Just plain wrong.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screaming Flower said:
OMG STOP BEING SUCH A FREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry:

me or dieman?

?

?? ??? ??? ?? ?? ?? ??

so many la lalalalalallaalalallalal questions la bumba!

lalalalalla bumba!!!!

im in mexico!!!!

mexicola!!!!! mexico!

:hug: giant lemon :hug:

I'm a sucker for acoustic guitar-playing singer-songwriters, and I thought his first single, "No Such Thing" was decent. But I lost the tiny bit of respect I had for the guy when I heard "Your Body is a Wonderland." Writing lyrics that bad should be a capital offense. :yuck: :rolleyes:

i didn't know i even had an opinion about this guy

Diemen said:
I don't get why this interview is just plain wrong. Sounds like a fairly normal guy to me. I don't really care for his music, but man, can we at least separate the man from the music? he seems to be a fairly cool guy judging from the interview. It's not like he's making outrageous claims or going off on how great he is, and he's got decent taste in music from the looks of it (apparently he regularly plays Radiohead covers in his shows).

Calm down people.

Diemen, I really respect and like you, which is why I am going to take the time to lovingly redirect you here. All in good fun, mind you, and I totally agree that he's probably a decent enough guy and we're all being mean. Still, I can't resist.

Now let's take a closer look:

JUST PLAIN WRONG #1:

What's the first record you ever bought?

But the first LP I bought with my own money was Debbie Gibson's Out of the Blue. "Only in My Dreams," "Shake Your Love" -- she was writing and producing that shit in her garage! That's unrivaled even today.

note: Wrong at any age. I bought my first record at age 6 with my own money and it was the Jackson 5. It was 1966, they were black and cool and kids and you could dance to it and we had no idea at the time what the future would bring Mikey. Debbie was never cool.

JUST PLAIN WRONG #2:

Who is the greatest singer-songwriter of all time?

History tells me Bob Dylan. That's the answer I want to give you. Artists like Dylan and Robert Johnson are unequivocally great, but I listen to it under an archival light, like I'm going to a library. So, personally, it's gotta be Sting.

note: 'nuff said

JUST PLAIN WRONG #3:

When's the last time you went to Virgin? And what did you buy?

About a week ago. I took every Bonnie Raitt album out of there, and bought Hall and Oates' greatest-hits CD. That shit changed my life. Changed my life all over again.

note: Yes, I too used to own Bonnie Raitt and Hall & Oates' records. But you really only need one Bonnie Raitt record, not all of them, because she's been recording the same song and playing the same riff for 30 years. Hall & Oats were awesome circa Abandoned Luncheonette, 1973, but could hardly be classifed as anything remotely resembling life-changing today.

JUST PLAIN WRONG #4:

If you could put together a dream concert, who'd be on the bill?

Do I close?

note: Oh please.

Sure. Who should open for you?

All right -- Mayerfest. I'd put Stevie Wonder on it, with the Roots backing him up. Then I'd put on the re-formed Police. I think they're getting back together.

Note: Let's get this straight, Stevie Wonder opens the show, followed by the Police, and then John Mayer brings the house down! Yeah!

JUST PLAIN WRONG #5:

What's your favorite Behind the Music?

Alice Cooper. On Behind the Music, the traditional decline of the artist happens about thirty-four minutes into the show. Do you know what caused Alice Cooper's decline? Alice drank too much beer. That's all! Not beer mixed with heroin. Alice Cooper, with the blood and guts and the gore onstage -- his only devil was beer. Just had too much barley. Too many hops.

Note: :tsk:

JUST PLAIN WRONG #6:

What songs make you dance?

Justin Timberlake's "Like I Love You" -- the louder it gets, the better it gets.

Note: I don't know the song, but I'm sure it's Just Plain Wrong.

JUST PLAIN WRONG #7:

I don't even mean it in a "Boy, would I want to bang Gwen Stefani" way. But I sure would want to grab her ass.

Note: Oh stop it. melon says rumour has it you're gay. That means you're gay. That is, if melon's sources are anything like my gay friends' sources which usually involve some kind of first hand experience. Come on out, dude.

JUST PLAIN WRONG #8:

What's the best lyric of all time?

Well, I think that the best song is Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should've Come Over."

Note: Okay, I love Jeff Buckley. I heard him perform this song live many times and it was much much much better live than the recorded version. It was awesome. But the lyrics still make me cringe, especially the title, and cannot possibly called the best song ever written.

JUST PLAIN WRONG #9:

But then there's the best line of all time, which isn't in that song. Bruce Springsteen wrote it, ...But in "My City of Ruins," where he sings, "There's tears on the pillow/Darling, where we slept/You took my heart/When you left" -- it's the greatest line ever.

note: Love the Boss, love the song, but I can't top the writer's response: If you don't respond to that, you are an android and you should be melted.

WTF Hall and Oates? (wuss-rock)

I think I've called John Mayer this once before (sorry u2er)...

Oscar-Mayer-Whiner...

Screaming Flower said:
stop drinkin tha hatorade, yo. :|

LOL, flower, you crack me up.

:hug: flower :hug:

joyfulgirl: points taken. Maybe he's not a particularly cool guy after all, but refer to my initial comment about him - he seems like a fairly normal guy. Okay, so the Debbie Gibson is indeed wrong. So he likes Sting, I don't see that as just plain wrong. So he thinks Sting is, to him, the best singer-songwriter. I don't agree, but it's not exactly the most offensive opinion ever. So he likes Bonny Raitt and hall and oates - so what? They're not gods of music, but it's not the worst thing on earth, either. Nothing plain wrong about that. As for the concert, I think he interpreted the question maybe a little egotistically, but nothing outrageous about it. I actually think his comment about the Alice Cooper behind the music is funny, too. At least he didn't say he was wrapped up in all the drama surrounding britney spears life and bitter trials. :slant: Justin Timberlake, well, let's face it, it's dance music.

All in all, they might not be the must enlightened or interesting opinions out there, but I see nothing (besides Debbie Gibson) that makes him seem "just plain wrong." Lightweight, sure. "Just plain wrong" I save for the likes of Courtney Love's music and most of the tripe that passes for hip-hop/rap on mtv these days.

Last edited:
well, I don't care for mayer, but as far as the gay thing,
this guy was bangin' jennifer love hewitt.
no guy on this board had her.:p

Screaming Flower said:
i'm way dorkier than john mayer. you guys could go to town about me.
Add me to the dork club.

I also have to add that you guys are guilty of liking some pretty lame-ass boring music that I could never understand the greatness in. Still not a fan of John, but at least he writes his own music and plays an instrument.

angel would you like to be in my dork club? we could be the coolest dorks ever.

:hug: angel :hug:

hi diemen. :flirt:

you two dorks are a billion times cooler than the other dork, even on your dorkiest of dork days.

:up:

dont say i never say nothing nice about you. :wink:

Screaming Flower said:
angel would you like to be in my dork club? we could be the coolest dorks ever.
yes :hyper: yes :hyper: yes

The two dorks who aren't going to Vegas club. :silent:

:wave: Maybe Dieman can join?

bonosgirl84 said:
:bow: joyfulgirl

he wrote the lyric "your bubblegum tongue." what more needs to be said?

Ditto! Good point! That lyric makes me cringe. Otherwise, John Mayer pretty much isn't even on my radar screen most of the time.

:lmao: at joyfulgirl's point by point analysis. By the way, joyful, did you see that Tori is going to be on Oxygen Sunday night? Woohoo!

deep said:
Melon, if he is ?gay? so what. Talent and charisma can elude anyone.

Who said anything about me saying he's talented. I just stated a rumor. :sexywink:

Melon

And for Christ's sake. He's a musician, not Gandhi. Are you expecting profound statements? If you have these many problems with a light, non-serious interview, then I think that it may be you guys that have the problem, not him.

BTW, I am not a fan of his music. This thread seems a bit melodramatic, though.

melon

melon said:
And for Christ's sake. He's a musician, not Gandhi. Are you expecting profound statements? If you have these many problems with a light, non-serious interview, then I think that it may be you guys that have the problem, not him.

BTW, I am not a fan of his music. This thread seems a bit melodramatic, though.

melon

As usual, well said, melon.

Screaming Flower said:

good plan! :hyper:

we need a name and a logo. :sexywink:

Dork Pride!
our%20gang%20alfalfa%20dork.jpg

Back
Top Bottom