Kariya and Sellane signed with the Avs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
Paul Kariya and Teemu Sellane just signed with the Colorado Avalanche!!! Yikes!:mad: :censored: :evil: :censored: :mac:

i think they need to sign a goalie on their team though

preferably one who has a name which is pronounced differently from the way its spelled

how do you canadians (most probably french canadians) get a 'rua' out of 'R-O-Y'?

I already posted this in the "Lets' Make a Deal" thread, but it's a pretty big story. I can't believe this. Colorado doesn't need to get a good goalie now. They're going to be scoring huge amounts this year. With Sakic, Hejduk, Forsberg, Kariya, and Selanne all up front, they could pull their goalie for an extra attacker all game, and would probably win 186-50. Can you imagine their already scary powerplay? I certainly can't fathom such a thing. It might be the best powerplay of all time.

This is unbelievable. Vancouver was trying to sign Kariya, too. I'm pissed!

AvsGirl, you! You!!! :sexywink:

Last edited:
I hope they're versatile.

I can see Kariya in net.

Stack the pads little man!!!

I don't believe this! Kariya took an 8.8 million dollar paycut!!! He signed a 1 year 1.2 million dollar deal! Vancouver could have signed him!!! I'm sooo pissed right now. :mad:

Here's the full story:

http://canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id=9278CBC0-8E25-44BE-8EF9-65AEC479BB5D

Avalanche sign Kariya, Selanne while Red Wings sign Hatcher

PIERRE LEBRUN
Canadian Press

Thursday, July 03, 2003

(CP) - The floodgates opened on the NHL's free-agent market Thursday. The Colorado Avalanche struck a major deal by signing unrestricted free agents Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne, reuniting the two former Anaheim Mighty Ducks linemates.

And it didn't cost them much. A source said Kariya agreed to a one-year, $1.2-million US contract, a gigantic pay cut from the $10 million he earned last season and even under the $1.79 million league average salary.

The reasoning behind that is probaly because Kariya, 28, would then qualify for Group 5 unrestricted free agency next summer because he would be a 10-year NHL veteran making less than the league average salary.

Selanne, meanwhile, agreed to a one-year, $5.8-million deal, a $700,000 pay cut from last season.

The Detroit Red Wings also got in on the act Thursday, signing superstar defenceman Derian Hatcher, also an unrestricted free agent, according to a source.

The Avs called a 4 p.m. EDT news conference in Denver while the Wings scheduled a 3 p.m. EDT announcement in Detroit.

The Avs came from seemingly nowhere to reel in the speedy Kariya and Selanne. The Ducks made the difficult choice of not tendering Kariya a qualifying offer Monday night, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Selanne, 33, became an unrestricted free agent after declining to pick up his player option with the San Jose Sharks for next season worth $6.5 million US.

There had been speculation in recent weeks the the Ducks would try to lure Selanne to Anaheim to appease Kariya but he never gave them a chance after not getting a qualifying offer.

Kariya had 25 goals and 56 assists in 82 regular-season games and six goals and six assists in 21 post-season games for the Mighty Ducks.

Selanne had 28 goals and 36 assists in 82 games for the Sharks, who did not make the post-season this year.

The two players were teammates and occasionally linemates with the Ducks for parts of six seasons from 1995-96 to 2000-01.

The Avs can now boast a who's who among their forwards with Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk and Alex Tanguay. Sakic and Kariya played together on Canada's 2002 Olympic champion team.

Now Colorado must figure out their goaltending picture after the retirement of Patrick Roy.

Rookie Phil Sauve and career backup David Aebischer are the only present goalies the Avs have for next season, not a great compliment to the rest of Colorado's star-studded roster which also includes defencemen Adam Foote, Rob Blake and Derek Morris.

It's shaping up to be another Colorado-Detroit battle in the Western Conference after the Wings also added a major piece Thursday.

Hatcher, 31, is a Michigan native who had expressed a desire to return home. It's believed he has agreed to a five-year contract worth around $6 million a season.

The Dallas Stars are believed to have offered a four-year deal to retain his services.

The Wings had money to spend after breaking ties with unrestricted free agent centre Sergei Fedorov on Wednesday.

Hatcher was a Norris Trophy nominee last season after putting up eight goals and 22 assists, 106 penalty minutes and a stellar plus-37 rating in 82 games with the Stars, the only team he's ever played for in his 12-year NHL career.

