Just to show you how hard it is for Soccer to be THE sport in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man United are playing Glasgow Celtic at the Seahawks Stadium tomorrow in Seattle. Apparently it's sold out, 67,000 seats. That's about what Man United got on average each week playing at Old Trafford last season, which is pretty impressive, and is about the top attendance in the Spanish Primera Liga.

I really hope the Celts and Man United put up a good show. I'm hoping United lose, of course. The last time they met United lost to Celtic 4-3 in I think Ryan Giggs' testimonial match, so hopefully there'll be a thrilling encounter fo the US fans rather than a 0-0.

Chelsea, Birmingham and Newcastle are heading to my part of the world for a pre-season tournament, unfortunately they'll be in Malaysia because the organisers here didn't want to fork out cash.

Zoner sweetest, you've mixed up your Aussie codes. We have 4 codes here and each one has its own name. Rugby League (unique to us and then somewhat regional except for NZ who pushed their way into our comp :p ), Rugby Union (or just Union which is not unique to us alone) AFL (Australian Rules Football - unique to us) and then what we have to call soccer due to the numerous other 'football' games we have, which is football.

Confused?

Good.

What were you saying again?

:wink:

I did not mess anyhting up in my mind....I said rugby (different from soccer/football). And I know there was a difference (Union and Aussie rules). :shrug:

I really don't know much about Rugby and the diffeent styles. Nevermind cricket.....

ah yes,
cricket!

now there's a real sport
when talking about using strategy and pysical skills that is

as soon as the media finds a better way to include commercial brakes it will the nr. 1 sport worldwide

+ he knows the scores of every match australia has played since 1953

yep, brettig knows his leg-breaks from his googlies :D

Does Digi live in Seattle?

BTW....Digi, knowing you live pretty close to this...WTF is going on?
deficit_wracked_maryland.jpg

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
see what you say about international football is how i feel about american football.

:yes: exactly right. I somehow even like rugby better than american football.

What exactly does ManU expect? Screaming fans? They even leave those behind when playing away games in UK let alone US.

Manchester United 4, Celtic 0

By TIM KORTE, AP Sports Writer
July 23, 2003
SEATTLE (AP) -- The world's most famous sports team put on a delightful exhibition to open a four-game United States tour.

In its first game without superstar David Beckham, Manchester United beat Glasgow Celtic 4-0 on Tuesday night behind goals by Ruud van Nistelrooy, Ryan Giggs, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and David Bellion.

``Our forward play, especially in the first half, caused them a lot of problems,'' Manchester United defender Philip Neville said. ``And the crowd really lifted us in a big way.''

The eight-time Premier League champions decisively handled their Scottish League rivals, and the effort was sure to keep Manchester United's legion of 53 million worldwide fans as happy as the team's big-money American sponsors.

Organizers hope the seven-game tour, which features other well-known clubs like Juventus, Barcelona and AC Milan, will boost the profile of European soccer in the United States.

``I'm not sure conquer is the right word,'' Manchester coach Alex Ferguson said. ``I think we'd like to explore the country, and make people more aware about Manchester United.''

The Red Devils play three more games, the next one Sunday in Los Angeles against Club America of Mexico.

``You're up against quite a tradition here with American football, baseball and basketball,'' Ferguson said. ``It's not easy to overcome that, but there's no reason why soccer can't be a part of American sports.''

While American fans are less familiar with other Manchester stars like van Nistelrooy, the Red Devils didn't miss Beckham, who was sent last month to Real Madrid for $39.4 million.

The talent gap between the teams became apparent before halftime, when Manchester led 3-0.

``We were well-beaten by a very, very good side,'' Celtic coach Martin O'Neill said. ``My view is that they are vying with Real Madrid to be the best team in Europe.''

The rout began in the seventh minute, when van Nistelrooy took a centering pass from Solskjaer, fought off defender Stanislav Varga and put the ball into the right corner off the hands of Celtic goalkeeper Magnus Hedman.

Celtic's Alan Thompson missed a penalty kick in the 18th minute, with his ball sailing over the goal and to the left.

It was a decisive turning point, because Van Nistelrooy struck again in the 28th minute. He drew three defenders and Hedman as he sprinted in from the right, then centered to Giggs, who was trailing and kicked it in easily for a 2-0 lead.

In the 39th minute, Solskjaer took a pass from Gary Neville and kicked the ball into the middle of the goal to make it 3-0.

Bellion, in his first game with Manchester since signing in the offseason, scored in the 72nd minute, when Paul Scholes tapped a pass to him in the box and Bellion beat reserve goal keeper Robert Douglas on a neat play that brought the near-capacity crowd of 66,722 fans to its feet.

The attendance was a record for one-year-old Seahawks Stadium, with only a few end zone sections noticeably sparse.

Fans savored the spectacle, roaring when the teams came onto the field and again for each goal. They turned the stadium into a giant bowl of twinkling flashbulbs every time a player fired a free kick.

``I was surprised by the support,'' van Nistelrooy said. ``You don't expect that in America. It was a great atmosphere.''

Late in the game, a fan ran onto the field and stripped off his shirt before being corralled by security officials.

Celtic finished second in the Scottish League last year, losing the title on goal difference to cross-town rival Rangers on the last day of the season.

Manchester opens its Premier League title defense Aug. 16.

I find it wrong that if Americans rag on soccer, we're arrogant, ignorant, and uncultured. But if the rest of the world rags on American football, hey, no big deal. :angry:

I agree that comparing the two is like apples and oranges. Soccer and football have nothing in common save both being called "football." Why soccer fans bring up American football as an example of Americans liking stupid sports is beyond me. Perhaps because it's the one major sport we love that other countries just don't play.

I for one love American football and watch it diligently at the college and pro levels. Anyone who has ever played it understands how complex the game is and how talented you must be to play it professionally. (And yes, even though I'm a girl, I have played my fair share of football.) Of the four major sports in the U.S., it is hardest to reach the level of professional in the sport of football. Both offensive and defensive players must learn hundreds of detailed plays, and you must be in terrific physical shape to play professionally. And anyone who has felt the entire stadium sway at a Texas A&M football game would never say that American fans are lacking in the fan department. Besides the swaying, there's plenty of singing and chanting at football games, especially at the college level.

If you're going to dog American football, fine. But to turn around and criticize Americans for their disinterest in soccer is hypocritical. The bottom line is that soccer fans are used to one type of game (continuous gameplay, few substitutions, completely different strategies, minimalist uniforms) and football fans are used to another (clock stoppages, set plays, heavily padded uniforms and helmets, very large teams). If you like the style of one, is it any wonder that you wouldn't care for the other? They're so different!

Enough rambling for now. :wave:

HeartlandGirl said:
If you like the style of one, is it any wonder that you wouldn't care for the other? They're so different!
personally I would say: yes, it is

sports is sports
and just about any sport that is practised on top level is great to watch

Sorry but Gaelic Football is the ultimate mans game. No pads, can use hand or foot. Hitting allowed, fights break-out regularly. You can only play for the county in which you were born or live in which makes it a more regional game.

With a country of 4 million its a wonder they attract 100,000 people every weekend to these games. If you ever have the chance to watch a game at a bar go for it.

If you want to know the closest place that shows the game near your house go to www.setanta.com and find a venue.

Best sport in the world!

Some photos.

seattle_lg_350g.jpg

lovely stadium, the seahawks.

zamora_jm_g.jpg

Norwich lost 3-0. :hyper:

mattholland_pm_225e.jpg

Ex-Ipswich player Matty Holland (left), also a Republic of Ireland international and possibly our only decent player last season (apart from perhaps Darren Ambrose who got 'stolen' by Newcastle) in pre-season for Charlton.

HeartlandGirl said:
I find it wrong that if Americans rag on soccer, we're arrogant, ignorant, and uncultured. But if the rest of the world rags on American football, hey, no big deal. :angry:

I agree that comparing the two is like apples and oranges. Soccer and football have nothing in common save both being called "football." Why soccer fans bring up American football as an example of Americans liking stupid sports is beyond me. Perhaps because it's the one major sport we love that other countries just don't play.

I for one love American football and watch it diligently at the college and pro levels. Anyone who has ever played it understands how complex the game is and how talented you must be to play it professionally. (And yes, even though I'm a girl, I have played my fair share of football.) Of the four major sports in the U.S., it is hardest to reach the level of professional in the sport of football. Both offensive and defensive players must learn hundreds of detailed plays, and you must be in terrific physical shape to play professionally. And anyone who has felt the entire stadium sway at a Texas A&M football game would never say that American fans are lacking in the fan department. Besides the swaying, there's plenty of singing and chanting at football games, especially at the college level.

If you're going to dog American football, fine. But to turn around and criticize Americans for their disinterest in soccer is hypocritical. The bottom line is that soccer fans are used to one type of game (continuous gameplay, few substitutions, completely different strategies, minimalist uniforms) and football fans are used to another (clock stoppages, set plays, heavily padded uniforms and helmets, very large teams). If you like the style of one, is it any wonder that you wouldn't care for the other? They're so different!

Enough rambling for now. :wave:

At last finally someone who understands :hug:

U2Kitten said:

At last finally someone who understands :hug:
eh?
heartland's girl's post started saying "I find it wrong that if Americans rag on soccer, we're arrogant, ignorant, and uncultured. But if the rest of the world rags on American football, hey, no big deal :angry: "

now I can agree with that

but the american football - soccer comparisons in this thread started when you started to talk down on soccer ("Running up and down the field in dumb socks, kicking a ball, oh boy.") when comparing it to American Football

so I don't really get what you are agreeing with here

Salome said:
eh?
heartland's girl's post started saying "I find it wrong that if Americans rag on soccer, we're arrogant, ignorant, and uncultured. But if the rest of the world rags on American football, hey, no big deal :angry: "

now I can agree with that

but the american football - soccer comparisons in this thread started when you started to talk down on soccer ("Running up and down the field in dumb socks, kicking a ball, oh boy.") when comparing it to American Football

so I don't really get what you are agreeing with here

It was enough that she understood the passion for and interest in the game instead of thinking it was stupid and boring. I was hoping some American guy who loved football would jump to its defense here, but it took another girl. I appreciate it.:)

Back
Top Bottom