Johnny Cash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyedgirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
One of the most individual artists I've ever heard and seen.

His version of "Hurt" is a genuine masterpiece. That such a song was sung by a man who was terminally ill took such guts that will never be seen by this generation of "pop stars".

5 stars!!!

Hurt IS fantastic...as is the cover of One.

As for his OWN material tho, sadly only 3 or 4 songs could I say I REALLY liked. My father is a massive fan however, and I can respect the talent that he had too...:up:

Hurt is the greatest cover ever.

My dad told me a story about him in the 60's, when he was in the Gander airport in Newfoundland (where we're from) and started a big ol' bar fight right in the airport bar! :)

He was a hard case!

J.C. is a fuckin' legend.
one of the greatest.
his version of HURT is phenomenal...all his 4 American Recordings are awesome.
big thanks to Johnny and big thanks to Rick the RUBIN
:applaud::bow::up:

I wonder how many people wouldnt even know who he is if it wasnt for the NIN cover. That's pretty sad.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002425842

"Like the 309," the last song written by Johnny Cash before his death, will be included on "American V: A Hundred Highways." Due July 4 via American Recordings/Lost Highway, the album was recorded with producer Rick Rubin in the months leading up to Cash's September 2003 passing.

"These songs are Johnny's final statement," Rubin says. "They are the truest reflection of the music that was central to his life at the time. This is the music that Johnny wanted us to hear."

A song utilizing one of Cash's favorite subjects, trains, "Like the 309" is one of two original songs on the disc. The other, "I Came to Believe," was written and recorded earlier in his career about addiction and salvation through a higher power.

the Billboard article also refers to Further On Up The Road, I hope that is a Johnny Cash version

http://usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/2006-05-01-cash_x.htm?POE=click-refer

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:

:up: can't say much more than that.

as far as hurt goes, i still prefer the original. but you're an idiot to deny the excellence of his cover.

highway patrolman was indeed badass, though. i did not feel the same about johnny 99, though. and i like to forget i'm on fire exists as a song, let alone anyone else recorded it.

that movie sucked.

edit: didn't realize it until i scrolled up and saw mofo's post. this thread is fucking old! :| and i already said my initial post :lol: can you say predictable?

u2popmofo said:
I wonder how many people wouldnt even know who he is if it wasnt for the NIN cover. That's pretty sad.

Is that so bad?.....I think I only knew Ring of Fire...in fact I knew Ring of Fire but i'm pretty sure I didn't have a clue who did it.....what gave me an interest in Johnny Cash was The Wanderer when I got Zooropa.

People are not born with inherent knowledge of good music, or the will to seek out every artist or piece of music, they need something to provide motivation for them to do so....Bang and Clatter provides a lot of my motivation to provide music, because it is like a giant database of a lot of pretty great music in the index...in fact I go through the index checking out the bands, and I've got into a lot of good stuff because of it....

...but still what would be the big deal if someone who didn't know who Johnny Cash was before Hurt then got into him because of it? It is sad that people probably didn't know who he was, it would be better to blame radio....

sorry didn't mean to rant:reject:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i used to have an mp3 of springsteen covering "give my love to rose"

don't know where in the hell it is now though :sad:

twas wonderful

It's on a CD called "Kindred Spirits: A Tribute to the Songs of Johnny Cash." Some of the other covers on there are pretty good, too. I particularly like Keb Mo's version of Folsom Prison Blues.

One of my favorite memories from 2 summers ago was my boyfriend and I trying to sing along to "I've Been Everywhere" in the car.
:huh: As you can imagine it didn't go that well, but we found it amusing and hilarious to try and keep up with Cash.

Back
Top Bottom