The six-foot-five, 235-pound blue-liner plays over 25 minutes a game and has the ability to single-handedly shut down the opposition's top offensive weapon.

The Wings now have a blue-line that also includes Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom as well as Mathieu Schneider, Mathieu Dandenault, Chris Chelios and Jiri Fischer.

Michael Griffiths said:
Colorado doesn't need to get a good goalie now.

that is a dangerous statement

i think kariya has expressed interest in winning the cup.

Last edited:
Like I said in the other thread, as cool as it is, I think Lacroix has something up his sleeve and I'll bet it involves Curtis Joseph.

See, this is what I hate about Pierre Lacroix. "We won't sign free agents." He loves his intrigue too much--other GM's are perfectly straightforward and just as successful. That's why something is up. So, his claims of going with Aebischer (who I am rooting for, he deserves a shot) are probably just lies. Or maybe Roy is going to come out of retirement for this steamrun to the Cup? :laugh:

Think of what young forwards he can trade now, if he wants to and no one will blink an eye because we have Kariya and Selanne. (Please, not Tanguay!!)

And this still doesn't solve our problem of our third and fourth lines--we have plenty of firepower, but what about some grit?
That is what has tripped up the Avs for the last 2 seasons.

kobayashi said:
that is a dangerous statement

It is... look at the Rangers, Blues, and Flyers.

Stacked up front, weak behind. None have won the cup in the past decade... well past 3 I guess.

LMAO!!! You guys honestly thought I was being serious with the "not needing a good goalie" comment? haha, it's called hyperbole, my friends. :wink:

But I think AvsGirl is right about this all coming down to Curtis Joseph. Lacroix is sooo devious, he just might be the devil. I almost admire him for that, actually. Very cunning.

this totally sucks.

brian burke needs to get off his ass and pull the trigger on something big too pull them over the hump.

at least re-sign klatt!

season tickets are going up in price, and hes been given the green light by the owner to spend more money so why doesnt he acquire someone?!!?

burke comes from the quinn school of management. they dont do anything during the summers.

kobayashi said:
burke comes from the quinn school of management. they dont do anything during the summers.

Except Golf.

Early.

Ouch.

That hurt me :down:

cujo said:

It is... look at the Rangers, Blues, and Flyers.

Stacked up front, weak behind. None have won the cup in the past decade... well past 3 I guess.

didnt the rangers win in '94?

jackass

:wink:

why dont some east temas try signing some people. sheesh, its the same thing every year, western teams load up against each other.

Chizip said:
didnt the rangers win in '94?

It's 2003... I'm sorry I skipped a year.

I'm not as good at keeping track of losing streaks like you.

:up:

My brother and father are huge Colorado fans and they're beside themselves right now.

Is their favorite player the Croatian Sensation? :sexywink:

I want to be beside myself. Why can't I be happy?? :reject: Why must I spend my time suspecting Lacroix?

This season is going to be really, really interesting though...

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:
Is their favorite player the Croatian Sensation? :sexywink:

Hehehe, of course.

I have a very good friend whose neighbour is some Croatian guy related to the Sakic family (or his wife's family) in some way. My dad is still trying to figure out how to get an in. :yes:

Future mayor of Vancouver speaks:

Hey Anitran, Joe Sakic is a good Vancouver boy. I worked with someone who was related by marriage to him.

And, Avs Girl: with the additon of Kariya, how does it feel now to have a couple good Vancouver boys in your lineup? :sexywink:

So what kind of Mayor are you Michael?

Jerry Springer or Marion Barry?

anitram said:

Hehehe, of course.

I have a very good friend whose neighbour is some Croatian guy related to the Sakic family (or his wife's family) in some way. My dad is still trying to figure out how to get an in. :yes:

LOL! I would be trying too! You have to grab them where you can. He lives somewhere in this area, but I've never seen him.
:p

Michael Griffiths said:
Future mayor of Vancouver speaks:

Hey Anitran, Joe Sakic is a good Vancouver boy. I worked with someone who was related by marriage to him.

And, Avs Girl: with the additon of Kariya, how does it feel now to have a couple good Vancouver boys in your lineup? :sexywink:

:laugh:

Special? Good? Very good? Good forwards come out of Vancouver, it must be something in the water. :hmm:

Still, I have a bias for Litomerice, as home towns go. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom