Justin Hawkins quits The Darkness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
From bbc.co.uk

The lead singer of glam rock band The Darkness is leaving the group after a battle with drug addiction, it has been confirmed.
Justin Hawkins, 31, spent nine weeks in The Priory clinic in a bid to kick his cocaine addiction.

The singer, famous for his catsuits and high-pitched vocals, said the band would be "damaging" to his recovery.

The Darkness, who dominated the Brit Awards in 2004, is set to continue. Hawkins is still reviewing his options.

The group scored a major hit with their first album, Permission To Land, which sold 1.5 million copies.

But the pressures of fame, including press attention and constant travelling, led Hawkins to cocaine use.

He told the Sun newspaper: "I became secretive, volatile and verbally abusive, a really unpleasant person to be around. There were lots of periods I don't even remember, blackouts.

"I couldn't even tell you how much I was drinking - it was all day when we were on tour. My weapon of choice was vodka.

"It has affected every aspect of my life, with the band and my girlfriend Sue."

He said he would continue to visit The Priory and "would love to become a counsellor".

The band were reported to be "in a state of shock" having hoped to have changed Hawkins mind about leaving the band.

Despite their early success, the Darkness notched up disappointing sales for their second album One Way Ticket To Hell And Back.

Holy coke, repeating myself, except I'm getting slightly louder
Pausing long enough to snort that white powder
Wheels steering off but I'm still on track
Bought a one way ticket to hell

And back!
One way ticket to hell and back (yeah)
Bought a one way ticket to hell and back (ooh yeah)
One way ticket to hell and back,
Bought a one way ticket to hell (oooh yeaah)

Shame I didn't get to see their excellent live show before Justin went bonkers.

Oh look here comes the uncool brigade
Enjoy your Panic! at the Disco
tardmh2.gif

panicatthediscozu2.jpg

Last edited:
They look like cross-dressing girls. :yuck:

For the record, I'd take "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" over any PATD song any day. Over any album, over the entire genre...everything. :grumpy:

Pity. I hope he gets himself sorted out.

And I mean it. For some reason there was a complete sea change in opinion on this band on this board in the last three years.

Well :madspit: to you.

If you didnt like The Darkness its probs because you didnt Get the darkness.

Bad news for the British music scene, he was such a class act.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Pity. I hope he gets himself sorted out.

And I mean it. For some reason there was a complete sea change in opinion on this band on this board in the last three years.

Well :madspit: to you.

My thoughts exactly. Best of luck to Justin in getting better.

"Love Is Only a Feeling" will always be a brilliant song. :love:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:rolleyes: I can't stand this elitist bullshit.

I was making a honest statement. People dont seem to like them because they wear catsuits , long greasy hair and parade with a pair of tits on stage.

Im no fan of the darkness, but some of the songs are great.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Honest? So then what if you get them and still don't like them?

A generalization is the bastard child of free thinking...

ok whatever... not gonna start an argument over a freakin Darkness thread for fucks sake.

Sorry if i caused you any pain , suffering or heartache.

I will fully compensate any inconvience this may have caused you.

:lmao: :giggle: I completely burst out laughing when i heard this on the radio!!!!! Pmsl - funniest thing all week :lol:

That guy is a class A asshole for what he said about Bono :madspit:

Well, I hope he can sort himself out and keep healthy.

As for the band, I love their first album and have enjoyed the second, though to a lesser degree. But I did wonder whether there was anything more for them to do; you know how with some bands/artists you don't really need to have more than one or two of their records?

It's a shame I didn't manage to see them live though, :(

Back
Top Bottom