Just for fun: Have you ever done something COMPLETELY out of character?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
Have you ever done anything that people would perceive as being completely out of character for you, either by being provoked or maybe just for the sake of doing something daring? I thought this might make for an entertaining thread. I?ll give you an example of something that happened to me.

I have always been known to be an extremely shy (sometimes timid), polite and proper person. A few years ago, I was in London England with my mom on holiday. One day we decided to go to a movie. As it was starting, an announcement came on the screen saying ?Ladies, watch your purses, there are thieves about!? I thought to myself, ?yeah right!? but I put my purse and bag on the floor between my feet where I knew it would be safe. In the middle of the movie, I heard a very faint rustling coming from my bag. The sound of cellophane wrapper being moved. I looked down, and noticed that my bag had fallen over. Looking further, I noticed an arm inside it, coming from underneath the seat in front of me! Some guy had crawled on his stomach like a snake and was stealing my purse right under my NOSE!

Well, first I stared in amazement at his audacity. Then I became consumed with rage at this violation, and panic because my passport and money were in there. I immediately leapt to my feet and screamed ?OH NO YOU DON?T! HOW DARE YOU!!!!? Scaring the living daylights out of my mom and startling the thief, who grabbed my purse and made a dash for it. In the pitch dark (with no one reacting at all, they just went on watching the movie) I proceeded to chase the thief through the theatre while screaming such expletives as the "F word"! :eek:

I chased him right out into the alley, with the door slamming behind us. It?s one of those doors that doesn?t let you back in, so he could have done anything to me, but I was too mad to care. He began to run up some stairs, so I literally threw myself on top of him and began to hit him, grabbing his jacket.

?I don?t have your purse! I didn?t get it!? he yelled at me, and then he removed his jacket and shoved me down the stairs, and got away. Turns out, he hadn?t got to my purse yet, but I had stolen the jacket right off his back! Soon after, my mom and the manager came rushing out to see if I was OK.

This story has made it into the family lore.

Last edited:
Oh my god Jess that is the best story!!!! :D You tough chick you! We all have some 'out of the ordinary' in us. I can't think of anything in particular I have done out of character though. :lol: Me being out of character would probably be acting shy and quiet... :crack: :crack: :crack:

Bonochick said:
I've never done anything out of character because everything is in character for me.

Me too. People always think I'm acting out of character because I'm so incredibly shy and quiet, but people who know me well know to expect the unexpected. :D

Oh yes, many times! I used to occasionally be a bit of risk-taker in my youth, not so much anymore though.

One example...when I was backpacking in Europe many years ago, I was in Italy and this cute guy on a motorcyle pulled over and indicated that I should hop on the back for a ride. He didn't speak a word of English and my Italian was pretty basic. But I hopped on. The motorcyle. Of a complete stranger. In a foreign country. And a good time was had by all.

(Kids, don't try this at home :no: )

i attended a group discussion ..10 odd people fighting for 1 job..And i didnt utter a single word in 45 minute group discussion :silent:

I am not sure if that is out of character for me..but it is something interesting.

Dont ask if i got that job or not ? okay ?

One big charachter

Oddly, I don't think I do anything out of charachter, because, like BC, just about everything can be considered "out of charachter"

And I can confirm that Meeegannnnnniiiiiiie doing something would SEEM out of charachter - she seems so mild-mannered when you meet her. shocking and scandalizing.

meegannie said:
Me too. People always think I'm acting out of character because I'm so incredibly shy and quiet, but people who know me well know to expect the unexpected. :D

Same here. :yes:

One time 3 friends and I went to a male strip club. That was pretty out of character, I guess. It was more out of curiousity than anything else. And let's just say the evening was a strange mixture of hilarity and grossness. :p We bought a lap dance for one of our friends, and she was totally freaked out by it. The stripper could tell that she was not a lap dance type of girl, and he kept on saying stuff like "it's okay" and "don't cry- it'll be over soon." The rest of us were cracking up. :laugh:

[COLOR=royal blue]I dunno what my character is. If someone could tell me maybe I'd know if I was out of it. [/COLOR]

Giant Lemon said:

The stripper kept on saying stuff like "it's okay" and "don't cry- it'll be over soon." :laugh:

don't cry it'll be over soon???? the stripper said THAT????

that is too damn funny!!!

i cant think of anything that i've done out of character...i'll have to ask around....

