Katie's Crotch Road, North New Portland, Maine Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ax, uni question. If a 200-level course says it requires 12 credit points to get into, does that have to be 12 points from that subject, faculty or in general?

I'd assume from the relevant disciplinary school within that faculty.

e.g. at Melbourne, second year History courses require 12.5 points of first year History, which you get off just one subject (nobody seems to know why you get such an odd number of credits but welcome to the system). If there are special requirements, they tend to state. Those are rare in Arts outside of linguistics and languages, but more common elsewhere. I think in History and PolSci, the only time I ever saw special prerequisites was for 2nd/3rd year International Relations, where your 12.5 points (or sometimes 25 points) in PolSci had to include a first year International Relations course.

I'd assume from the relevant disciplinary school within that faculty.

e.g. at Melbourne, second year History courses require 12.5 points of first year History, which you get off just one subject (nobody seems to know why you get such an odd number of credits but welcome to the system). If there are special requirements, they tend to state. Those are rare in Arts outside of linguistics and languages, but more common elsewhere. I think in History and PolSci, the only time I ever saw special prerequisites was for 2nd/3rd year International Relations, where your 12.5 points (or sometimes 25 points) in PolSci had to include a first year International Relations course.

Okay, so let's say you want to do 201 - Nuking Iran in Modern, and Modern and Ancient are in the same faculty. (simplicity here, folks.) If the prereq is 12cp, I need to do 12cp of Modern History and not just History?

that kinda bodes well. lendl seems completely beatable to me, i just need to not choke on my serve.

I found that the methods I used to beat Lendl, I could use to beat Agassi, and that they were more effective thanks to it being a hard court - shots that would slow enough on clay for Lendl to return and fuck me over, they just sailed right past Agassi.

As soon as you get in a long rally with him though, you're fucked because he's so fast. You have to ace him or set it up so that you can quickly smack a winner past.

I found that the methods I used to beat Lendl, I could use to beat Agassi, and that they were more effective thanks to it being a hard court - shots that would slow enough on clay for Lendl to return and fuck me over, they just sailed right past Agassi.

As soon as you get in a long rally with him though, you're fucked because he's so fast. You have to ace him or set it up so that you can quickly smack a winner past.

that's exactly what i found with becker. funnily enough i have some great rallies against lendl, but obviously i'm not winning enough of them.

i have found that if all you're doing when you return a serve is setting him up for a winner, just return the serve with a lob. it gave me a much better chance when things were going badly. still a poor success ratio, but better to give yourself a shot.

Okay, so let's say you want to do 201 - Nuking Iran in Modern, and Modern and Ancient are in the same faculty. (simplicity here, folks.) If the prereq is 12cp, I need to do 12cp of Modern History and not just History?

This will really depend on whether the School of Archaeology/Ancient History/Classical Studies (whatever the fuck they want to call themselves) is separate from the School of History. In my experience they tend to be. In that case, to do Nuking Iran, you would need 12 of Modern History.

I think the basic question to ask yourself is "have I been taught the relevant skills for this discipline before?" If not, you need to do a first year subject beforehand - and as we both know, doing ancient history requires all kinds of different techniques to modern history.

This will really depend on whether the School of Archaeology/Ancient History/Classical Studies (whatever the fuck they want to call themselves) is separate from the School of History. In my experience they tend to be. In that case, to do Nuking Iran, you would need 12 of Modern History.

I think the basic question to ask yourself is "have I been taught the relevant skills for this discipline before?" If not, you need to do a first year subject beforehand - and as we both know, doing ancient history requires all kinds of different techniques to modern history.

Okay, but I'm just saying that for simplicity's sakes, the History is all together. (it's a small uni or whatever.) Yes, we both know they're different disciplines, but this is a science uni or whatever.

Okay, how about this. PolSci and Modern are in the school of history. Would PolSci count towards Modern History credit points?

that's exactly what i found with becker. funnily enough i have some great rallies against lendl, but obviously i'm not winning enough of them.

i have found that if all you're doing when you return a serve is setting him up for a winner, just return the serve with a lob. it gave me a much better chance when things were going badly. still a poor success ratio, but better to give yourself a shot.

Oh man, I'm wary of lobs after the amount of times I've copped a smash return I couldn't play! But oh yeah, they can be bloody effective to just give you enough time to run into a better position.

Incidentally, I've found that if the opponent runs from, say, the left of court to play the net at centre, hit the ball back where he came from, and it will tend to sail right past him if you angle it far enough. Do the same to the right of court and he'll reach it.

Oh man, I'm wary of lobs after the amount of times I've copped a smash return I couldn't play! But oh yeah, they can be bloody effective to just give you enough time to run into a better position.

Incidentally, I've found that if the opponent runs from, say, the left of court to play the net at centre, hit the ball back where he came from, and it will tend to sail right past him if you angle it far enough. Do the same to the right of court and he'll reach it.

i'm fluking more smash returns than my opponent ever has.

i'm so wary of playing the net because i seemingly only ever hit the ball right into it rather than, you know, over it. but needs must, etc.

