JTBATC Artist League Nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
Basically what I'm hoping to do here is set up an Artist League in the style of the English Premier League and other football leagues. Basically Artists/Bands will be divided into groups (leagues) and will play "matches" against each other. And then at the end of each "season" we'll have a Champion along with a number of teams being relegated and promoted to and from lower divisions. The number of divisions and the number of teams in each division will depend on the number of bands/artists who are nominated. The ones who receive the most nominations will be placed in the top division.

Matches will be played 3 times a week (in an ideal week, if matches won't be played I'll inform people prior) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays or Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays depending on the week. Each one of these days I will post a thread of fixtures for all the matches, and people will have 48 hours (72 for the one that lasts the weekend) to place their results for each match up.

The way matches will be decided is that everyone will give each match a score of 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1, 3-2, or 3-3. A draw means that you (dis)like both bands evenly, a win by 1 goal would mean you like them a little more; 2 goals would be a lot more; and 3 would be the other sucks in comparison; a result of 0-0 would also be used if you don't know the bands. Although there will be basically no difference between a 2-1, and 1-0 game those options are just really a matter of personal preference. A final result will be arrived at by me adding up everyone's results to give each match a final result that will be counted on the table.

Along with making a thread for fixtures and "voting" three times a week, I will also make a Discussion Thread which will feature an up to date League table after each result and will be where people can discuss all the goings on of the League.

If anyone has any other questions about how the league will work just post in this thread and ask me. Or if you have any rules ideas or amendments I will also be willing to hear them in this thread.

Anyway to the point of this thread;
This is the nominations thread so that means that everyone should post ten (in no order) of their favourite artists/bands (or ten they want to see in the competition or ten anything basically). And the ones that get nominated the most will make it into the top league. So get to nominating!

Anyway my ten nominations are

The Smiths
Morrissey
Radiohead
The Dresden Dolls
U2
Arcade Fire
The Verve
Bob Dylan
Pink Floyd
R.E.M.

U2
Bruce Springsteen
David Bowie
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
The Who
R.E.M.
The Beatles
Radiohead
Arcade Fire

U2
The Who
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
+44
Foo Fighters
Sex Pistols
The Clash
Rolling Stones

Porcupine Tree
Pure Reason Revolution
Crowded House
Split Enz
U2
Pink Floyd
REM
The Verve
Joy Division
The Shadows

Not to be a jerk or to offend, but shouldn't this be in the games section of the forum as it really doesn't have anything to do with music in and of itself?

Not to be a jerk or to offend, but shouldn't this be in the games section of the forum as it really doesn't have anything to do with music in and of itself?

Why? There's plenty of music competitions that go on in B&C. This is like a band survivor.

I think there will be plenty to do with music involved in it; the Discussion thread will probably involve a lot of discussion about bands and maybe people will get into new bands through this as well. With Survivor competitions in here always and things like the Desert Island I think something like this has a place; and if you're not interested then just don't click on the thread.

So come on people we need more nominations

if anyone has any questions about the League don't be afraid to ask :)

U2
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
R.E.M.
Pearl Jam
Ramones
Pavement
Radiohead
Bruce Springsteen
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Why? There's plenty of music competitions that go on in B&C. This is like a band survivor.

Admittedly it may be because I don't involve myself in any of the game threads here, but with the survivor ones it seems like sticking to a specific album or artist at least spurs discussion among the people involved. With this, it just seems like listing random names and then voting. As this section of the forum is for music discussion (not games, there's a section of the forum completely dedicated to games already), it just seems to me like this (and many of the others honestly - again, I'm an offensive jerk) would fit a little better in the other section.

I could be misinterpreting the game completely though, and am completely wrong. Regardless, I understand both sides to the argument, but you have to admit that when a quarter of the threads people bump onto the page are all games that have about the same 6 people responding, it starts to feel like they might be better in the game section. Again, just my opinion on it. No offense to those who enjoy these threads, as you're all decent people in my book.

You're a jerk and I am totally offended. You're offensive. And a jerk. Fuck.

hoodie.jpg

Admittedly it may be because I don't involve myself in any of the game threads here, but with the survivor ones it seems like sticking to a specific album or artist at least spurs discussion among the people involved. With this, it just seems like listing random names and then voting. As this section of the forum is for music discussion (not games, there's a section of the forum completely dedicated to games already), it just seems to me like this (and many of the others honestly - again, I'm an offensive jerk) would fit a little better in the other section.

I could be misinterpreting the game completely though, and am completely wrong. Regardless, I understand both sides to the argument, but you have to admit that when a quarter of the threads people bump onto the page are all games that have about the same 6 people responding, it starts to feel like they might be better in the game section. Again, just my opinion on it. No offense to those who enjoy these threads, as you're all decent people in my book.

No offense taken, other than what NSW said. :)

It's just, even if you were right and it stuck out here somewhat, it would stick out even more in the game forum. All that's over there is chat threads and descriptions of what you're eating and wearing.

Bono_212's nominations

U2
Bruce
Peter Gabriel
The Killers
Tom Petty + co
Pink floyd
R.e.m.
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
David Bowie

Philly, I want a description of what you're listening to right now. A complete description.

Philly, I want a description of what you're listening to right now. A complete description.

The hum of a computer. The buzz of a fan. The strings of my guitar ringing out. The dull, distant sounds of footsteps downstairs. An explosion. Me scratching an itch on my arm.

LMAO Beav!

This is not necessarily my Top 10 but these are the artists/bands I'm trying to help get nominated...

REM
Pearl Jam
Tori Amos
Porcupine Tree
Depeche Mode
Keane
George Michael
Madonna
Oasis
Tom Petty

Status
Not open for further replies.