JFK by oliver stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
This weekend I watched Oliver Stone's JFK.

Where were you the day that JFK was shot? The world was doing something in their lives before it came to a holt with the news that JFK was shot. I wasn't born when it happened but I could sympathize and understand with how those people felt 'cause the world came to a stand still for me when the plans hit the tower.

I've always been fascinated with the murder of JFK 'cause conspiracy theories fascinate me, politics interests me and the dirty lies that go on within the White House interest me. After watching the film, most of my suspicions were confirmed.

This film at it's time received a lot of backlash and controversy and rightfully so. Oliver Stone is known to push the envelope. Whether you agree with the ending or what happens within the story is one thing but you can't deny that the White House has been hiding something in regards to the murder of JFK. Not everyone will agree with the way this film was presented but Stone should be admired for having the guts to release this piece.

The first few moments of the movie made me cry as the credits rolled and the original 8mm footage was depicted behind of JFK and his Wife in the back seat of the car waving to all the citizens. The screen goes blackand then boom....you hear the sound of two gun shots. You're left staring at the black screen for 30 more seconds so that the mood can digest.

Let's not forget that the New York Times from the start referred to Oswald as the "assassin," not the "suspect." The media has been known to far fetch things but back then, the people trusted the media. Why would the people question the media at that time, after all, the news must be right *rolls eyes*? We obviously know better now and we question things more so than ever before. This is what Oliver Stone did, questioned.

The acting of Kevin Costner was brilliant and was supported by an all star cast; Kevin Bacon, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, Sissy Spacek and Vincent D'Onofrio just to name a few.

I had a problem with how they portrayed the character of Jim Garrison, played by Kevin Costner, as a goody goody. I've done research on the assignation of JFK in high school as a spare time project. The media portrayed him as one light and the movie in another. Then again, Oliver Stone has been known to manipulate the truth and opinion just as bad as the media.

The movie was 3 hours and 15 minutes long. Although the facts presented and the story line was interesting, I found it un-necessary for the movie to be that long.

I thought it was a great movie; probably got me into conspiracy theories...long yes, but....
I wonder if we'll ever know the truth? I think the vaults were supposed to be opened on this already but got closed again......:eyebrow:

my opinion is that people in the government hired the mob to do it.
why?
1. JFK was for equal rights amongst races
2. he botched the bay of pigs invasion
3. he didn't support the war in vietnam

I never understood what was so bad about him not supporting the Vietnam War, what did they have to lose if no war happenned?

It was very long, yes, but very informative. I am one of the converted who thought it was only one shot.

I was also very pleased that I now know what that Keith Hernandez episode from Seinfeld was making fun of.

"That was one magic luggie (sp?)." :lol:

Last edited:
I liked the movie when I watched it on TV a few years ago. I wasn't yet born at the time.

I also think that there is a lot more to that murder than we will (ever?) know. Not just the "single shooter" theory, suspicious also when the obduction results of JFK went missing.

My favorite part was the "don't forget your dying king" speech from Kevin Costner. Very powerful.

I am a fan of the movie as a piece of film, as a representation of history it bears no resemblance to reality. The NSAM 263 issued for troop reductions by 64 were not orders for a full withdrawl from Vietnam or to cede it all to the communists.

It is possible that Oswald was not the only shooter and Ruby iced him to cover it all up - the big Millitary Industrial Complex / Vast Right Wing Conspiracy simply builds a premise without evidence.

Great film, faulty hypothesis.

Oliver Stone rocks, and this film is no exception. However, I do try to see his films as art/entertainment, as opposed to reconstructions or facts. This is true of his JFK as well as his Nixon... or his biopic on MArgaret Thatcher, should he go ahead with it as he's rumoured to (I sure hope so!).

Ant.

PS - Alexander was cool, too. It didn't deserve the critical mauling it got. Let me say it again - Stone rocks!

Back
Top Bottom