Jodie Foster- the U2 of Hollywood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

*Stormy*

I just thought of something interesting- just as U2 is the only band to still be together after 25 years with the same members, same manager, no breakups, major drug problems, deaths, financial problems, or other such scandals, Jodie may just be the ONLY actor/actress who has been a very successful child, teen and serious adult star with a high rate of success and no scandals. Let's hear it for Jodie, a classy lady.

Well, Jodie Foster I don't find very moving or inspiring.. so I wouldn't say she's the U2 of Hollywood...

She's a brill actress, I just don't care for her.

I do care for David Fincher, however, and so thus am seeing Panic Room tonight.

I wouldn't say I was moved or inspired by her, and to tell you the truth I was never that big of a fan, except when I was a kid and she was in some Disney movies. It's just that looking at an ad for Panic Room, I suddenly realized how long and successful her career has been. She started out at age 2 in a Coppertone tanning lotion commercial, and was the original model of the girl on the billboard with her pants being pulled down by a dog. She was a child star and a teen star, went to law school, then went on to a successful serious movie career and an Oscar.

I just thought that was amazing, considering all the kid and teen stars who end up on drugs, in jail, dead or with ruined lives. It's like the rareness of U2's longevity in its original form compared to the pitfalls and 'Behind the Music' stories that befall most rock bands.

For that, I thought she deserved recognition.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

I've loved Jodie for so many years. Since "The Little girl Who Lived Down the Lane", I suppose. Looking forward to Panic Room.

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Jodie may just be the ONLY actor/actress who has been a very successful child, teen and serious adult star with a high rate of success and no scandals

Not to be difficult, but what about Ron Howard? Little Opie and Richie Cunningham, now an oscar winning director..
smile.gif

Originally posted by ZOOTB:
Not to be difficult, but what about Ron Howard? Little Opie and Richie Cunningham, now an oscar winning director..
smile.gif

ZOOTB - I don't think you are being difficult. When I started reading this thread I thought about Ron Howard. He and Jodie are a rarity. I like them both.

What about the Coreys? Feldman and Haim?

------------------
me3

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

I never thought about Richie Cunningham, him too!

I never liked the Coreys- where ARE they now? I got sore during the SB halftime when my brother bugged me that Bono's new short slick hairdo made him look like Corey Feldman.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

Corey Feldman is actually in Moby's new video.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by PopFly:
Corey Feldman is actually in Moby's new video.

Is Gary Coleman in it? He seems to be in a lot of videos, or am I thinking of Erik Estrada?

------------------
N A T E

"You've been all over,and
it's been all over you"

"I want to dance in the dirty Florida rain..
Where The Streets Have No Name..."
-Bono,Miami, December 2,2001

I love Jodie! She's great, she's my hero.

You know, I remember hearing that she is a U2 fan.

------------------
Who's gonna ride your wild horses?

Won't you kiss me on that MIDNIGHT STREET, sweep me OFF MY FEET, singing 'ain't this life SO SWEET?' -David Gray

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Jodie may just be the ONLY actor/actress who has been a very successful child, teen and serious adult star with a high rate of success and no scandals.
What about 2 children who nobody knows who the father is? Isn't that a bit of a scandal?
And didn't her brother write a book with some scandalous stuff?

BTW...Panic Room was pretty good, worth seeing.

Saw panic Room yesterday.

Here is my geeling on Jodie Foster - she is a way better actor to be doing movies like this. It was a crap movie. She needs to stop doing crap movies. If she can do quality movies, then she can be compared to U2. U2 has not put out a mind-numbing album that is overly predictable that could be compared with Panic Room.

Jodie Foster is THE best American Actress; she is not only beautiful but immensely IMMENSLY talented. And she's gorgeous.

Zonelistener, what was wrong with Panic Room? HelloAngel, how did you find it?

Oh, and Ron Howard did not deserve the Oscar.
A Beautiful Mind was a terribly overrated film, and I found Jennifer Conolly's oscar-winning performance annoying and tripe. Helen Mirren should have won.

Ant.

Originally posted by Anthony:
Zonelistener, what was wrong with Panic Room?

They really dumb-down stuff for audiences. They overly fore-shadowed events - giving away a lot for me. Of course, my friend sitting next didn't see the stuff I did, but I just thought it was too much. I could think of so many things that made the movie predictable - nothing is left to your imagination. I get frustrated with this.

Originally posted by Anthony:
Jodie Foster is THE best American Actress; she is not only beautiful but immensely IMMENSLY talented. And she's gorgeous.

Zonelistener, what was wrong with Panic Room? HelloAngel, how did you find it?

Oh, and Ron Howard did not deserve the Oscar.
A Beautiful Mind was a terribly overrated film, and I found Jennifer Conolly's oscar-winning performance annoying and tripe. Helen Mirren should have won.

Ant.

I agree about Jennifer Conolly--the problem I have with her is that she resembles about 10 other actresses and I found her performance adequate but rather undistinguished.

And here I go name-dropping again, but when you live(d) in NYC this sort of thing happens a lot...I sat next to Jodie at an off-Broadway show once. My brush with Jodieness. And no one got my joke above?
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom