Justin Timberlake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:

I hate to break it to you but he is an adult and at age 26, has been one for quite some time.

I'm aware of his age. I still think he's trying too hard.

971209r2-23.jpg

that guy looks like a smelly, sweaty white trash piece of shit.

00322792_lg.jpg

i'm as hetero a male as they get... but his body does something for me.

looks like he wants to be a bad ass black dude? there's so much wrong with that statement that it's not even worth discussing.

he has talent. you don't have to like his talent, but he does have it. i despise n'sync. his solo work? he's got some pretty good stuff. to each his/her own.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
971209r2-23.jpg

that guy looks like a smelly, sweaty white trash piece of shit.

Nope, absolutely not. I don't mean the totally bald head! I'm talking about when both his hair and his beard are about the same length and consistency of a woman's stubbly armpits :barf: like in the Pop era pics where he's in the wife beater tee? I do not have the pic, that is one I never saved (though I did save plenty of other Pop pics)

i'm as hetero a male as they get... but his body does something for me.

00322792_lg.jpg

looks like he wants to be a bad ass black dude? there's so much wrong with that statement that it's not even worth discussing.

This pic you post, this is not the look I am talking about. In that pic he does not look smelly. He doesn't have a scruffy goatee, and his hair has enough length that you can actually see his curls (his best feature, IMO, he'd look better if he'd let them grow, at least like that) While he is generally not my type at all (prefer short, pasty, chubby, dark haired Irishmen;) ) but I agree that particular picture doesn't look like what I said about him. His 'Sexyback' an "Alpha Dogs" look is what I mean. I do think he wishes he was a badass black dude, but he doesn't look or sound like one. IMO the image doesn't work for him, but apparently lots of people like it.

he has talent. you don't have to like his talent, but he does have it. i despise n'sync. his solo work? he's got some pretty good stuff. to each his/her own.

Well IMO he doesn't have talent, he's a creation of the media, he's just a wussy little white boy pretending to be something he's not. When he sings those breathy 'sexyback' lyrics I can just see this dorky kid playing around with a sound machine and thinking he's really cool but he's a joke.

But I know what you mean, take Dave Matthews Band. Those guys have a lot of natural talent and are excellent musicians, and I respect their talent. I just cannot stand the sounds they make (and Dave's whiney voice is the worst, maybe the only non country person whinier than Chris Martin whose voice also grates on my nerves) But yeah, to each his/her own. If everyone liked the same things, some folks would never get cash.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
I like Sexyback, but it's not nearly as good as Cry Me a River, which is freakin' brilliant. :drool:

Even though I am not a fan of his I do like both of these songs. Sometimes it is still shocking to me that I would like either of these songs, but I do.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i know how you feel... i was shocking the first time i became justified, too.

It's quite ironic. I never listened to his music before, now whenever I hear those songs I sing along.

I can understand not liking a singer or a band, but to completely deny they even have talent baffles me.

You people have said Creed has no talent just because you don't like them.

If you don't have room to appreciate some good, fun pop music, you have no soul.

In that regard, Justin Timberlake is outstanding.

A lot of pop music is actually getting quite complicated and mature in it's sound, structure, lyrics and it's place in music development.

Long gone is the line of pop that runs through the teen girls and boy bands of the 80s and 90s. To really own that game now, you need a whole lot more. Look at how Robbie Williams is stumbling badly as he's trying desperately to keep up. You can't try and keep up, you need to be well ahead.

No more cheesy ballads, no more songs that sound like advertising jingles or nursery rhymes. The stuff that is good now is the stuff that has gained an inch of depth and 10 tonnes of savvy and smarts.

Earnie Shavers said:
If you don't have room to appreciate some good, fun pop music, you have no soul.

In that regard, Justin Timberlake is outstanding.

A lot of pop music is actually getting quite complicated and mature in it's sound, structure, lyrics and it's place in music development.

Long gone is the line of pop that runs through the teen girls and boy bands of the 80s and 90s. To really own that game now, you need a whole lot more. Look at how Robbie Williams is stumbling badly as he's trying desperately to keep up. You can't try and keep up, you need to be well ahead.

No more cheesy ballads, no more songs that sound like advertising jingles or nursery rhymes. The stuff that is good now is the stuff that has gained an inch of depth and 10 tonnes of savvy and smarts.

Nicely said. I used to be so critical of pop music and it still doesn't interest me much, and I never watch MTV or VH1 or wherever the hell people see videos anymore so I'm ignorant about much of it, but when I see a good performance like Justin's on the Grammy's I realize that there's a new genre of pop emerging, just as you say. I doubt I'll ever even buy a record (never say never, though) but I appreciate that it's more substantive than it used to be. I found this article in the New York Times the other day to be interesting (and I'll quote the whole article since you have to register and the link will be meaningless). It seems that Justin's getting a new fan base and not just because it's suddenly cool to like Justin, but because he's actually talented and people are opening up to pop music because it's simply a lot better than it used to be. I especially like the comment about him not oversinging, which I agree with as well.

The New York Times
February 7, 2007
Timberlake, Pop Juggernaut, Is Gaining Some Unusual Fans
By MELENA RYZIK

He won over the teeny-boppers long ago, but in his incarnation as a sexy-smooth crooner with a hip-hop edge, Justin Timberlake has gained some unusual fans: hipsters.

Youthful urbanites who normally wouldn’t admit to filling their iPods with anything remotely Top 40, let alone the music of a performer who can sell out Madison Square Garden, as Mr. Timberlake, 26, did for tonight’s show, are suddenly unashamed of their copies of “Justified,” his first solo album, or “FutureSex/LoveSounds,” his recent chart-topper produced by Timbaland. Members of the Flaming Lips, Coldplay and Keane have come to his shows, and his music is a staple of cooler-than-thou fashion week.

On Monday, at an after-party for the Marc Jacobs show at the club Eugene, the D.J. Duane Harriott played “SexyBack,” and the crowd of models, art directors, designers and other insider types hit the dance floor with abandon. “It’s a timeless song,” Mr. Harriott said, favorably comparing it to the Michael Jackson tune he spun next.

Pete Wentz, the bassist for Fall Out Boy, said at the party: “The cool thing about Justin Timberlake is that he’s one of those dudes who can dance, sing, do everything. I went to a Victoria’s Secret show, and he played there, and people loved it. You can go to hipster clubs, and they like it. I think at first they liked him ironically, but now they just like him.”

Unlike his former boy-band colleagues, Mr. Timberlake has even won over musicians who prefer lo-fi thrash to the slicker sounds of mainstream albums. Last month, in a Greenpoint club in the farthest reaches of hipster Brooklyn, Matt Johnson, 25, of the keyboard-and-drums act Matt and Kim, admitted his authentic Timberlake love.

In fact, he told the crowd, he had recently dreamed about playing a show with Mr. Timberlake, a one-time Mouseketeer. (The audience cheered this prospect.) And in December Pitchfork, the online music review bible, anointed Mr. Timberlake “the new King of Pop,” and named his song “My Love” the No. 1 of 2006 above indie stalwarts like TV on the Radio and Joanna Newsom, and an honor no Backstreet Boy could hope to achieve.

“I don’t think he’s as prefab and contrived as other artists,” said Tony Croasdale, 30, a punk promoter in Philadelphia and a singer, as Tony Pointless, for an anarchist hardcore band called R.A.M.B.O. “I like him because I don’t think he oversings.”

Mr. Croasdale, whose oeuvre runs to songs like “Wage Slave Mercenaries” and “If Our Leaders Are Impotent Only the People Can Rise,” picked up a copy of “Justified” when he was on tour in Asia, and he and his bandmates found it “fun to dance to.”

“Believe it or not,” he added, “Justin Timberlake has some major fans in the anarchist punk community.”

U2Kitten said:
You people have said Creed has no talent just because you don't like them.

Who are you addressing? "You people"? :huh:

Eh, whatever. No point taking a fun thread and nitpicking it to death.

I would say Creed has enough talent to play their instruments and write some songs, but not enough talent to be a) good; or b) in any way original.

So, yeah ... SOME talent.

:sexywink:

Earnie Shavers said:

I have so much love for that statement, I can't even tell you.

Now excuse me while I go listen to some Kylie Minogue.

corianderstem said:

Who are you addressing? "You people"? :huh:

Eh, whatever. No point taking a fun thread and nitpicking it to death.

I would say Creed has enough talent to play their instruments and write some songs, but not enough talent to be a) good; or b) in any way original.

So, yeah ... SOME talent.

:sexywink:

Scott Stapp has enough talent to stumble out of the bar every night.

Wow, that TIMES article appeared on my birthday!!! And it's funny that it did, because I'm in this thread to declare that I think Justin Timberlake is one talented dude!!!

I am addicted, TOTALLY addicted, to "What Goes Around, Comes Around." I also thoroughly enjoyed his performance, especially the infamous "Dick In A Box" skit. Naughty, but hilarious!

Now, I still prefer the Backstreet Boys to N'Sync..."I Like It That Way" and "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" are far superior to anything N'Sync ever did, IMHO. But Justin has made a fan of me.

And one more thing...Save Britney, Justin!!!!!! :lmao:

I, too, prefer the Backstreet Boys to NSync.

And hey, what about JC Chasez? His first album was a hell of a lot of fun - lots of great, dance-o-matic tunes. Curious to hear what his new one is going to be like.

corianderstem said:
I, too, prefer the Backstreet Boys to NSync.

And hey, what about JC Chasez? His first album was a hell of a lot of fun - lots of great, dance-o-matic tunes. Curious to hear what his new one is going to be like.

BSB > 'Nsync

:lol: Is this 1999?

I don't think JC Chasez has enough power behind him to get his CD going. I did like that one song, "Blowing Me Up With Her Love" or something like that, but it was really inferior to what Justin is doing at the moment. I don't think he can match it, to be honest.

If you want to hear Justin's best work that transcends genres, listen to "LoveStoned/I Think She Knows (Interlude)." The interlude may as well be Coldplay playing it. I'm really surprised it hasn't been made a single yet, but I'm guessing it will be the last single of the album and it will knock those on the fence completely over.
Timbaland is a genius. :drool:

Nah, you're right, JC Chasez has nothing on Justin, but I was really pleasantly surprised by his CD, which I'd only picked up for one song.

That song was "All Day Long I Dream About Sex." :shifty:

I liked "100 Ways," "Blowin Me Up With Her Love" and "One Night Stand" as well.

God. Somewhere in the last five years I became quite the connosseur (I can't spell that word) of pop music. Quite a long way from the music snob I was in college! :wink:

:lol: I was never all that snobby.
Although I resisted the Justin because of my deep loathing for 'Nsync at first. "Cry Me a River" won me over.
I think my love for his music is about 80% Timbaland, 20% Timberlake.
Timbaland just knows the pop genre so well. He did a song with Nelly Furtado and Chris Martin that was just amazing. I love it so much. I think the final version on her CD is solo; they cropped out Chris. I downloaded this demo type version of it and it's just... guh.

Back
Top Bottom