Joy Division

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
jd_paris79_street1.jpg

Discuss, appreciate, worship. Give your alms here at the alter of awesomeness.

"Love Will Tear Us Apart" could be the greatest love song of all time.

I saw a Joy Division tribute band as an opening act in a Kansas City bar last year. The band members were crammed on a tiny stage with the equipment of two other bands piled up around them. No one seemed to be quite sure why they were there, because they weren't with the other two bands playing that night. It was very odd, but they did sound like JD.

Well, that wasn't really about Joy Division, was it? But it did show that there are still people who revere them.

beli said:
I :heart: Joy Division. I really need some non vinyl versions of their albums though. Its been so long since I listened to them. :sad:

Beli, there is no way you can reduce the Closer cover to a CD size - it's sacrilege! :no:

I remember hanging out A LOT at a city record store in my mis-spent youth (you know the dirty carpet, basement type of store a la High Fidelity, which they got rid of with the invention of Sanity :mad: ) They had this HUUUUGGGE poster of Closer taking up half the wall, so you would listen to records while looking at a funeral scene.

God I miss that. :(

i USED to have a huuuuuuge poster of the cover of love will tear us apart. he wanted to take it with him when we split so... :tsk: :mad: :rant:

if i could ever find a poster of either closer or love will tear us apart again on ebay (where i would actually win the auction, i should add), i'm so buying it.

blueeyedgirl said:
Bloody exes. I've lost all the REM stuff.....:yell: :angry:
:hug:

beli said:
Where do you think my stereo went? :mad:
:hug:

he also took all the joy division/new order stuff with him. thank god for computers now, i was able to put all the stuff he was taking that i wanted on my computer. so slowly but surely i'm trying to buy all this shit for myself. :crack:

blueeyedgirl said:
We all need to go down the pub (well, if we weren't scattered all over the world, that is :lol:

Why can't we teleport yet? :mad:

Where are the flying cars? :mad:

They were due well before 2001. Do we have to wait until Sealab 2020? :grumpy:

KhanadaRhodes said:

i'm working on it :drool:

any single australian boys in the house? :flirt: :laugh:
Yes...but........
I'm not......
How can i....
Well.......
Let me quote Jack White. "I'm lonely, (but i aint that lonely yet)

Incidentaly i used to sing "Transmission" in my first band after i left high school.
And yes "LOve will tear us apart" is........magnificent

Palace_Hero said:
New Order however are better in every way.

:shocked: No way. New Order are (well, were at one time) a decent band with some good songs, but they just don't compare to Joy Division. IMO the best thing about New Order was that they actually had the guts to form a 'new' band instead of attempting to carry on as Joy Division.

Palace_Hero said:
Great band with some great songs and alot of crap. But the essense was great and despite haveing such a small number of truely awesome songs they are up there due to the quality.

New Order however are better in every way.

Yeah, I think I disagree with every word you said here.

Anyways, am I the only person around who doesnt really even consider them "goth" in any way shape or form? Certainly there's a darker atmosphere (hehe, 'Atmosphere') to their songs than a lot of bands, but they're still far more of a post-punk band than anything.

Also, where's the love for the 'Unknown Pleasures' album cover? So simple, so cool. I much prefer it to the 'Closer' cover personally.

u2popmofo said:
Anyways, am I the only person around who doesnt really even consider them "goth" in any way shape or form? Certainly there's a darker atmosphere (hehe, 'Atmosphere') to their songs than a lot of bands, but they're still far more of a post-punk band than anything.

:up:

u2popmofo said:

I've gotta say that's never been a word that's popped into my mind, either. The only words that come to mind whenever I hear their stuff are "dark" and "sad".

Also, regarding New Order, they're all right, but I personally like Joy Division's music more.

Angela

I do think Joy Division have become too trendy and you get people who love them to try and look musically smart.. it cheapens the music.

..but I'm sure there's none of that here.

I definately don't get how people can like so much of their music. LWTUA, Digital, 24 Hours, Transmission, She's Lost Control, Atmosphere, Ceremony... all great songs but beyond that I'm pushed to think of any. The rest seem a bit too miserable, a bit too poorly produced and just average.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom