Joe Strummer - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 12-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 09:51 PM
Joe Strummer

3 years ago tomorrow (or today, depending on your time zone).

Old 12-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Local Time: 06:51 PM
Indeed. you are missed Joe.

funny thing is i didn't exactly know or remember (or even think about) that it is the anniversary of his death but for some reason i was compelled to pick up this book today and read a bit of it cause i haven't read it for a while now.

the book was "the punk rock politics of Joe Strummer" so odd but i swear i just put it down a minute ago only to be reminded of this. i know you probably don't believe me (or think i am exagerating) but it happened and it's so weird that i will have it on my mind for a while.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
Local Time: 01:51 AM
I had the great pleasure to meet Joe in July 2001 at an instore performance and signing at Tower Records in West Hollywood, CA. I go to a lot of instores and this one was just fantastic. Joe and the Mescaleros played for about 50-55 minutes, then met fans.

Normally at instores, the artists sit behind a table and you are rushed through. At this one, Joe showed the fans just how friendly and appreciative he was. As you walked back into the store for the signing portion of the event, Joe was standing up the whole time, personally greeted and shook your hand, asked your name and signed everything that you had brought whether it was solo or The Clash and posed for a photo if you had brought a camera.

I told him I had been lucky enough to see The Clash once and he asked me when and where. I told him it was in Seattle in 1982 when they toured with The Who. He then told me about how he was still a good friend of Pete Townshend to that day.

I treasure the photo I had taken with Joe and the cds that he signed for me and think of how out of the hundreds of different musicans I've met over the years, he really stands out towards the top in showing his grattitude to his fans.

I remember Joe had his wife and young daughter with him that day and I can't help but think about them on this sad anniversary tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
Local Time: 08:51 PM

A very special Strummer marathon tomorrow and tonight, tons of Global A Go-Go will be played. IWB, I got my hands on a copy of Lets Rock Again, if you're interested.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
love, blood, life
Local Time: 09:51 AM
Goodbye inspiration
voice of a generation
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
halup, that's an awesome story

Originally posted by bayernfc

A very special Strummer marathon tomorrow and tonight, tons of Global A Go-Go will be played. IWB, I got my hands on a copy of Lets Rock Again, if you're interested.

i have a feeling i should know what let's rock again is, but i don't think i know

a certain friday evening rock dj (gee, i wonder who that could be) at the university radio station here will be playing the clash and mescaleros for the whole 2 and a half hour show on friday. done it the other years, and in august, too. in all fairness, i should probably know when the rest of the band's birthdays are, but i think the program director might get a little suspicious if i do that many all-clash and clash-related bands shows a year.

i've been listening to the clash and mescaleros non-stop for the last couple of days. recently discovered how awesome "the road to rock n roll" is. and realized that i had somehow reversed the titles on nitcomb and something else...but that's been fixed.

alright, i'm rambling now.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
The Fly
Local Time: 06:51 PM
Joe Strummer is my absolute favorite. I was hooked the first time I ever heard the Clash.

I later heard the Mescaleros song 'X-Ray Style' and I knew they were to good to be true. Shaktar Donestk and Johnny Appleseed are two of my favorite songs.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:51 PM

I feel like listening to Johnny Appleseed. It is at school. Damn.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
I Serve Larry's Stick
Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
Local Time: 01:51 AM
During my sophmore year of college I had a tough decision to make, use my limited funds to buy tickets for a Clash concert or a Gang of Four show (w/a then obscure band called REM opening). It really wasn't that tough though, I picked the Clash without hesitation.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:51 PM