Great story Jess !

I'm usually very shy around people I don't know, but when I'm with people who know me very well I can do plenty of things that are out of character..(but I won't share the stories). ;)

Like others have said in this topic, I am also known to be a shy and somewhat goody-goody person. I can't say I've really done too much out of character, except for when my sister brought one of her friends over to our house (whom I can't stand at all) and I kept shouting down the stairs and on the phone "Get the F*** out of my house NOOOWW!" So yeah, that was not very exciting...but I never really swear at anyone or raise my voice.

hey!!! I once visited this wonderful lady I'd only met on the internet and stayed at her and her husband's lovely pad, and never even called my husband to tell him I was ok. did I say I even went out of the country to do this???

hey!!! wait a minute...I once knew this wonderful lady who let this stranger stay at her house...

well, anyways, we all had a wonderful visit, stored wonderful memories... and who knows... someday... it might happen again!!!

Thanks!!!!!!Fondly!!!!!!!

Hilarious story, Jess! BRAVA to you!

Hmmm...I think the first 30 years of my life were "out of character" for me, as I have very conservative underpinnings, and have become much more conservative as I get older (much to my own chagrin). But at one time I was a real party animal, really wild (I shudder to recall). Once, back in the 80s, a friend and I were at local club, after we'd had "tee many martoonies" and were pretty hamered. :huh: Once inside, we somehow hooked up with these two guys who were acquaintences of ours, and as things typically go in bars, we ended up playing major kissy-face with them.

Well, I had forgotten about this, but (as this was the 80s and I was in my semi-Goth mode), I'd had on the darkest RED lipstick around at the time (Viva Glam!). :kiss: I'm usually pretty meticulous about my "look" when I go out....but not this night.

When the lights came on at 2:00 a.m. bar time, and people were filing out the door, a girl stopped in front of me, grabbed my face and said, "oh HONEY! You've got red lipstick smeared ALL over your face!" :eek: :mac: But wait...it gets better.

The four of us were going to go back to our apt., so my friend and her guy went to get the car...I on the other hand, proceeded to grab my guy, throw him to the ground on his back, then I *straddled him* and continued to :kiss: smooch :kiss: all over him till a car pulls up, and my girlfriend jumps out yelling, "Kelli! WHAT on earth are you doing???" (but she was laughing)

Yep. Good times. :scream: I'd say that's a bit out of character for me. :reject: :coocoo: :laugh:

Hey! What do you mean "once knew"??!!

And yes, you may visit at ANY TIME! I had a great time!

:)

drumkeeran said:
hey!!! wait a minute...I once knew this wonderful lady who let this stranger stay at her house...

well, anyways, we all had a wonderful visit, stored wonderful memories... and who knows... someday... it might happen again!!!

Thanks!!!!!!Fondly!!!!!!!

Disco, HILARIOUS story! :laugh:

Giant Lemon, I think that is very cute that the stripper said that....I have never been to a strip club, I'm sure I would just DIE of embarassement too....

Last edited:
Giant Lemon said:

One time 3 friends and I went to a male strip club. That was pretty out of character, I guess. It was more out of curiousity than anything else. And let's just say the evening was a strange mixture of hilarity and grossness. :p We bought a lap dance for one of our friends, and she was totally freaked out by it. The stripper could tell that she was not a lap dance type of girl, and he kept on saying stuff like "it's okay" and "don't cry- it'll be over soon." The rest of us were cracking up. :laugh:

Oh my holy cat!! :lol: That's one of the funniest stripper stories I've ever heard!!!! :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad: :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom