Kanye West - Graduation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
I haven't got much of a chance to listen to it yet, but it leaked today. I already know I really like 'Stronger' and I've got pretty high hopes for this album after the disappointing Late Registration.

Anyone else a fan of the Louis Vuitton Don?

I'll end up checking this out sometime. :up:

Late Registration wasn't that bad, but it wasn't great either, hopefully this one will deliver.

Drive slow, homey.

I like Kanye. With most hip hop artists I'm somewhat interested in, I like a handful of the songs and skip right past the rest.

But with Kanye, I like more of the songs than I usually do on other hip hop artists' CDs.

late registration couldn't top college drop out. it wasn't that it was awful, i just liked dropout better. it's still a pretty solid cd. i have high expectations for graduation. i'm curious about the title of the next cd.

postgraduate admissions
orientation
master's thesis
dissertation
graduate assistantship
financial aid

unico said:
late registration couldn't top college drop out. it wasn't that it was awful, i just liked dropout better. it's still a pretty solid cd. i have high expectations for graduation. i'm curious about the title of the next cd.

postgraduate admissions
orientation
master's thesis
dissertation
graduate assistantship
financial aid

those wouldn't surprise me. aren't his albums part of a 5-album arc ending in something called "broke ass job"?

if that's so, then that's the greatest album title since zip! zap! rap!

I read on RollingStone.com that one of the tracks, I forget which one, was influneced by "City of Blinding LIghts." Kanye apparently saw the crowd react to it when he toured with U2 and said "I want one of those."

I haven't liked a single song from it so far. I have a feeling it'll be a crushing disappointment.

:uhoh: As you were.

or "Resume'" or "Portfolio" for a greatest hits release. Then release "Entry Level" as a change in direction and follow it up with "Promotion" and "Owner".

Downloaded the entire CD last night and I honestly have to say that it's quite impressive. It's very different from anything else out in the industry right now, and something very new for Kanye himself. He seems much more focused on this album. There aren't any of those goofy skits like on his last two albums, and lyrically seems to be on the top of his game. This is coming from a fan of hip-hop so you can all judge for yourself, but Kanye has really produced something thats quite special. As for Kanye having a song influenced by COBL...there is a song called Flashing Lights but I wouldn't say anything is similar besides the name. If anyone is interested in hearing this track or any others let me know. I don't know how to send the whole album so if anyone wants it, I'd need help figuring that one out.

It comes out for real on Sept. 11th. I'm downloading now, and I'll see how it is. I'm a casual fan of Kanye, so I'm hoping it will be great.

It's a decent record. There are some highlights here and there (Champion, Stronger, Flashing Lights). One good thing is that there aren't any "Ouch...WTF was that?" tracks like there usually are. But the best part is that it's by far the least indulgent KW record; no skits, no ridiculously long tracks, just jamz. Lots and lots of jamz. The problem is that none of said jamz can touch the best of either of his previous records.

It's still fun though.

B-

Drunk and Hot Girls was as bad as I'd feared it would be. Overall, though, I did like it and will probably buy it. I haven't gotten either of his other albums because I'm not a big fan of skits that interrupt the music, so I'm glad he's given up on those for now.

Some great lyrics, some very good sampling. Even Chris Martin didn't get on my nerves as much as he usually does :wink:

The explicit version is making the rounds now, too. I had to download a few versions of it before I found it, but it's out there.

I don't know how anyone could call Late Registration disappointing, and even though I despise the Broke Phi Broke skits, they're very easy to remove with the breakthroughs of digital music.

Maybe it's because I didn't hear all of College Dropout until after owning Late Registration, but I don't think it's a better album by any stretch of the imagination. Late Registration isn't perfect by any means, and could certainly stand to lose a couple tracks, but I think it's a pretty towering blend of hip-hop and pop, and deserved all the accolades it received.

Graduation has a few tracks that stand out, but I'll have to give it a few more spins.

Love the nod to Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne on "Champion".

lazarus said:
Maybe it's because I didn't hear all of College Dropout until after owning Late Registration, but I don't think it's a better album by any stretch of the imagination. Late Registration isn't perfect by any means, and could certainly stand to lose a couple tracks, but I think it's a pretty towering blend of hip-hop and pop, and deserved all the accolades it received.

:yes: Late Registration is an excellent record.

Back
Top Bottom