John Stewart has become a giant douche. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 AM
John Stewart has become a giant douche.

Seriously, every time I see a newer episode of the Daily Show I'm turned more off of this guy.

He's pretty much been delivering the same monologue and lame "ZOMG, Republicans are liars! Lulz!" jokes and features as he's been doing for the past couple years. It's getting really tiring.

It's not that I disagree with him, but every show basically boils down to the same lame ignorant interview and montage of goverment officials or journalists saying awkward things, where all he has to do is put on a goofy sarcastic look at the end cue the "Applause" sign for the live audience.

Honestly, can the man not come up with an original joke anymore? I swear he's become so stuck up and infatuated with his growing seat of liberal media respect, all he thinks he has to do anymore is passive agressively attack anyone he brings on the show. And it's starting to seem like he purposefully brings on Republicans or members of Bush's PR team or whatever solely to ask them shit like "You're going to say the war's going well/Bush is a good leader aren't you?" Then they'll say "Yes." because it's their job, and John will berate them with the same lame sarcastic bit he's perfected during the past several years.

Whether it's pure schtick or not, he's still turning into a complete douche. And an unfunny douche at that.

John Stewart = phail.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 AM

Old 11-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Let me guess? You think he's hilarious?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't think he's the funniest thing out there or whatever but I think he's funnier than Leno, Letterman, O'Brien and SNL on most nights

You’re right saying it’s the same shtick every night though and I think the show has really suffered with the loss of most of the regular correspondents…
Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

John Oliver probably delivers the best comedic moments in the show theses days.

John has taken on an attitude of self-importance which really bothers me though, despite the self-depricating schtick that's a part of every interview he gives as well.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

John Stewart's writers are still as good as ever, and he's doing a shit, hamfisted job with good material these days.

Steven Colbert is just irritating.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Let me guess? You think he's hilarious?
Good guess.

I think we're all just getting sick of reruns, thanks to this writer's strike. Once he's back with new material I bet he won't seem so bad.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

and oh btw... it's Jon Stewart not John...

Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:42 AM
You seriously have some of the strangest taste...

But hey that's what it's all about...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:42 AM
I can see where Lance is coming from. I think the show has become slightly overrated, and Stewart has become a bit too cutesy.

Colbert's inability to drop the act is wearing a bit thin for me, but he gets a free pass for life solely because of that Press Club speech standing right next to Bush and co.

How about this bold stance: The U.S. version of The Office is wildly overrated crap. The only actor better than their British counterpart is Jenna Fischer. I still don't understand how anyone who loved the BBC version can even watch this without choking on their own vomit.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

The US Office is pretty lame.

I think the biggest problem with the Daily Show these days is how it's basically devolved into little more than a overly sarcastic political forum, where it used to be a satirical news program. It's also become to blatantly, even obnoxiously liberal, that even on issues where I stand liberally, it's still more annoying than entertaining.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Just so you know, The Daily Show is in reruns due to the writer's strike. If this week's shows sound like same ol' same ol', it's because they are literally the same old shows from earlier this year.

edited to add: sorry, I just saw that DaveC already pointed this out. And I really did scan the thread first, I promise. But I missed it. I guess I'm same ol', too.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Umm, this is hardly something I've felt just during the last couple weeks.

This show's been pretty much running on fumes for well over a year it seems, and I first started to notice its decline both after the 2004 presidential election and after Colbert left.

I'm actually really curious to see what will happen if Jon gets his wish, and the Democrats win the White House. What on earth are they going to talk about then? Maybe they'll just cancel the show and give Colbert a full hour block.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

I'm actually really curious to see what will happen if Jon gets his wish,
If?! Surely you mean when.

I know what you mean, though...he had such great material leading up the 2004 election and then it suddenly wasn't as funny. But I hardly ever remember to watch it these days so I really don't know. I was glad to catch a couple of reruns this week actually because I hadn't seen them. The one with John McCain was really good but I only saw that part of it, not the opening bit.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
How about this bold stance: The U.S. version of The Office is wildly overrated crap.
If this is all about unpopular modern comedy opinions now, how about this?: The UK version of the Office is shit, and Ricky Gervais is the unfunniest person outside of Australia.

Also, I always found the Daily Show kind of trying to watch. Stewart corpses at his own jokes way, way too often. It's completely off putting.