John Mayer- Continuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sami0201

Blue Crack Addict
I didn't see any topics about this and I'd like to hear people's opinions! I really liked Waiting On the World to Change when I first heard it and I recently got the cd. I was pleasantly surprised, I really like it. I think it's a departure from his other stuff and it's really good. :up: More adult-ish or something. I think I'm gonna go see him in January when he comes here.

Well, I feel a little betrayed. He slipped the wishy-washy college girl-pleasin' sound so easily and forcefully with the John Mayer Trio record I'm kind of disappointed with some of the material on the new one.

I'll have to give it a few more listens.

I've saw John Mayer live when he toured Australia a year or so ago and he really is very talented and a good guitarist.

Not sure about this album though, but maybe I need to give it some more listens. It doesn't seem to have the strengths of a Wheel or Come Back to Bed, although he does a nice version of Hendrix's Bold As Love. Which probably proves I prefer him when he goes off into his guitar solo's.

Sibley said:
Which probably proves I prefer him when he goes off into his guitar solo's.

:up:

The one in Waiting On the World to Change is great. I don't know a lot of his stuff, but he seems very talented.

I know 'Waiting On The World To Change'. Heard him do it on Oprah last week, as well as Oprah using it as a song on the High School Challenge episode. Other than that :reject:

:up:
I'm really digging his new album.
I wasn't extremely attracted to his past work with the pop melodies and stuff (especially since they were so overplayed), but I loved the Try! album too... so I'm pretty pleased.

He's so talented too. Geez. There're some really catchy guitar licks here and there which is cool. (Oh, and it took me a few listens to really get into it to, so hopefully some of you guys will reconsider :) )

I thought it was funny how he thanked Eric Clapton for letting him "rip stuff off of him"...

I'm listening to it right now. I heard the preview on Star 98.7 a few weeks before the album came out and got this lovely butterfly feeling in my stomach that an album hasn't given me since HTDAAB.

And the album live is fantastic.

I'm a big fan of John Mayer, he's a very underated performer and guitarist. I've seen him live and i've got quite a few of his bootlegs, both his and the Trio ...... but try as I might, I can't get into this last album of his. I know its sposed to be his most mature recording, but it doesn't do much for me at all.

Maybe i'll eat my words in time, as I will persevere with listening to it. I hope so, because I do admire his work.

I do recommend trying one of his bootlegs though, it shows a different side to him. Plus listen to that link I gave on the last page (all the way through), its John Mayer at his awesome best.

I'm bumping because I finally got this album, and it's definitely his finest album to date.

His first 2 are cheesy, pop rock albums, but this is a seriously good blues rock album. The songwriting finally caught up to the guitar skills.

and a mighty fine guitarist he is to.

It's a shame he is more well known for his pop style songs than his talent with a guitar. If only he could get rid of those young teenage chickies that hang off him, he'd be more widely accepted as a serious artist.

I doubt he will ever live down 'Your Body is a Wonderland'.

I heard him introduce that song at one of his concerts and he said "this song has both enriched and destroyed my life"

It's going to take quite a great number of things to make me forget "Your Body Is a Wonderland" and that horrible "Daughters" song, but someone gave me a copy of this album, and I was really very pleasantly surprised.

John Mayer has a Dundie. I'm jealous.

blog12.14.2.jpg

Slow Dancing in a Burning Room is one of my guilty pleasures, I was also surprised at my own liking of Waitin For/On the World to Change.
Every Mayer song I've heard (except his Trio stuff) I don't like.. Daughters, Wonderland, and the "I wanna scream at the top of my lungs" one...I simply can't stand.
Yet every time I pass Continuum at Target or Borders I have a strong urge to buy it. Reading some of these posts has convinced me to pick it up.

Is the packaging/booklet any good so as to buy the actual cd or should I go with itunes??

I bought the album off iTunes, and it came with a digital booklet. No need to buy the actual cd.

I really love this CD. He's a fantastic guitarist. I'll be seeing him in concert in May. Should be great!

it's funny, with all the hate for wonderland, i don't get it. if he wants to get over his acoustic past, especially that song, he needs to stop playing it at every concert.

(btw in case you can't tell from my tone, i hate the song as well. and i cringed when i saw him last month and all the girls around me were slow dancing with each other screaming along to that song.)

I like "Your Body Is a Wonderland" quite a lot, I dig that it's actually pretty dirty but hidden in all this wide-eyed sweetness. I think "Daughters" is really beautiful as well. I'm basically on board with whatever John Mayer throws out there and so hope I can get tickets to see him at the Hollywood Bowl in June.

Glad to see positive posts about this guy's album, as he still seems to cop a fair amount of flak and at the very least cold-shouldering based on his earlier pop leanings. The awesome songwriting has undeniably always been there, as has the guitar playing during the live performances, so it's great that John Mayer had the courage to go for it with Try! (a live album, lots of new songs and a couple of covers) and Continuum, and show everyone what he's truly capable of.

Continuum is a very solid effort, not quite the follow-up to Try! that I was expecting as someone else has already pointed out. The 'weaker' tracks are still very good, and the best ones are amazing. Stop This Train and Vultures are my faves judging by the iTunes play count, in fact they probably already rank amongst the most often played in my collection.

I was a little disappointed not to hear some more thumping songs in the vein of.. well, most songs on Try!, but I'm pretty sure I'll get my fix of that stuff when I catch him live.

In summary, anyone thinking of buying Continuum should go for it, and for a more complete experience (especially for anyone who still refuses to take his music seriously) pick up Try! while you're at it. :)

Back
Top Bottom