Just for fun: Have you ever done something COMPLETELY out of character? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #1
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Just for fun: Have you ever done something COMPLETELY out of character?

Have you ever done anything that people would perceive as being completely out of character for you, either by being provoked or maybe just for the sake of doing something daring? I thought this might make for an entertaining thread. I’ll give you an example of something that happened to me.

I have always been known to be an extremely shy (sometimes timid), polite and proper person. A few years ago, I was in London England with my mom on holiday. One day we decided to go to a movie. As it was starting, an announcement came on the screen saying “Ladies, watch your purses, there are thieves about!” I thought to myself, “yeah right!” but I put my purse and bag on the floor between my feet where I knew it would be safe. In the middle of the movie, I heard a very faint rustling coming from my bag. The sound of cellophane wrapper being moved. I looked down, and noticed that my bag had fallen over. Looking further, I noticed an arm inside it, coming from underneath the seat in front of me! Some guy had crawled on his stomach like a snake and was stealing my purse right under my NOSE!

Well, first I stared in amazement at his audacity. Then I became consumed with rage at this violation, and panic because my passport and money were in there. I immediately leapt to my feet and screamed “OH NO YOU DON’T! HOW DARE YOU!!!!” Scaring the living daylights out of my mom and startling the thief, who grabbed my purse and made a dash for it. In the pitch dark (with no one reacting at all, they just went on watching the movie) I proceeded to chase the thief through the theatre while screaming such expletives as the "F word"!

I chased him right out into the alley, with the door slamming behind us. It’s one of those doors that doesn’t let you back in, so he could have done anything to me, but I was too mad to care. He began to run up some stairs, so I literally threw myself on top of him and began to hit him, grabbing his jacket.

“I don’t have your purse! I didn’t get it!” he yelled at me, and then he removed his jacket and shoved me down the stairs, and got away. Turns out, he hadn’t got to my purse yet, but I had stolen the jacket right off his back! Soon after, my mom and the manager came rushing out to see if I was OK.

This story has made it into the family lore.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:31 PM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:52 PM
can't say I have

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 PM   #3
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Oh my god Jess that is the best story!!!! You tough chick you! We all have some 'out of the ordinary' in us. I can't think of anything in particular I have done out of character though. Me being out of character would probably be acting shy and quiet...
Old 08-14-2002, 12:50 PM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I've never done anything out of character because everything is in character for me.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-14-2002, 12:51 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I've never done anything out of character because everything is in character for me.
Me too. People always think I'm acting out of character because I'm so incredibly shy and quiet, but people who know me well know to expect the unexpected.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:07 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Oh yes, many times! I used to occasionally be a bit of risk-taker in my youth, not so much anymore though.

One example...when I was backpacking in Europe many years ago, I was in Italy and this cute guy on a motorcyle pulled over and indicated that I should hop on the back for a ride. He didn't speak a word of English and my Italian was pretty basic. But I hopped on. The motorcyle. Of a complete stranger. In a foreign country. And a good time was had by all.

(Kids, don't try this at home )
Old 08-14-2002, 01:15 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i attended a group discussion ..10 odd people fighting for 1 job..And i didnt utter a single word in 45 minute group discussion

I am not sure if that is out of character for me..but it is something interesting.

Dont ask if i got that job or not ? okay ?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:52 PM

People who think I'm some goody-goody and quiet would be amazed that I'm not so much like that. I can have a big mouth at times.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:33 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin One big charachter

Oddly, I don't think I do anything out of charachter, because, like BC, just about everything can be considered "out of charachter"

And I can confirm that Meeegannnnnniiiiiiie doing something would SEEM out of charachter - she seems so mild-mannered when you meet her. shocking and scandalizing.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:03 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
Me too. People always think I'm acting out of character because I'm so incredibly shy and quiet, but people who know me well know to expect the unexpected.
Same here.

One time 3 friends and I went to a male strip club. That was pretty out of character, I guess. It was more out of curiousity than anything else. And let's just say the evening was a strange mixture of hilarity and grossness. We bought a lap dance for one of our friends, and she was totally freaked out by it. The stripper could tell that she was not a lap dance type of girl, and he kept on saying stuff like "it's okay" and "don't cry- it'll be over soon." The rest of us were cracking up.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:11 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

[COLOR=royal blue]I dunno what my character is. If someone could tell me maybe I'd know if I was out of it. [/COLOR]
Old 08-14-2002, 07:58 PM   #12
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Giant Lemon

The stripper kept on saying stuff like "it's okay" and "don't cry- it'll be over soon."

don't cry it'll be over soon???? the stripper said THAT????

that is too damn funny!!!

i cant think of anything that i've done out of character...i'll have to ask around....
Old 08-14-2002, 09:05 PM   #13
Refugee

Great story Jess !

I'm usually very shy around people I don't know, but when I'm with people who know me very well I can do plenty of things that are out of character..(but I won't share the stories).
Old 08-14-2002, 11:17 PM   #14
Refugee

Like others have said in this topic, I am also known to be a shy and somewhat goody-goody person. I can't say I've really done too much out of character, except for when my sister brought one of her friends over to our house (whom I can't stand at all) and I kept shouting down the stairs and on the phone "Get the F*** out of my house NOOOWW!" So yeah, that was not very exciting...but I never really swear at anyone or raise my voice.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:23 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:52 PM
I dont know what character i am!