John Butler Trio appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I am so delighted with what this fine young man and his band have achieved. IT CAN BE DONE!!!:up:
I feel fortunate to have seen him perform quite some time ago in a very small venue ( those days are over). I was standing right in front of the stage, right in front of John and was mesmerised by his playing. He had a great drummer and bass player with him that night too, very tight and funky.
I have only ever heard him speak from the heart, he is a brave soul. I have the debut concert of his new album on tape. I'll transpose later, some of the things he said.

"....SUNRISE OVER SEA - NUMBER 1 ALBUM IN AUSTRALIA
The John Butler Trio?s new album ?Sunrise Over Sea? has today debuted at #1 on the national ARIA albums chart, not since You Am I's ?Hourly Daily? has an Independent band had a #1 debut, and never before has a band on its own label done so. It?s the first time an independently produced and distributed Australian artist has accomplished such a feat.
The number one debut for The John Butler Trio confirms the ability of an independent artist to attain and equal the success of a major label artist. This is the first #1 debut for Jarrah Records, the independent label started and owned by John Butler and The Waifs.
Currently touring the USA with a performance scheduled at the South By South West convention, John Butler commented,

?To all who come to our gigs and have bought our albums, you are part of this dream. And this number one is all of ours to celebrate. It couldn't have happened without the great relationship between band and audience. As an independent musician this achievement is even more of a surprise and immense honour. I never dreamt, starting out as a busker eight years ago, that this could be possible.?

The John Butler Trio will soon announce a national tour of Australia to take place in all major capital cities in June and July this year.

?Sunrise Over Sea? is the album that should establish Butler as one of this country?s most substantial talents ? not one of our most promising acts, or the biggest independent seller in the country, but one of our most important recording artists, no further qualification necessary.? - AUSTRALIAN GUITAR MAGAZINE, MARCH 2004 ...."

http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/

Yes, very good news for Aussie music and for independant Aussie music, I quite like JBT, although I personally like Xavier Rudd a lot more, but what I do like heaps is how there is so much 'Roots' music about at the moment. I have grown up on a heavy dose of blues music, so I really like how these days there is a very strong stream of new artists making music that is inspired by the blues people like Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, JBT and Xavier Rudd. I saw JBT a couple of times over the festive season at the Woodford Folk Festival and I was lucky enough to see him very close as I was hanging out backstage of the Blues Stage, as that is where I volunteer each year at the festival, anyway it was very nice to see hanging out with his band and family, he has a little toddler who made an impromtu crawl on stage, whilst his dad was playing a solo song on the stage, it was very cute and the full to capacity crowd loved it too. The man is very nice and I love a lyric that talks about issues of importance and damn, just how catchy is that new song of his Zebra?????, grrrrrrreat stuff:wink:

Good on you for volunteering Aurora, sounds like fun. I went to buy the new JBT Cd yesterday and it was sold out:applaud:

His new song Peaches and Cream is dedicated to his wife and daughter. I love listening to the recent CD launch. It was held at Luna Park and you could hear the roller coaster whooshing past in the background. He said something nice about women when he introduced "Betterman" . It made me think of Ali and Bono.

Betterman I am since I
Come into contact with you
And you taught so many things about myself
and you know this is true......
.....Cos you are the best woman
This old man has ever met
You taught me about my soul
you shared with me your magic....

Cause you are

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL WOMAN?
BETTER MAN I AM COS OF YOU

John Butler Trio and a lot of other Aussie bands are in Texas USA at the moment, attending the South By Southwest conference. I wish them all well. Powderfinger are there too and I heard Bernard Fanning say on the radio yesterday...." I hope they like our music and it's not about our underpants .."...Bernard:hug:

Back
Top Bottom