Just another Ryan Adams thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Since there's no B&C Band Index, I went out searching for a quality Ryan Adams thread myself. I made it to page 10, but I saw this thread about Panic!111!11! At The Disco, got scared and came back. It was scarring. :(

In any case, since there are no visible threads for him, this will be the new Mecca for Interference-going Adams fans. :wink:

I'm new to the man's work, but I love him already. Gold is a sprawling, but great album, Love Is Hell sounds masterful. :drool: I still haven't heard Heartbreaker yet, but it's on my list. :reject: I also heard a handful of tracks from Rock N' Roll, which may be one of the most hilarious albums ever; there must not be a single note of original material on it. :lol: What truly makes it great is that it's such a "f*** off" to his label and the industry in general. I wouldn't buy it, but I respect the balls it took to release it. :up:

So, I own:

Gold

And will soon be getting:

Heartbreaker
Love Is Hell
Cold Roses

Now, since the man is so prolific and I'm a n00b to his world, are there any big surprises coming this year? New album perhaps?

Let's get this thread rolling.

Last edited:
Try Jacksonville City Nights instead of Cold Roses. It's a great album that bears up to several hundred listens. Cold Roses might have better songs, but they're spread too much across some weaker material. Love Is Hell and Heartbreaker, however, will definitely have you on the right track.

I saw him last November in the Olympia in Dublin and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Went with trepidation given his reputation live, but he and the Cardinals were absolutely on fire. They even treated us to a ten-minute improvised version of Magnolia mountain and a countrified version of New York New York which blows the original away (if anyone knows of where to get a bootleg of it...)

Dunno about any new stuff or big suprises, but the man is so prolific it'd be hard to imagine him not releasing something this year. I mean 3 albums in 2005 and nothing in 2006 surely equals something in 2007.

:up:

Apparently he did a song with Leona Naess called "Leave your boyfriend" that I'd really like to hear. To my knowledge it's not been released yet but I could be wrong.

I recently found Cold Roses used at Half Price Books. The only album I need to complete the discography now is Heartbreaker, which is odd considering it's one of my very favorites.

I really hope he and the Cardinals make their way to Texas this year. I'm dying to see them.

Oh yeah, and while dining at Chipotle last night, 'Easy Plateau' came on in the restaurant. :drool:

PookaMacP said:
Try Jacksonville City Nights instead of Cold Roses. It's a great album that bears up to several hundred listens. Cold Roses might have better songs, but they're spread too much across some weaker material.

Cold Roses is my favorite!:love:

I haven't heard it yet either, Lara Mullen, but I'm dying too. Leona is my fave female musician.

PookaMacP said:
Dunno about any new stuff or big suprises, but the man is so prolific it'd be hard to imagine him not releasing something this year. I mean 3 albums in 2005 and nothing in 2006 surely equals something in 2007.

Well, he did have the disc with Willie Nelson last year, and he's thrown up tons of albums on his web site...although I don't know how much credit people are willing to give him for some of those. :laugh:

PookaMacP said:
Try Jacksonville City Nights instead of Cold Roses.

Personally, I much prefer Cold Roses. I also prefer 29, for that matter. I like a lot of the songs on JCN, but I just think the other two are the better releases of that year.

inmyplace13 said:

Personally, I much prefer Cold Roses. I also prefer 29, for that matter. I like a lot of the songs on JCN, but I just think the other two are the better releases of that year.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Cold Roses, but I just kinda like the flow of Jacksonville City Nights. It has a cohesive feel to it that Cold Roses lacks. 29 I can take or leave, apart from Carolina Rain, which is a classic story-telling song.

Bonochick said:

I haven't heard it yet either, Lara Mullen, but I'm dying too. Leona is my fave female musician.

I saw her the other night. She was really good.

:drool:

Cold Roses all the way :love:
I've listened to this album countless of times, no joke...probably on the top 5 of most played album on my ipod and each time is just as excellent. A really strong album, it has everything.

I really like Ryan Adams. I have Demolition, Heartbreaker, Gold, Rock and Roll, Love is Hell and 29.

inmyplace13 said:

I agree with every word. :yes:

My first RA album was Rock N Roll, which I loved, though it took me some time and repeated listenings to get to that point. I bought Cold Roses next, mostly because it was only sale, and I haven't looked back since. That album is just so beautiful, so heartbreaking, so inspiring. :heart:

29 would be my second favorite after that. Just haunting. 'Starlite Diner' gets me every time. :sad:

So yeah, if you like Ryan Adams, save yourself some effort and shipping costs and just buy all his stuff at once. It's all terrific.

HeartlandGirl said:

My first RA album was Rock N Roll, which I loved, though it took me some time and repeated listenings to get to that point. I bought Cold Roses next, mostly because it was only sale, and I haven't looked back since. That album is just so beautiful, so heartbreaking, so inspiring. :heart:

I'm glad that RNR didn't scare you off. :wink: That would be the last Ryan disc I suggest somebody to get! It has value to it, but I don't think it's an adequate representation of his talent.

Bonochick said:
I'm glad that RNR didn't scare you off. :wink: That would be the last Ryan disc I suggest somebody to get! It has value to it, but I don't think it's an adequate representation of his talent.

I see what you're saying, definitely. It's not his strong point, or what he's known for. For me, though, I think it was a good thing that I started with Rock N Roll, because I may never have given him a shot based on the 'alt country' label most people give him. I didn't really understand what that genre was, and I wasn't too eager to check it out. But after hearing his 'rock' music, I figured the stuff he did in his day job might be pretty good too. And it was, and now I'm not scared of alt country anymore. :)

But yeah, Rock N Roll. Not definitely not for beginners. :wink:

*listened to Rock N Roll today after reading this thread*

Last edited:
ANCIENT SUMERIANS!
Sorry I had to. Don't listen to the guy's music a lot but he earned my respect with the website rap from a while back :nod:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shit.

Canadiens1160 said:
ANCIENT SUMERIANS!
Sorry I had to. Don't listen to the guy's music a lot but he earned my respect with the website rap from a while back :nod:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shit.

Sadly, that made me take of him as well. :uhoh:

I'd say that anyone who loves Ryan (and he is an incredible talent) should check out Ray Lamontagne's latest album "Till the sun turns black" :drool:

Back
Top Bottom