Job search question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
I just found out 2 weeks ago that most of my office is losing their jobs. I've only been there 7 months so it's doubtful I'll be one of the few kept.

There's a company that I worked at last year as a temp. I stayed for an entire year because I wanted an actual job there. There was a hiring freeze for my last 5 months that I was there but I stayed anyways with the hopes of something opening up. After I left last year I had a few interviews but never found a job so I moved on to the place I'm at now.

The company from last year has a few positions open right now. I've already sent in my resume/cover letter for two jobs. I have a friend who works there and he's already gone to HR to see what's open.

So here's my question: Do I keep sending in the same cover letter every single time? I feel a little weird attacking them with the same information even thought it's all for different jobs. I really want a job in this company. It's one of those places that's really hard to get into but you're pretty much set for life it you do get a job. I just don't want to be overlooked because I'm applying to too many jobs.

Applying over and over again shows that you are interested.

Make sure you tell them why you want to work for their company and what you can do for them.

It is probably a good idea to change your cover letter and resume each time you apply for a different position. I'm not talking huge changes, just a word here and there (don't forget to change the date).

If you have applied as much as you said you have the staff working in human resources are probably familiar with your name. Make sure you state in your cover letter that you will phone them and then phone them. When they answer the phone take the time to notice their name and then thank them by name at the end of the call. Make sure you have some good questions for them:
1 - Have you had a chance to look at my application?
2 - Is now a good time to arrange an interview?

If by chance you don't make the cut, ask them why.

Remember to say please and thank you.

Personalize things and try to call decision makers directly. Also, have your friend call and the decision maker to recommend you. Focused effort is recognized.

Sorry, just one more thing....

Make sure your application is filled out correctly and that you have sent in everything that they asked for.

I was recently speaking with a friend who missed a huge opportunity at work as she sent in an application but didn't enclose a photocopy of her driver's license. Due to office policy, her application wasn't even considered as it was not complete even though she already worked there and was more than qualified for the position.

Back
Top Bottom