Just how long IS a cold supposed to last anyway???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I have had a horrendous "cold" since January 5. That makes one full month. I have stayed home on occasion, but mostly been at work and doing normal things. I eat very well and get about 8 hours a night sleep.

This cold has gone from a very sore throat with swollen glands where I could barely speak, to massive sneezing, to a brief and light stomach flu with dizziness, to the stage it is now, sitting in my chest, where I hack up all kinds of unmentionables all day :yuck: and no doubt my asthma makes it worse.

I fully lost my sense of taste and smell, and it is only now starting to get back, but I still blow my nose and wheeze/cough all day.

Is this normal? People keep telling me to go to the Dr. but I feel totally ridiculous going to the Dr. for a COLD!

Any advice, medical or otherwise would be helpful!

When Should You Seek Medical Attention?

You need professional health care when you have:

- A fever over 101?F that lasts more than 24 hours.

- A sore throat that is very severe or has lasted over 3 days.

- Tonsils that are enlarged or have white spots on them.

- Swollen glands.

- Chest pains, are short of breath, or have a wheezing cough.

- A cough lasting a week longer than the other cold symptoms.

- Greenish, yellowish, bloody sputum being coughed up.

- An earache.

- A severe headache or facial pain which is not relieved by aspirin substitute.

Seek medical attention at the onset of a cold if you have a history of rheumatic fever, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema or any other chronic illness.

*scolds Jess in best nagging voice...GET YOURSELF TO THE DOCTOR!!!! :shame:

:tsk: you need to go to a Dr. especially if you have asthma! I'm surprised you can even breathe if it's in your chest. You should always go to a Dr. if you have asthma and the cold last longer than a few days. It could turn into all sorts of unpleasant illnesses. I speak from experience. :tsk: It's not pleasant at all.

Go at once!

Wow. Thanks for the feedback!

Even the Artistic Director thinks I should go to the Dr. So does my mom.

OK! OK! I am going tomorrow at 3pm.

(watch all the symptoms disappear tonight!)

^sound advice

it may be my imagination, but here in Australia, some of the flu's people have been getting take a loooong time to shake off. Someone just the other day reminded me how ill I was a year or two ago. It's easy to forget when you are feeling strong and well.

"watch all the symptoms disappear tonight!"
isn't that always the way?
I almost have doctor phobia ( if there is such a thing), but I went the other day**pats own back** I'm taking antibiotics now, as a last resort ( they don't work for a cold)
At least there is some good news, what's that old saying?
"feed a cold, starve a fever"? You have mentioned before how much you enjoy your food....eat lotsa veges, with garlic, chili and ginger and lemons....Always LEMONS!( lemon juice helps dry up mucus)
**cass gives jess a lollipop**
Get well soon.....preferably before February 14...k?:sexywink:

Mrs. Edge, I'm glad that you are going to see a doctor. Sounds like you have something more than a cold, so that's nothing to fool around with. Take care and I hope you get a good report. :hug:

Jess, I'm glad you made an appointment to see a doctor. The worse that happens is that you saw your doctor for a cold! But if it is something more serious, you'll know, you'll get the right medication and you'll be feeling MUCH better by your Valentine's Day weekend!

Diane L said:

you'll get the right medication and you'll be feeling MUCH better by your Valentine's Day weekend!

:yes:

I was going to say "and you don't want to be stuck in bed over Valentine's weekend do you?"

but um...nevermind :silent: :sexywink:

Might be more than a cold? I sometimes get influenza and/or a sinus infection that starts with a cold and sore throat. Both take at least a month for me to get over (the cold goes back and forth between my sinuses and lungs) which sucks b/c there's no meds you can take for those since they are viral. Last time, my mom sent me to the Dr. and he was more interested in the mole on my back.

Oooh! Oooh! I have an Immunology degree! Pick me! :wink:

It takes about a week to clear a cold virus.

You may have a particularly resistant strain, or your immune system may be unable to fight it. Or, you may have a bacterial infection you are unable to fight (lots of times the really gooky green stuff you spit up is an indication of bacterial infections).

They don't really give out anti-virals often, but you might be in luck since you've been sick so long.

Its been known that stress can prolong any viral infection. :yes:

And besides, who wants to be flat on their back for Valentines Day! :wink:

Lastly, a nice week in a dry land (desert) sounds just like what the doctor might order...have him write an RX for it!!! :up:

Well, it's a good thing I went to the doctor! You guys were right!

Turns out I have full blown bronchitis, that my lungs are full of fluid and other gunk, and that had I not gone to get some meds, it would have turned into pneumonia!! :ohmy:

cydewaze wouldn't have been too happy if I had THAT on Vday. :reject:

Thanks for all your concern you guys, you are the BEST!!! :hug: :heart:

So...now that we've all ganged up on you and made you go to the doctor, is there any chance we can convince you to stay in this weekend and get some rest? :sexywink: :laugh:

Well you know, I ate a big lunch today, so I thought I'd go to the condo gym to work out a bit. But no way. I was exhausted after about 10 minutes. I am suddenly feeling very weak, and my lungs are a disaster. It's like I'm suddenly getting worse now that I've been diagnosed or something. :shrug:

Anyway, I am definitely staying in bed all weekend. I wish soaps were on, I never watch them and it just seems like such a decandent thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom