just how good is pink floyd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
now, i'll be the first to agree that some of their songs are just flat out unlistenable. i'm all for experimentation, and i realize some will be able to understand and appreciate everything they've ever done.

but a song like jugband blues is just so amazing, and for all the right reasons.

it's so simple.

it starts nice, goes crazy in the middle and you don't expect it to come back...but it does.

"and the sea isn't green,
and i love the queen..."

such simple lyrics that were probably made without ever intending to mean anything, but they still sound good together anyway.

then there's us and them. unreal. the first 3 minutes of that song are like none other.

carrion.

Forgive my compromised sense of humour, but I want to answer our host's question about who Pink Floyd is - he's one of our finest actors.

~Penn, S.

:sexywink:

yeah, i think it's pretty safe to assume that everyone here knows who they are.

noone's making fun of them, sean, relax.

gosh, you really know how to bring down a crowd.

arent there already 5 threads about pink floyd in the band index??

your blatant disregard for the band index will only lead to its demise.

now before you post a new thread about creed, remember to check the band index, there are two fine Creed threads you can add to.

go away, newbie.

those threads were old, and if we're gonna recycle the same shit over and over again, that'd be nothing short of counter-productive and would create an even more stale atmosphere here at bang and clatter.

like we need that. whatever "original" thread pops around here is either about the killers or some lame list thread that i probably even started myself.

ah shit cujo, i forgot to tell you.

i downloaded your last mp3 you sent me...

certainly interesting, though not as easy to digest as your other ones. it's got a "music" feel to it (the band).

Agreed, it's a little harsh at the moment.

Not everything should be easy to swallow though.

What?

Literally that's all I mean. If you're looking for a sexywink I'm not giving you one.

Really.

You can forget it.

:sexywink:

I prefer their 60s stuff really, its more unique and odd, whereas when they got into the '70s, excess took over, IMO.

fair enough.

but now lets talk about the greatness that is the two songs i mentioned in my initial post.

:angry:

I bet not even DaveC, who knows a lot about the Floyd, knows about the radio promotion story starring Dick Asher and the single Another Brick In The Wall Part II.. uh yeah, the good old days of CBS

Pink Floyd are a fantastic band. 2nd only for me, to you know who.
I could only describe 1 of their songs as totally unlistenable, and that's 'Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict':sigh:
(The name should be enough to put anyone off!):wink:

But for early, Syd Barrett era Floyd, the 1st album 'Piper at the gates of dawn' is certainly worth a purchase. 'The Gnome' 'Astronomy Domine' and the ever classic 'Bike', standout over the rest imo.
After that one, then next truly essential album would be 'Meddle'. The 23minute epic 'Echoes' is worth the money alone:drool:

With 'Wish you were here'/'DSOTM' and 'The Wall'. Nothing really needs to be said about these releases. Absolutely fantastic.

Entering the 80's, a lot of ppl tend to brush off the 2 Studio releases of the band, due to the fact that main man Roger Waters departed, shortly after the release of 'The Final Cut' (one of my personal faves)
After that came 'A momentary lapse of reason' with Dave Gilmour taking the lead role in the band, and bringing Rick Wright back on board, who had been absent on the last record.
Some great tracks on here, 'Sorrow' 'On the turning away' to name just 2. The subsequent live album 'Delicate sound of thunder' is pretty cool too, which includes performences of classics such as 'Time' 'Money' 'Another Brick' and 'Wish you were here'.
But the 90's releases, surpasses Gilmours last 2 efforts for me. 'The Division Bell' and the live record 'PULSE' are superb music collections.
From the word go, the atmospheric 'Cluster One' is classic Floyd sound. Rick Wright takes centre stage on vocals for the beautiful 'Wearing the inside out'.
'Coming back to life' 'High Hopes' 'Keep Talking' and the gorgeous 'Marooned' - are some more moments to treasure from the album.
And as I said, after the huge tour, came the double PULSE album, complete, if you were lucky to get a copy, with the flashing red light on the box. (Mine is still in the wrapper - and sadly, the battery perished a long time ago!) Disc 2 has the enitre DSOTM record being performed, which is mind-blowing stuff, and the equally mind-blowing 'Comfortably Numb' to follow, with Gilmour seemingly playing his guitar solo forever!:drool:

So, anyway, what was to be a quick reply to this thread, has now turned into this! So sorry for boring u all! I'll be off now, and i'm gonna whack on 'The Division Bell' - cos i'm in the mood!:wink:

It's been 11 years since The Division Bell. Will we ever see another studio album?

Unlike others who dismiss their post-Waters output, I think the The Division Bell is superb, and have been looking for a follow-up ever since. But it seems that Gilmour is in no rush...

dont even disrispect pink floyd! there tourning again soon as well!

brick in the wall and confortably numb are the best!

"we dont need no education....."

jugband blues is good - 9 out of 10 ..

us and them is better..i mean i would rate it 10 out of 10- excellent start..

btw another brick in the wall is the MOST MEDIOCRE song by pink floyd... both the songs above are way way way way way better...

my fav PF songs are

- comf numb
- high hopes
- coming back to life ( i LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this song)
- sheeps
- brain damage
- one of these days
- if ( deathbear might like this one...i absolutely love this song)
- time
- keep talking
- spk to me /breathe
- hey u
- wish u were here
- welcome to the

and lot lot more

when i was in cambridge few years back i tried finding where Sydd lived..but i got no success :(

but all i could find was "grantchester meadows" ( in cambridge)...and all i could imagine..how it would have been being there and writing that song ..

AcrobatMan

Coming back to life is great eh Acrobatman? Especially live!:drool:

I forgot to mention 'Animals' in my earlier post! How the hell did I do that?!:huh:

Anyway, amazing album - 'Sheep' and 'Dogs' are the standout moments!:drool:

Zoomerang96 said:
go away, newbie.
STFU.jpg

earthshell said:

you've got a nerve to be following me around posting shit, you know that?

you've less than a hundred posts, you've been here for only a couple of months, and you're already walking around as if you own the place.

and that comment wasn't even directed to you in the first place.

after this, things will get a lot less cordial. and that, my fellow poster, will bring out my very best.

Ahh the number of posts, the measure of a man...

Well this means I have to post for no apparent reason other than to increase my blue crack cred. :wink:

The only good thing about "Another Brick In the Wall (Part II)" is the solo. The rest of it sucked long before Korn, Marilyn Manson, or whoever else needed to cover it to look cool and rebellious did so. Quite possibly the worst song ever by a band that usually doesn't suck (after "A Man and a Woman," of course). Actually, the entire album is overrated. Too much garbage, not enough "Comfortably Numb."

I'd say their best albums were:

1. Meddle
2. The Dark Side of the Moon
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Division Bell
5. Atom Heart Mother

To answer your question ("just how good is Pink Floyd?"), I'd have to ask: which Pink Floyd?

The (brief) Barrett period had its moments (particularly "See Emily Play" and "Astronomy Domine") but was mostly noise. The mostly acoustic The Madcap Laughs is probably a better album than Barrett's collective output with Floyd.

There was a mucking about period after that from Saucerful to Atom Heart Mother or so where the band members pretty much acted independently. This mostly sucked (the point at which someone praises the studio half of Ummagumma is the point at which I disregard all their opinions, ever).

They came into focus and started working as a coherent band from Meddle through Wish You Were Here. This is their best period, obviously. Brilliant stuff.

The Waters domination began with Animals. Anyone who thinks it began earlier gives him way too much credit. Personally, I think all the highlights of this period were the parts where Gilmour could exert some influence. Look at some of the most exalted songs from the period. "Hey, You" is practically Gilmour's song. He played several guitars, rumor has it he played the bass (it sounds way too good to be Waters), he did most of the vocals. If you listen to Gilmour's early demos of "Comfortably Numb," he pretty much nailed the melody and ambience (and was obviously later responsible for the guitar solos). Waters just wrote some lyrics over it. I doubt people would remember The Wall fondly if it consisted solely of material like "The Trial."

The Final Cut was a Waters solo album. It's not bad. He had a handful of good musical ideas, just not nearly enough to carry an entire album on his own. He might've asked Dave for a hand (but at this point, Waters was more concerned with seeing "(Waters)" after every song title than with making good music).

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a Gilmour solo album. It's bad. "Learning To Fly" is a classic, though. "On the Turning Away" tries too hard, but it has a great solo or two anyway. "Sorrow" is an unlistenable "look at how far I can bend my strings!" wank-fest. As a whole, the album sounds like a bad Floyd cover band.

The Division Bell was a much more inspired album. Wright and Mason were actually involved, to start. Gilmour might overdo it with the solos, but hell, they all sound great. It's also surprisingly upbeat for a Floyd album (I know everyone likes their Floyd nothing but doom and gloom, but Dave sucks at that, so thank God he played his strengths and didn't rewrite "The Dogs of War" and "Sorrow").

Waters' Amused To Death from around this time was also pretty good (particularly compared to his other solo albums, which sucked).

(Sorry to break the circle jerk and discuss the music. So I don't get flamed: "omg pink floyd is the best band evar, my favorite song of his is we don't need no education")

Last edited:
Pink Floyd 1967 - 1983 , rip
i don't really care if gilmour could play violin or double drums , he has no songs in him , never had , good guitar player , sure , great solos , yep , but that's it , he 's no freakin eric Clapton , Steve Hackett or jeff beck
nice guy , we all know it , nice team player ,
Waters was a composer , yes his albums are not that friendly , but those are complete works , and most people never even heard them , no , they read those pathetic reviews from rollingstone or bums who imagine they know something about PF,

Back
Top Bottom