Jessica Simpson is evil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
I know this thread has a harsh subject heading, but I think it's quite appropriate.

For those not in the know, Jessica Simpson is another "teen pop sensation" like Brittney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Mandy Moore. She is most well known for her committment to abstinence before marriage -- a noble cause -- but no such committment can excuse her act of desecration.

Her latest single, "I Think I'm in Love with You", which features such amazing lyrics as "Never met a guy like you before /
You make me feel special inside", samples heavily from John Mellencamp's "Jack & Diane".

JACK AND DIANE!! Sweet Lord, no!!!

I mean, I'm not against sampling, per se; I'm not even agains the sampling/covering of rock classics, if it's done well. I recall that 2 Live Crew sampled from Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." to make "Banned in the U.S.A." They turned a rebel song into *their* rebel song, and that's fine. But this?

These pop singers have damn near ruined the music industry as it is, now they're attacking OUR music, good ol' rock n' roll.

There's no need for this. Their fourteen-year-old fanatics would buy the sound of these girls brushing their teeth.

And there's no excuse for this. Jessica Simpson is twenty years old. She should know that this song should not be touched in this way.

I am writing Columbia Records to issue my protest.

feedback@columbiarecords.com

And heaven help these schmucks if they touch a U2 song...

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Well Bubba, I understand your frustration, but I think sampling and borrowing is one of those necessary evils. Think of it this way, it just goes to show that these "artist's" only CHANCE of being considered legitimate is by borrowing a solid, classic hit. Think about it... nobody really takes it seriously except for the little teenies who don't know better, but they will eventually grow up and find mature tastes, at which time they will feel embarrassed of all their "Britney" memorabilia. When I was 12, everyone liked New Kids on the Block. I liked U2. Now that we are older, they claim they've always been U2 fans, but I know the truth... OK major tangent.

Anyway. My Dad got mad at me cuz I listened to Helter Skelter and didn't know it was a Beatles song. So you can look at it any way you like. I would be MORE scared if people started sampling from really AWFUL bands, like, say, Smashing Pumpkins.

Again, I'm not against sampling or covers, per se, even when classic songs are used. But I think there are right ways and wrong ways to do it:

The right way to cover: wait until you're established, and make it a good cover. U2 waited until the Rattle & Hum / Achtung Baby era to do covers, and Guns N' Roses waited until Use Your Illusion to cover Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney. The point is, they had conquered the world WITHOUT using other peoples' songs.

At the same time, U2's "Night & Day" (originally a Cole Porter tune), Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page", and Nirvana's cover of Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World" are so geniunely good -- as either tributes to the original or different takes on the same song -- that these covers aren't heresies.

And even IF you make a cover before you're well known, make it interesting, like Frente's cover of New Order's "Bizzare Love Triangle"... or even Limp Bizkit's "Faith".

The worst covers? Those that don't serve as touching tributes or interesting takes on the original, THOSE WITH NO SOUL. The best examples of the worst covers? Madonna's "American Pie" and Cher's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", easily.

And the right way to sample: take an obscure part of pop culture that no one would recognize (Busta Rhyme's "Gimme Some More" samples from the "Psycho" soundtrack), do something witty with a classic, or use a great song as a tribute to someone who died before his prime (The Police's "Every Breath You Take" being used by Puff Daddy to remember the Notorious B.I.G.).

The wrong way to do it is to use an established riff or hook just to make a hip-hop or pop song more radio-friendly, something Will Smith, Puff Daddy, and Janet Jackson are notorious for. It's lazy, it assumes there are no more good hooks left, and it mutilates the original song.

And THAT, my friend, is why Jessica Simpson is evil. Pure evil.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

How can she be evil if her father is a reverend?? It really isn't that evil cause she is a joke to all musicians, most of the teeny bop artists are jokes(except for Hanson who have grown up a lot since MM Bop).
Come on Bubba, 3 years and she will be gone so just let her no talent ass buy some cars and all that stuff but when she falls soon, I gurantee you she will "fall". She will be asking for my orders at Mcdonalds in 10 years, I actually doubt that but it would be funny.

-rougerum

Okay, I'll make this as short as possible:

Jessica Simpson's evil -- or at least, not very respectful of real music -- by desecrating "Jack & Diane". True, she is probably a flash in the pan musically (just like N*Stink, Brittney Spears, AND Hanson), but during this, her short stay in mainstream music, she could have merely made meaningless pop songs that no one would remember in five years. She could have just made songs similar in stature and worth as New Kids' "The Right Stuff".

True, she did make bubblegum pop, but she also sampled HEAVILY from John Mellencamp, and that is unforgivable.

Thanks to MC Hammer, if you were to play "Superfreak" by Ric James, you would still hear "U Can't Touch This" in the back of your mind. And now there's a good chance "Jack & Diane" will be forever ruined in the same way, and that's a shame.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Don't put Hanson with all those bad acts like N Sync or Britney Spears. I think they have actually grown a lot since MM Bop and have more imagination now than a lot of bands. The song they have out now "If Only" is a damn good song! They are also inspired by good music like Beach Boys and U2.

-rougerum
(150 is the last post of rougerum officially, I now retie him and Son of Pear is the main guy but once Son of Pear turns 150, he will also be retired and be replaced)

Okay, I'll concede Hanson, if for no other reason I don't know any of their newer stuff. So I plead ignorance on that one.

