John or Paul?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dunno ... I'd much rather hear "Band on the Run" or "Jet" on the radio than "Imagine."

*cough*imagineishugelyoverrated*cough*

dudeman said:

all that being said, the best post beatles album goes to george - 'all things must pass':drool: . check out that title track and 'my sweet lord' and 'awaiting on the wall'. holy shit!

:up: Agreed - what a classic.

The incredible thing is, all members had successful solo careers - you can't say that about any other band out there. They all had at least TWO #1 hits - that's quite extraordinary, really.

And each Beatle had one bona fide classic album:

John - Plastic Ono Band
Paul - Band On The Run
George - All Things Must Pass
Ringo - Ringo

That's just truly amazing...

gherman said:

You bring up somthing that has slowly become very aparent to me over the past year listening to the Beatles... Pauls voice. I can't get over how diverse and incredible it is. When I first heard him sing Kansas City I was hooked.
So true!

Listen to the first few seconds of I've Got a Feeling or Hey Jude. It takes Paul 2 notes to take you into a song.

Can't do it. Impossible task. Both are completely different in special and amazing ways.

I can enjoy Tomorrow Never Knows as much as I can enjoy Martha My Dear, enough said.

Anyway, I prefer Ringo. Don't Pass Me By:drool: :drool: :drool:

John

I have seen Paul in concert a couple of times a few years back, and it was surprisingly good. At least 2 1/2 hours for each show, and he was completly into it. It wasn't just an "old" jukebox. His love for John and George was clear as well in his tributes to them.

John seemed to me to be a sensitive, sort of tortured soul-and I just prefer that. That quality shows in his songs, and I like that too.

While they were both geniuses, I definitely prefer Lennon. There was a bite and edge to him that McCartney has never come close to. Don't get me wrong...I respect the guy. It's just that McCartney's songs are like anthems you shout out in the shower, as opposed to something that kicks you in the gut and changes your world.

It's personal preference, ultimately. I guess I just see Lennon as a natural bridge to a lot of the quirky/contemporary stuff I love.

And, yes, Harrison is severely underrated :up:

corianderstem said:
I dunno ... I'd much rather hear "Band on the Run" or "Jet" on the radio than "Imagine."

*cough*imagineishugelyoverrated*cough*

:up: Instant Karma's better than Imagine anyways.

Paul's a better songwriter, composer and lyricist IMO, but as it was mentioned before, John had that edge. Which is why they were the greatest songwriting duo of the 20th century, they filled in each other's blanks, something I loved. Of course George and Ringo were amazing in their own right, but John and Paul are my favories.

I prefer jealous guy to Imagine - it's so beautiful :love:

Oh happy birthday Paul - when you're 64!!! :whistle: :giggle:

John's career blow away Paul's by miles :heart:

While Paul's career has always been poppy, catchy, light weighted and FM oriented :yawn: John's has been far more intellectual, more organic, more real, more natural, more interesting, etc, etc

From Plastic Ono Band to Double Fantasy his career is plagued by terrific music, some of the finest songwriting I've ever had the pleasure to listen to, etc.

John was an ARTIST; while Paul was rather a bussinessman. Just the song God alone blow away all Paul's efforts

I also agree George's All Thing Must Pass is a quintessential album, not only for My Sweet Lord and What Is Life, but Isn't It A Pity, I'd Have Anytime, Run Of The Mill, I Live For You, Beware Of Darkness, Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp, Hear Me Lord, etc, etc :drool: possibly my favorite Double album (triple at that time ;) ) from all time :heart:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Paul's a better songwriter, composer and lyricist IMO, but as it was mentioned before, John had that edge.

Because he was shot....

abbey.gif

Back
Top Bottom