Joy Division vs. New Order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Well?

• Joy Division

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • New Order

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
Gabriel, your first post was really great and I have to agree with everything you've said. There's a great video for The Perfect Kiss (which you may have seen) that is basically a live performance in the studio. What's cool is that you can see what's actually being played by the band members, and really dispels any illusions one might have about them being a dance/electronic act.

As far as the band getting older, the last two albums have a little filler, but the great tracks are much better than one would expect. These guys were able to pick up right where they left off, sound exactly like themselves, and yet not come off as dated or retro. That's probably because they were usually ahead of their time to begin with.

As for your comment about The Smiths--I'm a huge fan and they have a great number of singles as well. I just find that the NO albums are a bit more consistent whereas all The Smiths albums have a couple really boring or uninteresting tracks. And I'm a huge fan of solo Moz as well. Personally, I think Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I can stand alongside any of The Smiths albums. He's had some pretty talented guys playing with him over the years, and there's one lineup that lasted longer than The Smiths did.

I always felt NO, The Cure, and DM were part of this trinity of British bands, The Cure being the most organic, and DM the most electronic, with New Order straddling the line. Probably why I've always liked them the best, because of their two-front attack. The Cure and DM were a bit more productive over the years, but they've also had many misfires as well, and haven't aged as gracefully. I don't think the recent output of either comes anywhere near the level of quality of their heyday as well as NO was able to do with Get Ready and Sirens, and perhaps that's because they took so much time off and were able to come at it fresh again.

In the end, each band has a few albums that are all classics, each brought their own thing to modern rock, and each went through a distinct growth and evolution process over the years. And they're all better than Joy Division :wink:

i love both joy division and new order. it's hard for me to say which band i like better. i think i'll go with new order only because they simply have more music.

movement, pcl, substance (yes, even though it is a compilation album), technique, waiting for the sirens' call...these are all killer albums.

Joy Division, because I have a greater appreciation for them.

Calling Joy Division a "one-trick pony" is about the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Boy, they evolved quickly. I think they would have been all over the sound scape by the end of the 80's had Curtis decided to think rationally. I don't dislike New Order, not at all - but I've found them more trying to get into than Joy Division. In modern popular music, I think there have been few things as beautifully draining as the last three tracks of Closer.

That's my opinion.

edit: That Rolling Stone list sucks.

Anyone and everyone who is a fan of Joy Division/New Order has to go see the movie Control. Amazing film directed by Anton Corbijn...

Oh, and I voted for Joy Division...

Back
Top Bottom