Kaikoura, Te Wai Pounamu, Aotearoa (Kia Kaha, Aroha to all) Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much of it is symbolism and aesthetics. When we think of the working class, we think of what you say - factory workers. We also think of rundown housing, ownership of a shabby secondhand car at best, limited schooling, etc. People who own a two-storey house by a canal on the Gold Coast with a pool and two reasonably new cars in the driveway would never call themselves working class even if they are living from pay cheque to pay cheque from secretarial, retail, or tourism jobs. They may identify with the "working families" rhetoric so popular with Australian politicians in recent years, but "we live in a good neighbourhood! We're not working class like those poor people and criminals in Ipswich!"

Yeah, so they're mistaken about their situation and it's all semantics.

'Working families' is one phrase I'd love to see taken out behind the woodshed.

Agreed. Awful phrase. What about working single people, for one thing!

Well I'll give my newfound nostalgia addiction to Prince of Persia this: it just distracted me from taking deep's bait.

Yeah, a classic DOS game, one that's really challenging and hard to beat. I can get further now than I could as a kid. :lol:

Dear Sydney,

You're too hot. Please don't be, at least not while I'm here.

Cheers,
Ax

From what I hear, Sydney's pretty much always hot. Except for the one weekend in 2007 that I was ever there, when it was very, very cold.

It now seems to have decided to replace hot sunny weather with clouds and ominous thunder.

But geez the Mitchell Library is nice. Even if I am trying to read godawful handwriting, and on microfilm to boot!

>goes to New Zealand
>immediately switches to reading the New Zealand news websites

>goes to Sydney
>keeps reading the Age's website, because fuck Sydney

(Even if it's hard to tell apart the Age and SMH websites any more., and all Fairfax papers are in the toilet.)

>goes to New Zealand
>immediately switches to reading the New Zealand news websites

>goes to Sydney
>keeps reading the Age's website, because fuck Sydney

(Even if it's hard to tell apart the Age and SMH websites any more., and all Fairfax papers are in the toilet.)

I think it's safe to say that the last time I looked at either the Age or the SMH website, it was because of one of you posting something on this forum. They are such shite. Really, you know how I get by for political coverage in this country now? Mostly I deal with as much of The Guardian as I can stand (Lenore Taylor and Katherine Murphy are both a waste of space, which doesn't help), I follow John Quiggin's blog, and occasionally look at Inside Story. That's about it. Oh Bill Mitchell is ok too (the domestic godfather of Modern Monetary Theory), if obviously very economic theory based and far too dense for me to really get a handle on.

I think it's safe to say that the last time I looked at either the Age or the SMH website, it was because of one of you posting something on this forum. They are such shite. Really, you know how I get by for political coverage in this country now? Mostly I deal with as much of The Guardian as I can stand (Lenore Taylor and Katherine Murphy are both a waste of space, which doesn't help), I follow John Quiggin's blog, and occasionally look at Inside Story. That's about it. Oh Bill Mitchell is ok too (the domestic godfather of Modern Monetary Theory), if obviously very economic theory based and far too dense for me to really get a handle on.

I really must disagree with you about Lenore Taylor, who I think is one of the finest writers about Australian politics, at least in any high profile outlet. Murphy also holds her own, admittedly in a not very crowded field, and I think by now has atoned for some of her failure to go for the jugular on Abbott when the opportunity was jumping up and down in front of her.

One thing using Twitter has done is provided me with a more steady stream of news than just checking the Age and Guardian regularly.

I really must disagree with you about Lenore Taylor, who I think is one of the finest writers about Australian politics, at least in any high profile outlet. Murphy also holds her own, admittedly in a not very crowded field, and I think by now has atoned for some of her failure to go for the jugular on Abbott when the opportunity was jumping up and down in front of her.

One thing using Twitter has done is provided me with a more steady stream of news than just checking the Age and Guardian regularly.

My problem with both of them - and I don't think it's just imagination, I have taken the trouble to read them on occasion - is the way they miss the wood for the trees. Taylor's halfway there sometimes, but then always seems to back off to the more solid ground of conventional wisdom.

Anyone who expects the 'real' Malcolm Turnbull to ever turn up and save us is tragically misguided.

So, for those of you who don't know - Kieran? others? - this morning I was just quietly doing some research in the (very lovely) Mitchell Library here in Sydney when I glanced at my emails... and oh shit wait what's this? I've been offered a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Wollongong?

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Just spent the evening celebrating with Crowded House and about six thousand of my closest friends.

The problem is that now I have to leave Melbourne and cross the Barassi Line into the wilds of New South Wales, but hey I'll take a postdoc from whoever will give me one and I'm very keen to join Wollongong's History department.

What a week. Crowded House have been fucking incredible and I've discovered the valuable stuff I expected to find in the Mitchell, but this was totally out of the blue! I thought I had fallen at the final hurdle, based on the last update they gave me.

I'm so happy for you!

I am not happy with how few posts there are in the u2 black Friday thread.

Congrats Ax! I know how tough that can be to get!

Good news from England... the VP of my university received my story and due to the negligence/exacerbation of my poor living situation, they decided to award me £2500. I'm so happy and so grateful, it feels like a long fought battle of being kept in the dark and treated like a piece of trash is over :)

Last edited:
So, for those of you who don't know - Kieran? others? - this morning I was just quietly doing some research in the (very lovely) Mitchell Library here in Sydney when I glanced at my emails... and oh shit wait what's this? I've been offered a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Wollongong?

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Just spent the evening celebrating with Crowded House and about six thousand of my closest friends.

The problem is that now I have to leave Melbourne and cross the Barassi Line into the wilds of New South Wales, but hey I'll take a postdoc from whoever will give me one and I'm very keen to join Wollongong's History department.

What a week. Crowded House have been fucking incredible and I've discovered the valuable stuff I expected to find in the Mitchell, but this was totally out of the blue! I thought I had fallen at the final hurdle, based on the last update they gave me.

Well congratulations. So is a postdoctoral fellowship like a job that you can count on for a while and stuff?

I wish I had six thousand friends. Ok, that's a lie.

Cheers guys. It's a three-year position, and part of the expectation of it is to secure further funding. I'm hoping to make myself indispensible to the university's teaching effort that they keep me on at the end anyway. Whatever happens it's a bloody good career step.

We're negotiating start date next week but I won't have to leave Melbourne for a few months yet, hopefully not until June. I'm so attached to the place, leaving it will be hard.

And good news too, LN7. :up:

This has been one huge week for me, I think I'll just curl up and sleep next week.

Cheers guys. It's a three-year position, and part of the expectation of it is to secure further funding. I'm hoping to make myself indispensible to the university's teaching effort that they keep me on at the end anyway. Whatever happens it's a bloody good career step.

We're negotiating start date next week but I won't have to leave Melbourne for a few months yet, hopefully not until June. I'm so attached to the place, leaving it will be hard.

Plus look on the bright side, I hear the University of Woolongong philosophy department is a riot.

bruces02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom