Just plain wrong.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Grammy winner respects Dylan, loves Sting

Never lived prom king dreams

John Mayer by the numbers: six feet four, twenty-five years old, 2.5 million albums sold, one Grammy. "I don't have the Grammy yet," Mayer says. "It will be here soon. I'm going to put a 40-gig hard drive in it, a fire-wire port and a little speaker. I'm turning it into an MP3 player."
It's "Your Body Is a Wonderland" -- the second single from his major-label debut, Room for Squares -- that won him the Grammy for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, beating out his idol, Sting, and one of his early supporters, Elton John. Mayer is a motormouth from Connecticut who's been touring relentlessly for most of the past three years. With a live album and DVD, Any Given Thursday, just out, he's settling into new Manhattan digs to begin work on another record. "New York's a great equalizer for someone like myself," he says. "Coming off this Tilt-A-Whirl for the last two years -- there is no special treatment here. It's, 'Fuck you! Get in line with the rest of us!' It's New York City."

What's the first record you ever bought?

Rock and Roll Over, by Kiss. I traced that album cover many times. But the first LP I bought with my own money was Debbie Gibson's Out of the Blue. "Only in My Dreams," "Shake Your Love" -- she was writing and producing that shit in her garage! That's unrivaled even today.

Who is the greatest singer-songwriter of all time?

History tells me Bob Dylan. That's the answer I want to give you. Artists like Dylan and Robert Johnson are unequivocally great, but I listen to it under an archival light, like I'm going to a library. So, personally, it's gotta be Sting.

How would you answer the claim that post-Police, Sting sucks?

I can name just as many great Sting songs as Police songs. Just as many. He's great at being consistent. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's stayed not your cup of tea in the same way it's not your cup of tea, while getting better at being not your cup of tea for the last fifteen years, ya know? Sting just makes sense to me. He's coming from a jazz place. It's got a rhythmic swing. It's brilliant stuff.

What's on your iPod?

I don't download music, but I do have an iPod. That's probably not the norm, but it's due to the fact that I can afford to go to Virgin Megastore and spend $300 on twenty CDs. I collect music. I think downloading has stolen more from the love of collecting music than it has from artists. I don't know how to download. I tried to find songs, but I never fucking can. It always says "connecting" or "waiting in line." You wait in line longer on any of these file-sharing things than at a Virgin.

When's the last time you went to Virgin? And what did you buy?

About a week ago. I took every Bonnie Raitt album out of there, and bought Hall and Oates' greatest-hits CD. That shit changed my life. Changed my life all over again.

If you could put together a dream concert, who'd be on the bill?

Do I close?

Sure. Who should open for you?

All right -- Mayerfest. I'd put Stevie Wonder on it, with the Roots backing him up. Then I'd put on the re-formed Police. I think they're getting back together.

What's your favorite Behind the Music?

Alice Cooper. On Behind the Music, the traditional decline of the artist happens about thirty-four minutes into the show. Do you know what caused Alice Cooper's decline? Alice drank too much beer. That's all! Not beer mixed with heroin. Alice Cooper, with the blood and guts and the gore onstage -- his only devil was beer. Just had too much barley. Too many hops.

What songs make you dance?

Justin Timberlake's "Like I Love You" -- the louder it gets, the better it gets. And what I believe to be the best dance song of all time, Lionel Richie's "All Night Long," and in parentheses, "All Night." You can feel the warm summer night. You can hear the crickets calling and answering.

Who's the hottest female rocker?

Oh, my God, Gwen Stefani. I was late on the SS Stefani. I didn't make it to the dock in time. But now I'm on it big-time.

You're still too late.

That's OK. I'm on it. She's the perfect combination of bulldog and daisy. Absolutely amazing. She has a sweetness to her that never leaves, even when she's crawling around the stage like a spider. I don't even mean it in a "Boy, would I want to bang Gwen Stefani" way. But I sure would want to grab her ass.

What's the best lyric of all time?

Well, I think that the best song is Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should've Come Over." But then there's the best line of all time, which isn't in that song. Bruce Springsteen wrote it, and it's the reason that he should have won Album of the Year. I love Norah [Jones], I think Norah is amazing. But in "My City of Ruins," where he sings, "There's tears on the pillow/Darling, where we slept/You took my heart/When you left" -- it's the greatest line ever.

You think?

If you don't respond to that, you are an android and you should be melted.

See exclusive performances of "Your Body Is a Wonderland" and "No Such Thing"

AUSTIN SCAGGS
(March 11, 2003)

:| I don't understand what's plain wrong? His taste in music? His attitude? :scratch:

Not a fan here, but am I missing something?

hes the michael bolton of our generation.

in the words of someone much cooler than i, hes a "no talent ass-clown."

i love office space more than my current username.

:hug: giant lemon :hug:

Gickies Gageeze said:
hes the michael bolton of our generation.

in the words of someone much cooler than i, hes a "no talent ass-clown."

i love office space more than my current username.

no no no..`tis YOU who are the coolest. I bow down in front of thee Gageeze. :bow:

John Mayer absolutely bores the shit out of me. Hearing one second of one of his songs lulls me into the most peaceful sleep. How he is popular, I will never know.. but then again.. I don't get the popularity, other than being disposable - of most of what's popular out there today. :sigh: :tsk:

I will try to defend him.....despite not really being a fan.

1) I could think of a lot worse and less original things to be shoved down my ass right now (example: any other pop music like Brittany, or Justin, or boy band, or etc. etc.). I like that the music scene is goign to something a bit less main stream and crappy.

2) well, there is no two. except for the fact he doesn't feel like he needs a "Image" to go along with his music - like Brittney or Poison or something.

To summarize...it could be worse.....it could be *****!

Gickies Gageeze said:

I don't quite understand why I'm being hugged in a John Mayer thread, but thanks I guess.

As for John Mayer, have you guys ever noticed how ridiculous he looks when he sings? He bobs around like a chicken, makes weird facial expressions, and sticks his tongue out. I like to watch him perform just because it cracks me up. :laugh:

:eyebrow:

:snore: well if there was a snore smiley i'd need it. remind me again why i read that whole thing? boring. he's boring. i find it very hard to beleive that all his favourite music is made by people who are massivly popular and constantly played on huge corporate top 40 pop stations across the country and ONLY on those stations. either that or they're bands/people who are suddenly making news for perhaps rock and roll hall of fame inductions...

john mayer reminds me of a virgin mega-store ad, rather than a frequent shopper.

"no talent ass-clown" definetly.

May I introduce you to the yawn smilie. Someone named IWasBored should definitely make its acquaintance:

:yawn:

:yawn: i had no idea there was a yawning smiley

well then i guess we don't need a snoring one...i should actually look at the smiley list instead of only using the ones i remember :der:

:yawn:

:silent: I think he is kinda cute.

:reject:

But TOTALLY agree with Giant Lemon, he look so strange on stage.

I must be the only friggin person on this board who likes this guy. I do agree he does some strange stuff on stage sometimes, but on the dvd he says he doesn't know he's doing it :der:

I don?t believe in piling on. I thought this was going to be ?I like JM thread?.

But, this guy is everything that is wrong with pop music. Lightweight, would be a compliment because it suggests there is at least something to be weighed.

I was going out with this gal a few months back. She told me she liked Wilco. Then she brought his (JM) CD over.
Well, it was all down hill from there. I lost all interest in her.

Melon, if he is ?gay? so what. Talent and charisma can elude anyone.

i kind of like him. i don't care if he likes alice cooper or if he's gay or if he's dumb or whatever. yeah he's a lightweight, but sometimes i'm in a lightweight mood. he could be way worse.

HeadsOnSticks said:

no no no..`tis YOU who are the coolest. I bow down in front of thee Gageeze. :bow:

ahhh, how cute...:sexywink:

i love this move, "hugging" someone who doesnt know why theyre being hugged. neither do i, though...or do i? no, no i dont, but maybe i do - or dont...maybe.

:sexywink:

I don't get why this interview is just plain wrong. Sounds like a fairly normal guy to me. I don't really care for his music, but man, can we at least separate the man from the music? he seems to be a fairly cool guy judging from the interview. It's not like he's making outrageous claims or going off on how great he is, and he's got decent taste in music from the looks of it (apparently he regularly plays Radiohead covers in his shows).

Calm down people.

NO, YOU CALM DOWN ASS FACE!!!!!!!

YOU ARE SO UGLY AND DEAD!!!!!!!

hot dog! this hugging is the shiznit, it adds something so rediculous to the post that simply cannot be described.

"i cant believe its not b- i mean nickelback!"

ah, dont look back in anger - hey screw you screaming flower - elvis is dead!!! dont mock those who are dead!!!

Back
Top Bottom