Joanna Newsom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babble

The Fly
Anyone heard any of her music? What do you think? I've heard some of her songs and the harp is gorgeous and so are the lyrics, but I'm having a bit of trouble appreciating her voice, and I normally really love unusual voices.

I checked out her latest CD and was annoyed after five minutes. I gave it another ten minutes to see if I changed my mind.

I didn't.

corianderstem said:
I checked out her latest CD and was annoyed after five minutes. I gave it another ten minutes to see if I changed my mind.

I didn't.

People insist I'll change my mind but I haven't.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing her live to see what the fuss is all about.

great musician, her voice is a little difficult but I don't have problems with that, I like difficult things

"Ys" is beautiful, great lyrics, but probably "The Milk-Eyed Mender" is a better place to start

The seventeenth century called. It wants its music back.

Axver said:

I'm pretty sure she would have equally sucked back then.

Jack In The Box said:
great musician, her voice is a little difficult but I don't have problems with that, I like difficult things

"Ys" is beautiful, great lyrics, but probably "The Milk-Eyed Mender" is a better place to start

I tend to like difficult things too; I find my appreciation for them lasts far longer than for an easily accessible 3 minute pop song.
Milk-Eyed Mender is the one I've been listening to but her voice hasn't grown on me yet.

Axver said:

She can play songs on the lute with Sting.

I love how the iTunes reviews have to spew out bullshit about her "interesting and engaging vocals" too.

I guess that's code for shit?

Some scene kid was like "yeah I saw them at this church thingie and she was alright" and I was all like uh huh cool so when do we get the Arcade Fire tickets?

I had to review "Ys" for a magazine and have mercy, I struggled to find clever ways to be polite but also have some distance and not say "Ooh I hated it!"

Her voice is alright, but ultimately, 5 songs in an hour that drone on and on without any structure or melody was just too much. I love epic poems, and this was close. The lyrics were lovely but...good lord one of the most challenging records I've ever heard.

I love her work more than I like her as an artist
which probably means that I can see how she could suck, but still somehow absolutely love her work

Ys is quite remarkable

I liked her voice pretty much straight away even though I can totally see why for many people it would be more preferrable to listen to nails on the chalkboard, :wink: Her singing is such a bizarre mix of a five-year-old child and an ancient cackling crone.

I thought that Ys would be very hard to listen to after I had a look at the tracks' running time but surprisingly enough it went down well from the first listen. I really like her lyrics, as well.

Back
Top Bottom