Originally posted by rougerum:
(150 is the last post of rougerum officially, I now retie him and Son of Pear is the main guy but once Son of Pear turns 150, he will also be retired and be replaced)

May I ask why? IMHO, it's best that we all keep the same ID's so everyone knows who everyone else is.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Trust me, you will know it is me with a post and I just get bored being one name so I like to change them and 150 seems to be a great number. Or I just might put rougerum at the end of every post like this.

-rougerum

dammit!!! Was suppose to use Son of Pear for the last one, my srew up!

-rougerum

As I said before many many times to my friend (well she's not really a friend just someone who thinks I want to be her friend.) I HATE *NSNYC, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Lit*, and now a new candidate eminem... This mofo hates everything and everyone. WHAT HAS THE MUSIC WORLD COME TO!!! I am depressed to know that people like eminem and *NSYNC are in the mainstream!!! :*(
*ahem*

"Hey Hey my my...
ROCK-N-ROLL can never die...
There's more to the picture...
than meets the eye...
Hey hey my my..."

------------------
I LOVE BONO
:)U2GIRL:)

I would disagree with you, Eminem is one of the best musical artists out there right now.

"A conspiracy walks in masks and hoods. They don't reveal who they are but they always try to keep me from playing the gold trumpet."

Ehhh... My opinion on Eminem is simple: he's one of the more talented rappers out there, but he's also an ungrateful schmuck when it comes to fan base, and an agressive punk with very few constructive ideas to add to the world of music or to the culture in general.

But, in his defense, he's not Jessica Simpson, who is, as we all know, evil.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Okay, so she's on TV, you can hit the mute button.

What if she's on the radio? What can you do but weep for "a little ditty about Jack & Diane"?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Jessica Simpson is still hot as hot can be, and the Pumpkins are IMO the best rock band of the 90's. (No I don't conside U2 to be a 'rock' band per se.)

Holy shit this thread was from a while back, I was using my Son of Pear name here. I am afraid to even read it.

~rougerum

Holy back to the future batman!

This post is almost a year old...

whoa....my head is spinning......

------------------
All is quiet on New Year's Day
Think I'll try and impress my mates
So I jumped into the lake
I won't do that again
Here we go again - A

[This message has been edited by popkidu2 (edited 08-11-2001).]

Well although it seems that I've missed out on the serious part of this thread, I'm still going to post this;

In my eyes, when some one "samples" a song to make themselves big it's wrong. The Beatles did alot of COVERS to get noticed, then started with their own tunes when they got out there. But these new bands who's "new single" is completly ripped off of a Bob Dylan, U2, Rolling Stones, etc.. song and that is the solitary song that they are known for. That's just plain wrong. If these new "artists" (I shutter to think that they will be remembered as that) acually had some tallent there wouldn't be these "one hit wounders" which, although the best of us may fall for and go out and purchase/burn their CD, RAPE those old classics down to the barenaked minimum of soul that was once in it and put it to a "new beat" you know what I'm talking about;
Ddd, Ddd, Ddd, Ddd, Ddd, etc...

I will leave you with the words that make me cry when i turn on the radio to try to find some MUSIC in these modern times:

Just take those old records off the shelf.
I'll sit and listen to them by myself,
todays music ain't got the same soul.
I like that old time rock'n'roll!

-Bob Seger (Old Time Rock and Roll)
(download it to get the full affect!!!)

.....and just incase you were woundering, yes im only 16years old!...and no i never fell for those MODERN POP bands my dad raised me on 1050chum(those of you that live in toronto will know what that is...to bad they shut it down eh)

As a rule I hate that whole sampling thing. What I hate most of all is walking into a store, hearing some music come on, thinking "Oh, it's [good song]" and then some stupid rapper comes in on top of it.

About Jessica Simpson and her ilk, why do these girls who are supposedly so big on abstinence before marriage have to dress and dance in the most provocative and sexualized way possible? I have always been a little confused about this.

------------------
Your earth moves beneath your own dream landscape

Scatter-

I can't figure out if you are being judgemental and self-righteous or whether you are legitimately confused. Her dressing sexy doesn't bother me at all. She's a beautiful girl why can't she act that way? I have no problem with it whatsoever.

Originally posted by socalu2fan:
Scatter-

I can't figure out if you are being judgemental and self-righteous or whether you are legitimately confused. Her dressing sexy doesn't bother me at all. She's a beautiful girl why can't she act that way? I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I am actually kind of confused by it. I find it contradictory. Why would you speak in favour of abstinence before marriage and then dress and dance in a way that suggests you want it now? (maybe the lyrics too, I don't know, I really don't know any of her songs.) Maybe I'm missing something. I had this problem with Britney Spears too.

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 08-13-2001).]

I think that dressing that way means different things to different people. I think all she's saying is, "I have a beautiful body, and I'm proud of it.", not "I have a beautiful body, let's have sex"

I think we should all see what she looks like, strictly for informational purposes....
biggrin.gif

02.jpg

*Drooling*
07.jpg

As a great poet once said...'She will be mine, oh yes. She will be mine.'
19.jpg

I am totally in loooove.
17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom