John Lennon: October 9th, 1940 - December 8th, 1980

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
It is just striking midnight GMT, bringing in December 8, 2005 - marking the 25th annivesary of the day John Lennon was murdered. I wouldn't be born for another four years, but the effect of his violent death was so profound on people around the world that when I see clips on TV of people in the days following the murder - people crying, in shock, etc - I still feel like I was alive then. If that makes any sense.

Lennon's effect on popular music - nay - popular culture, with and without the Beatles, is almost beyond description. Read some of his most famous lyrics below, while hearing the music in your head, and join me in a moment of silence, now and between 10-11 tonight/tomorrow night(depending on where you are) in memory of one of the true legends in the history of popular culture.

And let's try to avoid speaking/typing the name of the lunatic that ended Lennon's life. He wanted to gain fame and notoriety by taking it from someone else - let's not give it to him.

"It’s been a hard day’s night/and I’ve been working like a dog/It’s been a hard day’s night/I should be sleeping like a log/but when I get home to you/I find the things that you do/Will make me feel alright"

"Anytime at all, Anytime at all, Anytime at all/All you’ve gotta do is call/And I’ll be there"

"You know/if you break my heart I’ll go/but I’ll be back again/‘Cos I/told you once before good-bye/but I came back again"

"Help me if you can I’m feeling down/And I do appreciate you being around/Help me get my feet back on the ground/Won’t you please please help me?"

"Ev’rywhere people stare/each and ev’ry day/I can see them laugh at me/and I hear them say/hey, you’ve got hide your love away"

"I think I’m gonna be sad/I think it’s today/the girl that’s driving me mad/is going away/she’s got a ticket to ride/she’s got a ticket to ri - hi - hide/she’s got a ticket to ride, but she don’t care"

"And when I awoke/I was alone/This bird has flown/So I lit a fire/Isn’t it good/Norwegian wood"

"Nowhere man please listen/You don't know what you're missing/Nowhere Man the world is at your command"

"She’s the kind of girl you want so much it makes you sorry/Still you don’t regret a single day/Ah girl, girl"

"There are places I remember all my life/though some have changed/Some forever, not for better/Some have gone and some remain/All these places had their moments/With lovers and friends I still can recall/Some are dead and some are living/In my life I’ve loved them all"

"Everybody seems to think I’m lazy/I don’t mind, I think they’re crazy/Running everywhere at such a speed/Till they find there’s no need (there’s no need)/Please don’t spoil my day, I’m miles away/And after all, I’m only sleeping"

"She said I know what it’s like to be dead/I know what it is to be sad/And she’s making me feel like I’ve never been born/I said who put all those things in your head/Things that make me feel that I’m mad/And you’re making me feel like I’ve never been born"

"You tell me that you’ve ev’rything you want/And your bird can sing/But you don’t get me/You don’t get me"

"Turn off your mind/relax and float down-stream/It is not dying, it is not dying/Lay down all thought/surrender to the void/It is shining, it is shining"

"Picture yourself in boat on a river/With tangerine trees and marmalde skies/Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly/A girl with kaleidoscope eyes/Cellophane flowers of yellow and green/Towering over your head/Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes/And she’s gone/Lucy in the sky with diamonds"

"I read the news today oh boy/About a lucky man who made the grade/And though the news was rather sad/Well I just had to laugh/I saw the photograph/He blew his mind out in a car/He didn’t notice that the lights had changed/A crowd of people stood and stared/They’d seen his face before/Nobody was really sure/If he was from the House of Lords"

"Dear Prudence/won’t you come out to play/Dear Prudence/greet the brand new day/The sun is up, the sky is blue/It’s beautiful and so are you"

"I need a fix ‘cause I’m going down/Down to the bits that I left uptown/I need a fix ‘cause I’m going down/Mother Superior jump the gun/Mother Superior jump the gun/Mother Superior jump the gun/Mother Superior jump the gun/Happiness is a warm gun"

"Half of what I say is meaningless/But I say it just to reach you/Julia"

"You say you got a real solution/Well, you know/We’d all love to see the plan/You ask me for a contribution/Well, you know/We’re doing what we can/but if you want money for people with minds that hate/All I can tell you is brother you have to wait"

"Semoline pilchards climbing up the Eiffel Tower/Elementary penguin singing Hare Khrishna/Man you should have seen the kick in Edgar Allen Poe/I am the eggman oh, they are they eggmen/Oh I am the walrus"

"Living is easy with eyes closed/Misunderstanding all you see/It’s getting hard to be someone/But it all works out/It doesn’t matter much to me/Let me take you down/‘Cos I’m going to Strawberry Fields/Nothing is real/And nothing to get hung about/Strawberry Fields forever"

"There’s nothing you can know that isn’t known/Nothing you can see that isn’t shown/Nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be/It’s easy/All you need is love"

"Here come old flattop he come grooving up slowly/He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller/He got hair down to his knee/Got to be a joker he just do what he please/He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football/He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola/He say "I know you, you know me"/One thing I can tell you is you got to be free/Come together/right now/over me"

"I want you/I want you so bad/I want you so bad it’s driving me mad/it's driving me mad/.../she's so heaaveeeyyy"

"Words are flying out/like endless rain into a paper cup/They slither while they pass/they slip away across the universe/Pools of sorrow waves of joy/are drifting through my open mind/Possessing and caressing me/Jai Guru De Va/Om/Nothing’s gonna change my world/Nothing’s gonna change my world"

"Ev’rybody had a hard year/Ev’rybody had a good time/Ev’rybody had a wet dream/Ev’rybody saw the sunshine"

"If the rain comes they run and hide their heads/They might as well be dead"

"Keep you doped with religon, sex and T.V/and you think you're so clever and classless and free/but you're still fucking peasents as far as I can see/Working Class Hero is something to be"

"Love is real, real is love/Love is feeling , feeling love/Love is wanting/to be loved"

"I don't believe in Hitler/I don't believe in Jesus/I don't believe in Kennedy/I don't believe in Buddha/I don't believe in Mantra/I don't believe in Gita/I don't believe in Yoga/I don't believe in Kings/I don't believe in Elvis/I don't believe in Zimmerman/I don't believe in Beatles/I just believe in me...and that reality"

"Mother, You had me/I never had you/I wanted you/but you didn't want me/So I got to tell you/Goodbye , Goodbye"

"Imagine there's no countries/It isn't hard to do/Nothing to kill or die for/And no religion too/Imagine all the people/Living life in peace.../You may say I'm a dreamer/But I'm not the only one/I hope someday you'll join us/And the world will be as one"

"I didn't mean to hurt you/I'm sorry that I made you cry/I didn't mean to hurt you/I'm just a jealous guy"

"oh my love/for the first time in my life/my mind is wide open/oh my lover/for the first time in my life/my mind can feel"

"Love is the answer and you know that for sure/Love is a flower you got to let it grow/So keep on playing those mind games together"

"So long ago/Was it in a dream, was it just a dream?/I know, yes I know/Seemed so very real, it seemed so real to me"

"But when I see you darling/It's like we both are falling in love again/It'll be just like starting over"

"Before you cross the street take my hand/Life is just what happens to you/While your busy making other plans/Beautiful, Beautiful, beautiful, Beautiful Boy"

"I'm just sitting here/watching the wheels go round and round/I really love to watch them roll/No longer riding on the merry-go-round/I just had to let it go"

"Well we all shine on/Like the moon and the stars and the sun/Yeah we all shine on/Come on and on and on on on"

"Living on borrowed time/Without a thought for tomorrow/Living on borrowed time/Without a thought for tomorrow"

"And so this is Xmas (war is over)
For weak and for strong (if you want it)
For rich and the poor ones (war is over)
The world is so wrong (if you want it)
And so happy Xmas (war is over)
For black and for white (if you want it)
For yellow and red ones (war is over)
Let's stop all the fight (now)"

"Ev'rybody's talking about Ministers/Sinisters, Banisters and canisters/Bishops and Fishops and Rabbis and Pop eyes/And bye bye, bye byes/All we are saying is give peace a chance"

JOHN LENNON: OCTOBER 9th, 1940 - DECEMBER 8th, 1980

R.I.P.
johnL.gif
[

Last edited:
If you want to be a hero well just follow me

0816-John-Lennon-PeaceJohn-Lennon-P.jpg

:heart: John :heart:

According to Jack Douglas, who produced John's last album, one of the plans after his first ever tour which was planned for 1981 was to reform the Beatles-Damn, what could have been!

Beatles 'were to come together again'

IT WOULD have been the sensational return of the Fab Four. But the bullet that killed John Lennon 25 years ago today destroyed plans for a Beatles reunion, according to new claims.
Lennon was making secret plans to record an album with the other former Beatles when he was killed, Jack Douglas, the producer who was working with him until minutes before his death, told The Times.

He said in an interview in New York: “He and Paul planned to play on a Ringo album and that’s how they were planning to do it, and George had not come aboard yet.”
The sticking point, however, was with Harrison. “George was already in a lot of hot water with John because of George releasing his autobiography and not really mentioning much of John in it,” Mr Douglas said. “But I think they assumed that George would come along as soon as the thing got going.”

Mr Douglas, who won a Grammy award in 1982 for producing Lennon’s Double Fantasy album, said that Lennon had already begun sending him material “earmarked verbally” on tape for the planned Ringo album. But he said that Yoko Ono was unhappy about the proposed reunion.

“Yoko discouraged Paul coming around,” Mr Douglas said. “There was a writing session somewhere in the Dakota [the apartment block where Lennon and Ono lived] and there was one cancelled which John did not know about, cancelled by a third party,” he said. “He was waiting for Paul to show up. He was told that Paul did not show. Paul was told that John was too busy.”

The revelations were given credence by a new claim that a £6 million record contract, which McCartney signed with CBS in 1978, contained a clause that allowed him to record with the Beatles at any time.

But Beatles experts said they were unaware of any Lennon reunion plans. Ray Connolly, author of The Beatles Complete, said: “John liked to help Ringo and this could have been a way he saw to get the guys back together in the studio.

“But George and Yoko had rows and she would probably have tried to stop a reunion.”

Eliot Mintz, Ono’s longtime spokesman, confirmed last night that Lennon and Ono had planned to go on a limited tour with Double Fantasy, but added that he knew knothing about the ex-Beatles playing together again.

Mr Douglas, now 60, said that Lennon spent his final day finishing off a track featuring Yoko called Walking on Thin Ice. After weeks of work, they finally finished the mix at the Hit Factory studio and agreed to meet at 9am the next day to make a master tape.

“We were all thrilled with it. His [Lennon’s] feeling was that this was the one that was going to take Yoko over the top and make her critically acclaimed, and cut him loose so that he could do his things with ‘the boys’ without Yoko tagging along. She could do her own thing,” Mr Douglas claimed.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1915287,00.html

Last edited:
I'll be making a point to slip up to Strawberry Fields at some point tomorrow between classes.

RIP, John.

namkcuR said:

"Everybody seems to think I’m lazy/I don’t mind, I think they’re crazy/Running everywhere at such a speed/Till they find there’s no need (there’s no need)/Please don’t spoil my day, I’m miles away/And after all, I’m only sleeping"

"She said I know what it’s like to be dead/I know what it is to be sad/And she’s making me feel like I’ve never been born/I said who put all those things in your head/Things that make me feel that I’m mad/And you’re making me feel like I’ve never been born"

"Semoline pilchards climbing up the Eiffel Tower/Elementary penguin singing Hare Khrishna/Man you should have seen the kick in Edgar Allen Poe/I am the eggman oh, they are they eggmen/Oh I am the walrus"

"Living is easy with eyes closed/Misunderstanding all you see/It’s getting hard to be someone/But it all works out/It doesn’t matter much to me/Let me take you down/‘Cos I’m going to Strawberry Fields/Nothing is real/And nothing to get hung about/Strawberry Fields forever"

"Words are flying out/like endless rain into a paper cup/They slither while they pass/they slip away across the universe/Pools of sorrow waves of joy/are drifting through my open mind/Possessing and caressing me/Jai Guru De Va/Om/Nothing’s gonna change my world/Nothing’s gonna change my world"

:drool: :heart:

John Lennon R.I.P.

namkcuR said:

"There are places I remember all my life/though some have changed/Some forever, not for better/Some have gone and some remain/All these places had their moments/With lovers and friends I still can recall/Some are dead and some are living/In my life I’ve loved them all"

"Dear Prudence/won’t you come out to play/Dear Prudence/greet the brand new day/The sun is up, the sky is blue/It’s beautiful and so are you"

"There’s nothing you can know that isn’t known/Nothing you can see that isn’t shown/Nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be/It’s easy/All you need is love"

"Imagine there's no countries/It isn't hard to do/Nothing to kill or die for/And no religion too/Imagine all the people/Living life in peace.../You may say I'm a dreamer/But I'm not the only one/I hope someday you'll join us/And the world will be as one"

"Well we all shine on/Like the moon and the stars and the sun/Yeah we all shine on/Come on and on and on on on"

Just had to pick a few of my favorites from the list...

John_Lennon_Snapshot.jpg

R.I.P. :sad:

Last edited:
I think it's probably better that I wasn't born yet when Lennon was shot. I would have been a mess. I get depressed enough as it is just thinking about what happened that day.

"I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car, and into another"

OH, MY LOVE, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE,
MY EYES ARE WIDE OPEN.
OH, MY LOVER, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE,
MY EYES CAN SEE.

I SEE THE WIND, OH, I SEE THE TREES,
EV'RYTHING IS CLEAR IN MY HEART.
I SEE THE CLOUDS, OH, I SEE THE SKY,
EV'RYTHING IS CLEAR IN OUR WORLD.

MY MIND IS WIDE OPEN.
MY MIND CAN FEEL.

I FEEL SORROW, OH, I FEEL DREAMS,
EV'RYTHING IS CLEAR IN MY HEART.
I FEEL LIFE, OH, I FEEL LOVE,
EV'RYTHING IS CLEAR IN OUR WORLD.
------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, John Lennon, for giving me an example of a life of searching for meaning - and then finding it.

And doing it all on your own terms. :up:

John Lennon - :hug:

thanks for living john...you'll always shine on...in the moon, stars, and the sun

there a quote from Bono saying how he sent their demo to John Lennon. "He invented U2"...i just saw it on CNN...

RIP

Back
Top Bottom