Judo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
I?ve been practizing judo for almost 18 years and I love it.

Now, recently I was asked to coach the beginners group. Is there anyone out here who has some experiance in coaching and can give me a few tips??

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Wow AM! You must be good! 18 years!!!

I did it for a while when I was really young, about 12. I only got to orange belt, well, I think I did, that tournament was the last time I ever took it on.
I had this coach, I dunno where he came from, he's prolly in jail now...
rolleyes.gif
and after we'd do excercises, he'd pair us up. Except he would put me with the most unmatched people he could find. Like this one girl who was an absolute nut about it, she was green belt and a few years older than me, or his other favourite was this boy also a few years older than me, he had the same dan as me but he was so much bigger and stronger. I swear if landing wasn't one of the 1st things he taught us and drilled us on, I think I may have been seriously hurt a few times.
In that last tournament I ever went to, the adjudicattor matched me with this absolute amazon and my coach just said yep, thats fine. I threw it cos I was too scared to take him on. I hid behind mum until she finally took me home.

I guess with kids, they can be serious about it and you do get the occasional little psycho girl who can take on bigger boys, but mostly I think little girls can be too easily intimidated by their opponent. At a young age its hard to remember that in Judo size does not necessarily matter.

I reckon that fun and confidence in themselves are the most important things.

Good luck AM!

thanks for your reply Angela. I?m sorry to hear what you had to go through. But hey, come to my classes. I promise to be nice
biggrin.gif

It?s actually going pretty well, at least people are comming again and again and I guess that?s a good sign.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Hey AM! Only me again
biggrin.gif

I wanted to ask you, how is it going? Are you having fun with them? Do they have fun? Getting all the confidence etc? Please reply if you can, I'd love to hear how you're going with your coaching.

Hope you're doing well!

hi Angela,

it?s been going fine. Noone?s got hurt so far and everybody is having a good time. I?m getting them ready for their first belt and they are all very excited.

So far so good.
smile.gif

------------------

Ok, just me...there must someone else who did Judo here!

AM, what belt do you have?

*guesses its black and outs AM on 'list of people to be very friendly to'

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Ok, just me...there must someone else who did Judo here!

I was actually starting to think about this myself.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:

AM, what belt do you have?

*guesses its black and outs AM on 'list of people to be very friendly to'

biggrin.gif

yep it?s black, so you better be nice to me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

Back
Top Bottom