Justin Timberlake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok you'll lose me if we start debating n'sync and the backstreet boys... which i find nausiating.

timberlake's solo career? :up:

boy band career? :down:

and that NY Times article was top notch. pop music used to be good music, but, as always, record companies got in the way. it's been an endless cycle... something good comes out, something that copies something good comes out, something that copies the copy of something good comes out, and before you know it we have the mid to late 90's in music. but eventually the masses realize what's going on and the crap goes away. and that's what seems to be happening now.

Headache, honestly, how can you like the solo crap and hate the boy bands? It's basically the same shit, only more Michael Jackson-esque.

U2Kitten said:
Headache, honestly, how can you like the solo crap and hate the boy bands? It's basically the same shit, only more Michael Jackson-esque.

U2Kitten, honestly, don't you know the difference between opinion and fact?

-------
I agree that the boy band stuff was completely fluff with no substance, trust me. It was pretty much '50s music set to a hip-hop beat. But we do need that break in seriousness every once in a while, so I appreciate it for getting me through puberty. :wink:

I honestly have no answer as to why Nsync makes me go :yuck: and yet I own both JT albums.

One's good, the other's not? :wink:

PlaTheGreat said:

U2Kitten, honestly, don't you know the difference between opinion and fact?

There is quite the double standard here on this forum. I'm always told I must respect others' opinions yet no one respects mine. I like Creed, and I don't like Coldplay, and I get put down for that. It seems most of YOU think YOUR opinion is fact! So why can't I?

I agree that the boy band stuff was completely fluff with no substance, trust me. It was pretty much '50s music set to a hip-hop beat. But we do need that break in seriousness every once in a while, so I appreciate it for getting me through puberty. :wink:

I don't hate the boyband shit for being 'fluff', I hate it because it sucks. I hate it like I hate whiney divas, and the sound of shit like 'Cry Me a River' and 'Sexyback.' I HATE that kind of music. To tell you the truth I don't even mind 'MMMBop' and I actually liked most of the Spice Girls songs. They had TUNES and were FUN. It's the beat and the style of music I dislike in JT and the boy bands.

There is a key difference in the pop music process between artists that shines through when you listen to the finished product.

For some, the music is written by committee. The record company, the A&R guys, listen to demos from writers all over the world and go on a buying spree, then send the artist into the studio, then pick 10 of those songs and stick them on a record. You can tell when you are listening to pop that has been made in that way, and you can tell when you are listening to people like Justin Timberlake and Kylie Minogue who clearly take a lot more time and care in their craft, are infinitely more involved in the writing, recording and production process, infinitely more involved in the direction and detail of their own image etc. You may still dislike it because to you it's one inch shallow pop, but there is a difference in quality, and its in the effort the artists put in and the ownership they have over their own products.

And surprise, the iconic pop songs of our generation are coming from them, while those who don't put in the effort last no time and their names and music fade quickly.

You listen to a Justin Timberlake song, and even though it's pop, you can still easily picture Justin actually staying up at night writing this stuff, musicaly and lyricaly, and imagine him sitting behind the desk fiddling to get the sound just right. With the Backstreet Boys you imagine them showing up on time, blasting out their vocal, leaving, and that being the extent of the involvement. THAT'S the difference.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Absolutely wrong - it's not the same shit. Look to Robbie Williams as another example of a boy band member who has parlayed his career over to something much greater and much more substantial. Sure, you can still find plenty of poppy boyband crap in there, but you can't expect someone to change overnight can you?

As far as lacking melody, JT's recent record does not exist in a sonic vacuum - in case you haven't noticed the current trend in pop music is club-friendly, heavy on the beats, hip-hop inspired stuff. And if you look back at the teenypop of the late 90s coming out of LA, it's exactly the same formula as the Spice Girls - melodic, over-produced tracks crammed full of hooks.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

first off, pre-boy touching michael jackson's solo stuff was some of the greatest pop music ever created. so if it sounds like that, then, uh, yea... it must be pretty good.

secondly, the boy bands seemed to be directed towards teenaged girls, where as there's a lot more maturity to his solo stuff.

U2Kitten said:

There is quite the double standard here on this forum. I'm always told I must respect others' opinions yet no one respects mine. I like Creed, and I don't like Coldplay, and I get put down for that. It seems most of YOU think YOUR opinion is fact! So why can't I?

I don't hate the boyband shit for being 'fluff', I hate it because it sucks. I hate it like I hate whiney divas, and the sound of shit like 'Cry Me a River' and 'Sexyback.' I HATE that kind of music. To tell you the truth I don't even mind 'MMMBop' and I actually liked most of the Spice Girls songs. They had TUNES and were FUN. It's the beat and the style of music I dislike in JT and the boy bands.

I don't like Creed, and I don't like Coldplay, but I could care less if other people do. But frankly, maybe it's not your opinions that people disrespect but the manner in which you present them. Why do you have to bring your hurt feelings about whatever somebody said to you about Creed into a thread about Justin Timberlake? More than likely nobody cares whether you like Creed or not but you make it an issue. Maybe try some constructive criticism about artists you don't like instead of resorting to comments about their hygiene, body hair, and just saying they suck and they're shit and wusses. We all stoop to that occasionally unfortunately, and I'm honestly not trying to pick on you, but maybe lighten up and don't get so defensive when people disagree with you. Just a suggestion. :shrug:

I've tried to read through this thread, but the smell of Justin is way too musky for me.

He must've sprayed Sex Panther on twice this morning.

U2Kitten said:

Calm the fuck down. I've never said anything to you. Besides, even if that's what most people say, there's no reason to bring yourself down to that kind of level to get your point across.
I'd say that most people on this forum don't like Coldplay anyway, so you're in the majority.

Okay, whatever. You seriously have some anger issues. I hate reggaeton, and I put it down in this forum, but that doesn't mean I go around telling my cousins who actually like the music, that it's disgusting, smelly and a drain on our society's dwindling intellect.

I think Creed might actually be the first band to crash and burn simply due to mass public repulsion. Their downfall began, and was driven almost entirely by, such a massive outpouring of "Wow! You guys really are shit!"
At a time when the world is such a divided and fractured place, it's nice to see that we can all still come together sometimes for the common good.

originally posted by PlaTheGreat

I'd say that most people on this forum don't like Coldplay anyway, so you're in the majority.

Since when? They seem, or did a year or so ago, to be worshipped here as the second coming of U2 and any negative comments on them would get you bashed. I haven't gotten into any discussions on them in awhile, have things changed?

Earnie Shavers said:
I think Creed might actually be the first band to crash and burn simply due to mass public repulsion. Their downfall began, and was driven almost entirely by, such a massive outpouring of "Wow! You guys really are shit!"
At a time when the world is such a divided and fractured place, it's nice to see that we can all still come together sometimes for the common good.

Ever see that episode of the Flintstones where Wilma wanted to destroy Fred's musical career as 'HiFi' so she spread a rumor among all the teens that he was a 'square?' In days the crowds were gone.

Oh if only the same thing could happen to people who really suck and need to go away, like Ashlee Simpson, Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, and JT.

Seriously though I think what destroyed Creed was that Scott became an assholic drunk and pissed off those close to him. First his wife left him, then the bassist left. Then the band split up. They imploded on their own.

U2Kitten said:
Oh if only the same thing could happen to people who really suck and need to go away, like Ashlee Simpson, Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, and JT.

I think you left Creed and yourself off of that list.

U2Kitten said:
Seriously though I think what destroyed Creed was that Scott became an assholic drunk and pissed off those close to him. First his wife left him, then the bassist left. Then the band split up. They imploded on their own.

Maybe it was the fact that they were complete garbage, too? I bet that was a determining factor. I know I certainly didn't like Creed because Scott Stapp is a drunk. I didn't like them because they fucking suck.

:applaud:

joyfulgirl said:

I don't like Creed, and I don't like Coldplay, but I could care less if other people do. But frankly, maybe it's not your opinions that people disrespect but the manner in which you present them. Why do you have to bring your hurt feelings about whatever somebody said to you about Creed into a thread about Justin Timberlake? More than likely nobody cares whether you like Creed or not but you make it an issue. Maybe try some constructive criticism about artists you don't like instead of resorting to comments about their hygiene, body hair, and just saying they suck and they're shit and wusses. We all stoop to that occasionally unfortunately, and I'm honestly not trying to pick on you, but maybe lighten up and don't get so defensive when people disagree with you. Just a suggestion. :shrug:

:up:

joyfulgirl said:

:up: Something tells me she's not going to get the point anyhow... :shrug:

inmyplace13 said:

Hey, that was mean.

I was going to say, "Take JT OFF that list" and I'll finally have something to agree about with U2Kitten.

:wink:

inmyplace13 said:

I don't care what the situation is, you don't personally attack other members. Haven't you gotten in trouble enough for this in the past to have learned your lesson?

I don't feel the need to quote joyfulgirl again in this thread, but I definitely agree with it 100%. :up:

Once again, U2Kitten, drama surrounds you. Coincidence? No. You always make comments that start stuff, and then you get upset that people pick on you. While inmyplace13's comment was out of line and violated the rules, I understand where he's coming from...because he's getting frustrated with you pulling the same stuff time and time again, like so many of us are.

U2Kitten said:
Ever see that episode of the Flintstones where Wilma wanted to destroy Fred's musical career as 'HiFi' so she spread a rumor among all the teens that he was a 'square?' In days the crowds were gone.

bunny_pancake.jpg

Well Joyful surely you are old enough to remember that episode. I know Headache is not.

It was referring to the way a person's career can be destroyed by people saying they are shit, as the poster I answered was trying to say about Creed. How could you not get that?

U2Kitten said:
Well Joyful surely you are old enough to remember that episode. I know Headache is not.

It was referring to the way a person's career can be destroyed by people saying they are shit, as the poster I answered was trying to say about Creed. How could you not get that?

normally i try to make my comparisons with the jetsons as opposed to the flintstones. they were much more advanced as a people.

shootme.gif

U2Kitten said:

I may be old enough but my brain is not big enough to retain Flintstones episodes.

Anyway, I just loved Headache's bunny thing so much I had to :heart: him.

Earnie Shavers said:
Was the story about Pearl Jam threatening to leave their label if said label re-signed Creed true? If so, that's hilarious.

It's hilarious but it's also legitimate.

I know that if I had a prospective employer talking to me about a job, and they just hired someone I knew to be blatantly incompetent, I'd likely think twice about that company.

The Flintstones are on the air, right now, today, on Boomerang, so, U2kitten, we're all old enough to have seen the episode. But it's possible we're all too old to actually use it to illustrate a point.

Back
Top Bottom