you probably have heard "Is It Any Wonder" before. It used to be called "Zoo Station". lol.

As for the alter discussion... I'm lost.

Keane is a really good band...They're fairly new and I see them getting better. I met the guys a few years back in a bar in Boston and they are the nicest, most humble people. Their music is pretty melancholy, but Tom's voice is amazing. If he went back to playing the guitar and they used less synth, Keane would be a better band...Lyrically, for a "new" band, they're not too bad. Basically in Keane I see a good band with a lot of potential to be a better band...

MOVING ALONG.

I like that one song wonder whatever but that's about it.

I'm not gonna say much because this is clearly a negative thread and I love Keane. They're very possibly my favorite band of this decade.

Zootlesque said:
I'm not gonna say much because this is clearly a negative thread and I love Keane. They're very possibly my favorite band of this decade.

no please say what you like about them.

maybe i haven't been giving them a big enough chance.

how is their first album?

Chris Martin said:

no please say what you like about them.

maybe i haven't been giving them a big enough chance.

how is their first album?

Okay, what I like about Keane:

1. The melodies! Such beautiful songs with just a piano and drums. Generally I'm nuts about guitar oriented rock but here I don't find myself missing the guitar at all. Shows me that if music created from a few instruments is good enough, then nothing else matters.

2. Tom's voice. He carries the songs so well. Great range and he sounds like a pro reaching pretty much any pitch effortlessly. I find his voice a lot more appealing than say, Chris Martin's... if we have to bring Coldplay into this.

Effortless is the word here. They don't sound like they're trying too hard like U2 on HTDAAB or The Killers on Sam's Town. So Is It Any Wonder sounds like it is inspired by U2. Big whoop. I think it stands on it's own quite well. You know, many people in EYKIW say stuff like, U2 is playing pure pop music now, so what? Does everything have to have guitars? Um, no. And Keane is the perfect example of pure pop done deliciously well. Hopes & Fears is what I wished ATYCLB would have been. Under The Iron Sea is what I wish HTDAAB would have been. The former is bright and sunny. The latter is dark and serious. Both brilliant.

You all might find this amusing, or want to beat someone, either way.

The DJ on my radio station started to play that Wonder song and he goes, "Here's Keane! They sound a lot like U2"

:|

:coocoo:

martha said:
The singer can't carry a tune, people.

:huh:

Are you sure you're listening to the same Keane I am?

I quite prefer Hopes and Fears to Under the Iron Sea.

I love the melodies and simple beauty of the songs on the Hopes and Fears, and all the songs seem so effortless (to borrow Zootlesque's word).

Under the Iron Sea doesn't have that extra little something special that Hopes and Fears has.

Last edited:
Aygo said:
Zoo Station -> Bottoms (Zoo Station remix) -> Is It Any Wonder?

Is It Any Wonder (esp. the intro) actually sounds more like EBTTRT to me. Don't know why everyone keeps comparing it to Zoo Station.

Re: lame

zonelistener said:

Cowards hide behind alters. Even with two usernames here...I am not hiding anything. Everyone knows who zoney!/zonelistener is....as well as my other alters.

I know I'm not one of the "cool kids" so I don't know what your other alters are. So what are they?

Zootlesque said:
Hopes & Fears is what I wished ATYCLB would have been. Under The Iron Sea is what I wish HTDAAB would have been.

By the way, I didn't necessarily mean to slag U2 off with that comment. Depending on my mood, I enjoy listening to all 4 albums. But the Keane CDs sound more natural and effortless to me than the U2 ones.

Zootlesque said:

Okay, what I like about Keane:

1. The melodies! Such beautiful songs with just a piano and drums. Generally I'm nuts about guitar oriented rock but here I don't find myself missing the guitar at all. Shows me that if music created from a few instruments is good enough, then nothing else matters.

2. Tom's voice. He carries the songs so well. Great range and he sounds like a pro reaching pretty much any pitch effortlessly. I find his voice a lot more appealing than say, Chris Martin's... if we have to bring Coldplay into this.

Effortless is the word here. They don't sound like they're trying too hard like U2 on HTDAAB or The Killers on Sam's Town. So Is It Any Wonder sounds like it is inspired by U2. Big whoop. I think it stands on it's own quite well. You know, many people in EYKIW say stuff like, U2 is playing pure pop music now, so what? Does everything have to have guitars? Um, no. And Keane is the perfect example of pure pop done deliciously well. Hopes & Fears is what I wished ATYCLB would have been. Under The Iron Sea is what I wish HTDAAB would have been. The former is bright and sunny. The latter is dark and serious. Both brilliant.

:love: :love: :love:

I was going to respond to this thread earlier, but I knew you'd come 'round and say exactly what I wanted to say.

Sicy said:
So you guys agree with the DJ :sad:

Sure, they sound alike sometimes. But if you're going to sound like a band, it might as well be a great band like U2. :love:

PlaTheGreat said:
Sure, they sound alike sometimes. But if you're going to sound like a band, it might as well be a great band like U2. :love:

I can see some likenesses with the music, but please dont tell me you guys think the singer sounds like Bono (I think the dj said this as well and I was like huh :huh: )

Re: Re: lame

indra said:
I know I'm not one of the "cool kids" so I don't know what your other alters are. So what are they?

You can pm him if you want.
We're supposed to be moving along here.

Keane sounding like U2? :eyebrow:

Didn't sound anything like them when they supported in Barcelona but they were greeeaaaaaaaat! :wink:

Re: Re: Re: lame

Sicy said:

You can pm him if you want.
We're supposed to be moving along here.

Sorry. Bust since he was bragging that everyone knew all his alters I just thought he'd like to list them. Obviously not everyone does know them all.

I don't need to know badly enough to bother PMing him though.

...moving right along...

Keane. I like a couple of their songs enough to buy them and I do listen to those songs. I don't think I would buy a whole album of their's though (at least not right now). So I guess I fall into the "they're ok" camp. They are certainly loads better than many of the "hot new thing" bands right now.

Sicy said:

I can see some likenesses with the music, but please dont tell me you guys think the singer sounds like Bono (I think the dj said this as well and I was like huh :huh: )

Nah, Tom can sing a sweet little lamb to sleep and still belt it out like Is It Any Wonder?
I think Bono lost his sweet little lamb voice a long time ago. (As Canadiens pointed out in the Saints commentary.)

I mean, this is if we are talking about style.
If we are talking about actual voices... :huh: :huh:

martha said:
The singer can't carry a tune, people.

Doesn't matter, the songs are bloody good. That's all that matters. Thomy Yorke's voice can sometimes sound so out of whack that it sounds brilliant....

It's all about the melodies and the delicious hooks with Keane, and for many, they are utterly mesmerising....

Bedshaped
Bend and Break
Everybody's Changing
This Is The Last Time

All brilliant....

Planning on getting UTIS very soon...will probably enjoy it. Is It Any Wonder was captivating enough and Crystal Ball just sounded like the music you'd always hear in Utopia....effing fabulous.

What their b-sides like?

VintagePunk said:
Similarly, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get Snow Patrol's appeal. I hear them, and they're just a big pile of meh. :yawn:

They're a steaming pile of meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom