Just plain WRONG- reality show to help INXS find replacement singer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylimeU2

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Possible new INXS singer through reality TV?

I just read this in the Washington Post newspaper, in an article about reality shows and the competetion between stations.

But Burnett's show will search for a lead singer in a rock band. Trade paper Variety broke the news that he's now talking to INXS about being the first band for which a new lead singer will be sought. INXS lead singer Michael Hutchence committed suicide in 1997-that oughta be an upbeat reality series.

Does anyone besides me hate this idea?

Last edited:
It's a horrible idea. I don't mind the idea of the show but "INXS" has been through like three singers already since Michael's death, it just ain't happening. If the other band members (the three Farriss Bros., Gary and Kirk) want to go on with some other project, that seems so much preferable than dragging INXS out any further. Michael Hutchence wasn't just some lead singer, he was the quintessential front man, full of such talent, grace and charisma, that he could never be replaced.

That was my other problem with this article. I also dislike the "this oughta be an upbeat reality series". The whole thing is wrong, just wrong.

And I guess it's up to the remaining INXS members, but I just can't imagine this working out for them.

Last edited:
This has been bothering me since I heard about it on the radio the other day. The problem is not finding a good singer, but a writer who can continue the essence of INXS. Jon Stevens filled the role quite well, I thought, and I was very anti anyone ever replacing Michael. But as a songwriter, Stevens was never going to cut it. I hope...that if this brainless idea is to go ahead, Andrew Farriss has most of the input. While Michael was their presence, so much of the final product was Andrew's work.

I still reckon the band should give Iva Davies a go.

dsmith2904 said:
It's a horrible idea. I don't mind the idea of the show but "INXS" has been through like three singers already since Michael's death, it just ain't happening. If the other band members (the three Farriss Bros., Gary and Kirk) want to go on with some other project, that seems so much preferable than dragging INXS out any further. Michael Hutchence wasn't just some lead singer, he was the quintessential front man, full of such talent, grace and charisma, that he could never be replaced.

I couldn't agree more.

How dreadful. Is it a USA show or Aussie? Its a bad enough concept but if they pick some one like Clay Aiken etc I would just vomit. They need some one naughty, with a lot of swagger. ie not the sort that are likely to get up at 3:00am to brush their teeth and enter a competition.

:yikes:

But rather than finding the next Fantasia or Clay, the Burnett skein will search for a crooner who could step in as the lead singer of an existing, internationally known rock group.

A 'crooner' ......... for INXS. Have they got themselves into debt or sumfin? Theres got to be a reason why they would sell out like that. This just doesnt make sense. :no:

the ONLY thing i have to say to any of this is...

33%3A%3A255923232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3B74%3D4%3B9%3DXROQDF%3E2323558%3C%3B35%3B%3Aot1lsi

This idea breaks my heart.

This band should change its name already. INXS is too associated with Michael Hutchence for them to go on with this name. It really bothers me that they haven't done so.

Michael Hutchence was one of the brightest lights in music...a terrific performer and oh-so-sexy and charismatic. Someone like him comes along once in a lifetime. He cannot be replaced.

R.I.P., Michael. You will never be forgotten.

Diane :sad:

Angela Harlem said:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...va_tv_ne/burnett_looking_for_a_real_rock_star

Mark Burnett....My God, they are putting an AMERICAN in INXS....
:sad:
No offence to America or Americans, but jesus...:mad:

Well... an American's input anyway...

Burnett skein may also hold international auditions, giving the skein a global feel (and the chance to be sold internationally). It will likely culminate with the winner immediately going on tour with the existing band, following a live televised concert finale.

no offense taken, I think it's a horrific idea all around, americans or no americans.

...sigh. I'm reminded of one of Michael's favorite shirts.. "watch the world argue"... :(

True wolfeden. Though on further thought, my vehemence is kinda unnessecary as INXS long ago broke the 'Australian' mould and are international in every way in that they belong to everyone, not just us. I dont think that's making much sense lol.
But yeah the idea stinks in every possible way.

I'm sick of "reality" music shows. That is not reality. I remember a time when musicians practiced and started their own bands and toured and signed to record labels without having to go on tv shows and win the praises of annoying judges.

What is wrong with this world.

I love how the headline of that Yahoo! story says Burnett is looking for a "real" rock star. :rolleyes: Music + reality TV = cheesy, artificial crap. Poo on him and poo on the surviving members of INXS for spitting on Michael's memory yet again. :madspit:

more info on this:

INXS in reality TV show

13jun04

INXS will find a new lead singer by appearing in a United States reality-TV series, Rock Star, to be produced by the man behind blockbusters Survivor and The Apprentice.

Band members Garry Beers, Kirk Pengilly, and brothers Jon, Tim and Andrew Farriss signed a deal late last week with reality-television icon Mark Burnett's company, MBP.

The program will be broadcast in 2005.

Burnett said yesterday there had been "a bidding frenzy" between major US networks NBC, CBS and ABC.

"After Michael died, we wanted to search the world for a new singer, but didn't know how we could effectively do that," Tim Farriss said.

"By having Mark and everyone at MBP embrace the concept, we've now found a fantastic way to make that happen."

INXS songwriter Andrew Farris said: "Times have changed and television is now a valued medium to reach people all over the world.

"Mark's record speaks for itself - he is an amazing producer and we are confident that together we are going to create something very different and very special."

For Rock Star, INXS will audition singers on five continents. The band members will work with hopefuls on new material.

"All ages are welcome," an INXS spokesperson said.

The winner of Rock Star will record an album and tour the globe with INXS.

INXS hatched the idea behind Rock Star themselves and pitched it to Burnett earlier this year.

INXS are expected to relocate to the United States later this year.

Since Hutchence's death, the band have performed with various artists, including US soul singer Terence Trent D'Arby and ex-Noiseworks vocalist Jon Stevens.

And the loser is the record buying public. :down:

Last edited:
oh dear :slant: I don't see this working :eyebrow:
Michael was the "spark" in INXS that made them stand out and without him, as has already been seen actually, it just doesn't work.
If the rest of the band want to carry on making music then fair enough but perhaps it's time to close the INXS chapter and work under another name. At least that'd give them the freedom to mess about musically and with different singers and stuff without being compared too much to what they used to be.
I don't think they'll find the sorta singer they want or need through a reality TV show cos the sorta people that go on those programmes seem to be so bland and samey :slant:
I reckon INXS kinda missed the boat on the whole 80s band making a comeback thing anyway, I don't think there's enough interest now to allow them to do that successfully :slant:

Thanks for the more info, Beli. I hate to say it, but it sounds like it may be a done deal. I was hoping from what I had heard, there was a chance that it could have been a rumor, or maybe it was just Burnett's wishful thinking.

I hate reality TV shows anyway. And they seem to be getting worse. I feel bad for all the singers or bands who work thier asses off trying to succed and then see people like Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aikan and whoever else get a free ride. I loved Michael Hutchance, and I never felt like they should just try to put in a new singer, and go on under the name INXS. I just have a really hard time understanding why the would WANT to do this reality thing! Do they really think it will work?

I keep checking the calendar to see if its April 1, but alas we are in mid June.
Such a disrespectful way to try to replace Hutchence.

INXS: Is Michael replaceable?

INXS to star in reality TV show
Rock group INXS are to search for a new lead singer on a reality TV show.
The show, titled Rock Star, will see the band hold auditions on five continents to find a replacement for Michael Hutchence, who died in 1997.

The winner will have the chance to record an album with the band as well as touring with them.

Since Hutchence's death in 1997, the band have continued with a number of different singers including Terence Trent D'Arby and Jon Stevens.

Fantastic

"After Michael died we wanted to search the world for a new singer but didn't know how we could effectively do that," INXS guitarist Tim Farriss said.

"But we've now found a fantastic way to make that happen."

Rock Star will differ from other TV talent shows in that the winner will not be chosen entirely by viewers.

Instead, hopefuls will work with the band and music industry professionals, who will assess their performances.

There's room on TV for more than one great music-based show
Mark Burnett
Producer
The programme will be made by Mark Burnett Productions, the company behind US reality TV hits Survivor and The Apprentice.
It will be broadcast on US screens in 2005. Mr Burnett said the band pitched the idea to him earlier this year.

"I am a long-time fan of INXS and feel very fortunate that they approached us with this idea and have entrusted us with their future," he said.

"There's room on TV for more than one great music-based show, and I feel that rock music has been totally left out of that mix."

INXS have sold more than 30m albums during their 25-year career and topped charts all over the world.

US soul singer Terence Trent D'Arby and Jon Stevens, former frontman of the Australian band Noiseworks, are among those who have sung with the band since Michael Hutchence's death.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/3805467.stm

Published: 2004/06/14 13:49:58 GMT

Back
Top Bottom