Kardinia Park, Geelong, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say pretty hard. You could probably get published in mX, they've got like an opinion section which features some random writer every day, but in not sure that's the sort of publication you're looking for :wink:

Yet it looks like if you have any random credentials to wave around, you can get published in The Age. "Hi, I'm some former member for the electorate of Bumfuckistan in state parliament, can I write an editorial?" "Sure, we'll publish it tomorrow alongside an opinion piece by Pastor Jones of Minor Denominational Church in Tiny Gippsland Town X." Never mind that they're both writing about the mining industry.

You know what... I could do a "my voice" on you. It's where we interview someone but publish it in their words. But there'd have to be something remotely newsworthy about it.

I First heard about the Kuntsmuseum in early 2008.
However it wasn't until 2009 when I actually thought about pulling a prank on interference
Initially it was hard to believe that everyone was believing us
But we went with it and the rest as they say is history.

:wink:

:lmao:

You know what... I could do a "my voice" on you. It's where we interview someone but publish it in their words. But there'd have to be something remotely newsworthy about it.

Oh, it was just idle curiosity really. I'm trying to up the volume of my writing, as I feel like I'm no longer in good form, especially not for my thesis, and nothing keeps me in good form like writing all the time. Now, some stuff I write can obviously be submitted for peer reviewed academic journals, but I don't want to just write on my field of academic expertise (or in academic journals with ridiculously low readership). I just keep looking at op-ed pages in The Age and I know I can write just as well as that, if not better - especially compared to some pieces that are barely better than gibberish. At least I can write for The Conversation ... the moment I can think of anything that's even loosely related to my fields of expertise.

Yet it looks like if you have any random credentials to wave around, you can get published in The Age. "Hi, I'm some former member for the electorate of Bumfuckistan in state parliament, can I write an editorial?" "Sure, we'll publish it tomorrow alongside an opinion piece by Pastor Jones of Minor Denominational Church in Tiny Gippsland Town X." Never mind that they're both writing about the mining industry.

I bet you could get it if you spelt it "Bhumphuckistan."

Haha, and how bloody easy it is for hacks to get into university and waste tutors' time.

And thanks to Charlotte's prodding, we're listening to the new Coldplay album. :uhoh: There's a song with Rihanna? Oh god.

Hurts Like Heaven is just ... WTF. Don't try to be a dance pop band, Coldplay.

Where are you up to?

I only listened to the album yesterday and I can't even remember how the vast majority of the songs sound like. It's like mashed potato but instead of good old potatoes you feel the need to stuff beetroot, chicken, rice and chocolate into it.

I don't even know if what I said makes sense but it just seems that they're going for way too much, it's an assault on the ears.

Funnily enough, I've got an urge to listen to Viva La Vida.

:lmao: That's a pretty good comparison I think. Stop trying to expand your palette, Coldplay; you're not very good at it. Just up to UFO now. Us Against The World in particular was horrible ... though what was up with that "drunk like Daniel" lyric!

Troublingly, that Hurts Like Heaven silliness actually seems to be one of the better songs so far.

Shit, I didn't mean to download Rihanna's latest single- oh wait.

Seriously, is Coldplay even on this?! Did the other band members just not show up one day so Chrissy gave Rihanna a call?

On another note, and I shouldn't be surprised, but I absolutely detest how every Coldplay thread turns into a slinging match with some people going out of their way to infer that if a U2 fan doesn't like the album, it's because they're a U2 fan or something like that. Worst thing is, it'll never change.

Shit, I didn't mean to download Rihanna's latest single- oh wait.

Seriously, is Coldplay even on this?! Did the other band members just not show up one day so Chrissy gave Rihanna a call?

I think the band members were so embarrassed about the fact that Chris wanted Rihanna on the album that they stayed at least a mile away from the track.

Having said that, I don't really mind the part before Rihanna comes in.

I just hate how any mention of Coldplay turns into a pointless slinging match, regardless of what exactly the slinging match is about. I can't believe such a bland, middle-of-the-road band inspires such heightened emotions. At least when people argue about Radiohead or Animal Collective or whatever, it's kind of justified.

PS Could the interlude tracks on Mylo Xyloto be ANY MORE POINTLESS?

Do they ever!

This album is neither here nor there to me, a few lulz and a few nice enough melodies, so it gets a painfully average 2.5/5. Juuust not quite enough lulz to mark it down to 2/5.

Cross posting. My first big cover story. :D it's about mixed martial arts, Warrior, fight clubs, and why people fight.

http://www.thecityweekly.com.au/new...es-suburban-warriors/2329613.aspx?storypage=0

Unfortunately the sub editors played around with it a fair bit, but that's writing I spose. There's one grammatical mistake (see if you can pick it up) and they also spelt the director's name wrong, even though I didn't.

But still, yay for me!

And here's the Joel Edgerton interview.

http://www.thecityweekly.com.au/new...-edgerton-back-to-the-fight-club/2329620.aspx

I'll be getting one when I get paid! (Plus BDO, Future and more)

Reason #1 I don't like FYM - rather than celebrate/discuss Qaddafi's demise, let's descend into a pathetic argument about Bush & Obama.

Yo, Ax, what's up with the SUPER buried deathgrowls in Panopticon? I'm doing a bunch of writing and this is surprisingly excellent background music. Not at all what I was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom