John Stewart has become a giant douche.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Seriously, every time I see a newer episode of the Daily Show I'm turned more off of this guy.

He's pretty much been delivering the same monologue and lame "ZOMG, Republicans are liars! Lulz!" jokes and features as he's been doing for the past couple years. It's getting really tiring.

It's not that I disagree with him, but every show basically boils down to the same lame ignorant interview and montage of goverment officials or journalists saying awkward things, where all he has to do is put on a goofy sarcastic look at the end cue the "Applause" sign for the live audience.

Honestly, can the man not come up with an original joke anymore? I swear he's become so stuck up and infatuated with his growing seat of liberal media respect, all he thinks he has to do anymore is passive agressively attack anyone he brings on the show. And it's starting to seem like he purposefully brings on Republicans or members of Bush's PR team or whatever solely to ask them shit like "You're going to say the war's going well/Bush is a good leader aren't you?" Then they'll say "Yes." because it's their job, and John will berate them with the same lame sarcastic bit he's perfected during the past several years.

Whether it's pure schtick or not, he's still turning into a complete douche. And an unfunny douche at that.

John Stewart = phail.

ThreadSucks.jpg

I don't think he's the funniest thing out there or whatever but I think he's funnier than Leno, Letterman, O'Brien and SNL on most nights :shrug:

You’re right saying it’s the same shtick every night though and I think the show has really suffered with the loss of most of the regular correspondents…

John Oliver probably delivers the best comedic moments in the show theses days.

John has taken on an attitude of self-importance which really bothers me though, despite the self-depricating schtick that's a part of every interview he gives as well.

John Stewart's writers are still as good as ever, and he's doing a shit, hamfisted job with good material these days.

Steven Colbert is just irritating.

Lancemc said:
Let me guess? You think he's hilarious?

Good guess.

I think we're all just getting sick of reruns, thanks to this writer's strike. Once he's back with new material I bet he won't seem so bad.

I can see where Lance is coming from. I think the show has become slightly overrated, and Stewart has become a bit too cutesy.

Colbert's inability to drop the act is wearing a bit thin for me, but he gets a free pass for life solely because of that Press Club speech standing right next to Bush and co.

How about this bold stance: The U.S. version of The Office is wildly overrated crap. The only actor better than their British counterpart is Jenna Fischer. I still don't understand how anyone who loved the BBC version can even watch this without choking on their own vomit.

The US Office is pretty lame.

I think the biggest problem with the Daily Show these days is how it's basically devolved into little more than a overly sarcastic political forum, where it used to be a satirical news program. It's also become to blatantly, even obnoxiously liberal, that even on issues where I stand liberally, it's still more annoying than entertaining.

Just so you know, The Daily Show is in reruns due to the writer's strike. If this week's shows sound like same ol' same ol', it's because they are literally the same old shows from earlier this year.

edited to add: sorry, I just saw that DaveC already pointed this out. And I really did scan the thread first, I promise. But I missed it. I guess I'm same ol', too.

Last edited:
Umm, this is hardly something I've felt just during the last couple weeks.

This show's been pretty much running on fumes for well over a year it seems, and I first started to notice its decline both after the 2004 presidential election and after Colbert left.

I'm actually really curious to see what will happen if Jon gets his wish, and the Democrats win the White House. What on earth are they going to talk about then? Maybe they'll just cancel the show and give Colbert a full hour block.

Lancemc said:

I'm actually really curious to see what will happen if Jon gets his wish,

If?! Surely you mean when. :wink:

I know what you mean, though...he had such great material leading up the 2004 election and then it suddenly wasn't as funny. But I hardly ever remember to watch it these days so I really don't know. I was glad to catch a couple of reruns this week actually because I hadn't seen them. The one with John McCain was really good but I only saw that part of it, not the opening bit.

How about this bold stance: The U.S. version of The Office is wildly overrated crap.

If this is all about unpopular modern comedy opinions now, how about this?: The UK version of the Office is shit, and Ricky Gervais is the unfunniest person outside of Australia.

Also, I always found the Daily Show kind of trying to watch. Stewart corpses at his own jokes way, way too often. It's completely off putting.

By the way, I've decided to start spelling his name Gyawn Shtoowert.

I think we can all agree it's better.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I don't think he's the funniest thing out there or whatever but I think he's funnier than Leno, Letterman, O'Brien and SNL on most nights :shrug:

You make that sound like an amazing feat of comedic genius.

I do agree that it's not as "fun" as it used to be. The main thing I find annoying about these shows is that the hosts generally have a pretty crap understanding of politics in general, though it's usually half a step above their average viewer's understanding so I guess it's ok. That in and of itself would be fine, but the whole schtick of tearing apart people on the show who do actually have experience and education in the subject is infuriating. Yes, sometimes they make some good points by saying things that real journalists wouldn't have the guts to say, but usually they just look like complete pricks to me. I guess when I become famous I can be smarter than everyone else too. Teach me thy ways, Stewart, Cruise, and O'Donnell.

This show used to be the balls, night in and night out.
The correspondent pieces were always great, 'This Week In God' with Colbert was genius, with Samantha Bee it's lame. Writer or personality problem?

I think it's likely the writing staff has been gutted as much as the on-air talent has been. Most of all, U2Dem nailed it. Stewart has become smug and he seems to expect a reaction rather than try and stimulate one. How many times a show does he just place his hands under his chin and make a silly noise? Stupid.

Then again, I think getting too know the stupidity of the Bush admin was fun for a while, now it has become as tired as the Lewinsky jokes the show did before Bush took office.

Stewart was on the air for about two years before Bush took office, railing on the Clintons and everyone else of all stripes, he's an admitted liberal but he'll take the comedy anyway he can get it. I doubt a Dem election in 2008 would hurt the show anymore than losing funny people has.

The show is just not as funny anymore, period.

the opening is still funny, and if there's a good guest on i'll stick around... but the rest of the show has gotten old for me. not that it's not still funny at times... no one can be on every night. that's just a fact of comedy.

i don't find colbert funny anymore, but to each his/her own.

but i think we can all agree that people who walk around wearing "Stewart/Colbert 08" t-shirts, and those who think that they are the end all to political humor and can do no wrong whatsoever are all lame douchebags who probably own the Friends box set and think Dane Cook is funny.

Well the problem is our politicians definately give them plenty of material, but it's the same material over and over, the issues are stagnant. It's not enough for everynight...

"has become"?

I always thought he was a giant douche. Jon Stewert = Dane Cook of talk show hosting, overrated, predictable, and not funny.

Back
Top Bottom