Just plain WRONG- reality show to help INXS find replacement singer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
INXS was one of my earliest music memories...I've been out of it but I plan to buy the Best of, the latest one and get reacqainted.

I remember seeing INXS play with Stevens at the Olympics and while it was odd seing them without Michael, they did ok on that performance IMO. (did they record any albums after his death?)

:confused: I dunno...while it's true that a singer is the hardest position to replace in a band - and especially such a charismatic one - there are bands who kept going without ex-members. Stones, REM, Metallica ...

No albums were recorded, but some songs have been.

Especially in view of the fact that recording technology has developed so much since the first recordings, did any of the original recordings undergo any significant digital processing, production or re-recording?

GB: ?No, no re-recording. Obviously the unreleased songs are new recordings, and because it was unreleased stuff with Michael?s voice we went in and did some bits and piece on that, because it was unfinished. The old stuff we had remastered by Don Bartley in Sydney, and spent painstaking hours going through our tape vaults, which we needed to do anyway, because the stuff has a shelf life, and needed transferring to different mediums for storage. Because we want to hang on to all our masters for obvious reasons. But we picked the songs and remastered them, so that they all sound a bit more sparkly.?

How has INXS reinvented itself following Michael Hutchence?s tragic death? Where is the INXS?s new music heading?

GB: ?I guess we?ll see. I guess we?ll all have that happy journey together. The songs that we?ve been writing sound awesome, and Jon Stevens is a permanent member now and fitting in really well. And also it?s a different thing in many ways, because we?re all based in Australia. And we?re all a phone call or a jump-in-the-car away. Before it was conference calls to Paris, and blah, blah blah. Things can get bigger than Ben Hur, and in the end, quite often the music suffers. We?re really enjoying it, it?s not like starting again, but it is a lot fresher the way we?re doing it, and a lot more organic. So we?re enjoying our music more than ever. And all the world?s experts were telling us to break up when Michael died, but we?ll happily stick it up their noses, because now the band?s still one of the best live bands in the world. And John Stevens, besides being a good mate, is an awesome front man and a great singer. And Americans had never heard of him before, but when we went over there they were like, ?My God, who?s this guy!? And it?s all guns blazing at the moment, it?s feeling really good.?

Pull your head out, Garry.
:mad:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/apertout/INXS.htm

no worries.

it was down at the bottom somewhere.

stupid idea. very stupid idea.

melon :up:

ughh INXS was a great band in the 80's and isn't the same without Michael .. it's putting that memory of INXS in a real bad way and given something to the corporate entertainment industry which is already so screwed up ..
and it's got a weird history back to Bob Geldof when Survivor started off on Planet 24 which Geldof owned and ke[pt the rights to Survivor until I think Castaway production licensed it out in the U.s to Burnett.. and so now Geldof business partner Mark Burnett is the man behind Hutch's replacement.. just a weird bit of history..

either way this stinks that INXS band member would go about it in this way..

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. I really enjoyed their music and Michael was one of the best frontmen in my lifetime. I even used the song "Never Tear Us APart" as my wedding song. If the remaining members of Inxs wish to continue making music, do it under a different name.

What I think is the most sad part about the whole thing is that it will probably have great ratings. And, you know, that just sucks.

This is so freakin' lame.

I was such a huge fan of the band. When Michael died ( I know it's stupid i didn't know him ) I was heartbroken as I'm sure many of us were... He was such an amazing talent.

I will NOT watch this show. I am very disappointed in the Farriss bros.

I was fortunate enough to see INXS twice when Michael was still with us. One was a great show on the Kick tour. The other was just a decent performance on the Full Moon tour (supporting a weak album and playing songs from it, spells erratic disjointed setlist). INXS were one of my OTHER favorite bands.

I had the oppurtunity to see them on the double bill with Simple Minds in Detroit in 2002 (Simple Minds was fantastic, if they ever come back to the U.S. check them out. Jim Kerr has as much passion for singing live as Bono). The lead singer INXS had looked like, sounded like, and moved just like Michael. It was just plain freaky and I almost found it preverse in a way. The band was tight, setlist was good, but it just felt wrong if that makes sense. I was also able to talk to Andrew Farris backstage and he was a really cool down to earth guy. The feeling I get from them is that they feel they were the musical backbone of the band and they dont want to start over with a new name. After all, Andrew wrote just about all the music to most INXS songs. But for me it would be like U2 going on without Bono. NO WAY!

Last edited:
Was that Jon Stevens, do you recall? I saw him front them a couple of years ago and found it extemely unnerving. It was just eerie and weird. He did too good a job I think. I dunno, it was strange though.

Back
Top Bottom