Okay, but I'm just saying that for simplicity's sakes, the History is all together. (it's a small uni or whatever.) Yes, we both know they're different disciplines, but this is a science uni or whatever.

Okay, how about this. PolSci and Modern are in the school of history. Would PolSci count towards Modern History credit points?

Well then, you'd probably be able to do it. I mean I can't say for sure, but unless they explicitly state there are specific prerequisite courses, points from the disciplinary school - regardless of the course they're from - should be good enough.

Though you raise an interesting point, since I've encountered unis that put PolSci and Criminology together despite their differences ... I think they always stated "x points of first year political science" in that case though, to avoid crim students getting in over their heads.

Well then, you'd probably be able to do it. I mean I can't say for sure, but unless they explicitly state there are specific prerequisite courses, points from the disciplinary school - regardless of the course they're from - should be good enough.

Though you raise an interesting point, since I've encountered unis that put PolSci and Criminology together despite their differences ... I think they always stated "x points of first year political science" in that case though, to avoid crim students getting in over their heads.

Okay. I'm just trying to sort out my first year stuff. At this point it's looking like Psych, Phil, Anc, Modern.

i'm fluking more smash returns than my opponent ever has.

i'm so wary of playing the net because i seemingly only ever hit the ball right into it rather than, you know, over it. but needs must, etc.

Oh man, I fluked some absolutely ridiculous smash returns against Lendl. Including one freakish rally I can barely describe ... he lobbed, I smashed back, I thought it had gone through him but no, I charged the centre of the net, drop return, he charged and did the same, then we both tried to angle it past each other with drops about three times until I somehow skidded it to the left and won the point. I've never hit A so quickly so many times in a row!

Also, do you do drop shots from the baseline much? Great to suck the opponent in to the centre, then before he gets the chance to angle it sharp left/right and fuck you, charge his return and whack it past him.

Oh and I was going to say, much love to ASOH. :drool:

Daniel, I passed MOTHERFUCKING AGASSI TOO!

Okay. I'm just trying to sort out my first year stuff. At this point it's looking like Psych, Phil, Anc, Modern.

Ah, you're doing the classic "four subjects from four different disciplines" thing? That can put you in good stead for second year when you decide what you really want to focus on, since most second year courses in the Humanities require you to have done just one or two first year subjects from the relevant discipline.

Though I was always single-mindedly focused on History and PolSci, and could take second year courses in my second semester of first year as I had already accrued enough points in my first semester. That was a challenge but very rewarding in the end (my best mark that semester came from the second year subject!).

Just for the record, when Lendl was frustrating me, firstly I was mocking him by calling him "Lentil", and then "Cuntlentil".

Boris Becker was "Cuntsack".

How about you guys? :laugh:

Oh and I was going to say, much love to ASOH. :drool:

Daniel, I passed MOTHERFUCKING AGASSI TOO!

I just read back :up::up: I've never had so much trouble with anyone until Agassi. Borg is way too good for me right now. I'll have a crack it him at some stage.

So Much for getting some sleep!

I finally found a good quality of RTSS done right (apart from U2 of course)

Ah, you're doing the classic "four subjects from four different disciplines" thing? That can put you in good stead for second year when you decide what you really want to focus on, since most second year courses in the Humanities require you to have done just one or two first year subjects from the relevant discipline.

Though I was always single-mindedly focused on History and PolSci, and could take second year courses in my second semester of first year as I had already accrued enough points in my first semester. That was a challenge but very rewarding in the end (my best mark that semester came from the second year subject!).

Yeah, ideally.

The problem is, units are worth 3cp a uni at Macquarie, and you need 12 to go to 200 level.

i usually stick with motherfucker.

i don't want to drop the c-bomb too often in case someone here hears it and doesn't approve....

Given some of what I've sung along to, I figure 'cunt' really isn't the worst thing my neighbours could possibly overhear from me. :lol:

I just read back :up::up: I've never had so much trouble with anyone until Agassi. Borg is way too good for me right now. I'll have a crack it him at some stage.

So Much for getting some sleep!

I finally found a good quality of RTSS done right (apart from U2 of course)

I feel like I've restored some personal pride against you by beating Agassi first go! :laugh:

Is Borg on clay? This could be tough.

I'm with Ian, I usually yell out motherfucker or cunt. smash the keyboard and play the next point :giggle:

I can be a total McEnroe sometimes with the line calls ...!

I feel like I've restored some personal pride against you by beating Agassi first go! :laugh:

Is Borg on clay? This could be tough.

I can be a total McEnroe sometimes with the line calls ...!

Borg is fucking mental. Hes fast. I can imagine Sampras is going to have an impossible serve.

As with the Line calls, they are so hit and miss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom