Jericho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CTU2fan said:

Their shows suck so bad half the country is already boycotting them and don't even realize it :)

Is there any kind of site anywhere that tells which shows are cancelled/returning next year? I mean for all networks...

tvhell.net has a list of every cancelled show.

Well I missed this whole Jericho-is-cancelled business until I saw this article in today's New York Times. Since the site requires registration/subscription, I'll post the whole article (bolded emphasis mine). It's long but pretty funny.

May 30, 2007
Television
End-of-Days Fidelity for ‘Jericho’
By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN

The problem with the proposition that television is an art is that art is meant to be deathless, while television shows are always being canceled.

New sitcoms, for example, come on like your best friend forever the first time you meet, only to vanish without a trace when the network pulls the plug. They’re like grifters that way. Suspicious. Sitcom sets are built to look like monuments to eternal friendship — everybody-knows-your-name Central Perk WKRP monuments — but if there’s one false move in the ratings, they’re axed to splinters, and no one seems to shed a tear.

Then there are hourlong shows. Even the plainest network drama in these days of “The Wire” and “Nip/Tuck” sets up mortal stakes — with plane crashes, tanks, spinal-cord injuries, point-blank executions — as well as tormented characters invented to seize the brain.

These shows ask more than the comedies do: they don’t demand friendship as much as fealty. In an unsuccessful drama this ambition seems laughable. In a successful one it just works. You fall in thrall. You accept the series as your master. Such is the case with “The Sopranos,” “Rescue Me” and, it seems, “Jericho.”

I probably should call that last series, which CBS canceled earlier this month, “the late ‘Jericho,’ ” but it makes me nervous to write those words. That’s not because I was an obsessive viewer of that postapocalyptic survivalist show (though, having finally caught up, I like it), but because its fans are die-hards.

Anything about the demise of “Jericho” at the hands of the CBS brass should therefore be whispered. Those “Jericho” people are way, way, way in the denial phase of grief. As you can imagine, fans of a postapocalyptic survivalist show — especially those who have not quite faced that Rover’s with the angels in heaven now, right, Mommy? — have a tendency to be somewhat defensive. Vehement. Sensitive.

“Jericho” lovers write fan fiction, original stories based on the show’s characters. They argue over fine points. They make knowing, intimate references. They pull off stunts and skits that pick up on the attitude and logic of the show. They haze outsiders. They embark on campaigns.

Lately, too, they buy nuts: more than 26,000 pounds so far, nearly all of them roasted peanuts from an online retailer called NutsOnline.com. That’s 13 tons. These nuts are shipped in boxes to CBS executives, who fans persist in believing might bring the low-rated “Jericho” back to prime time.

Just as other battles — for “Everwood,” “Arrested Development,” “Veronica Mars” — have taken on the particular character of the show being fought for, so the one for “Jericho” has been put in terms you might expect from people who have been watching an embattled community in Kansas fight to survive after the nuclear destruction of major American cities.

For some the war seems more than a little holy: it pits an endangered home-and-hearth drama set on the Plains against “American Idol,” a chintzy Hollywood reality competition that is invariably called a “juggernaut.”

At the same time, the “Jericho” call to arms doubles as a referendum on universal suffrage, charging that the Nielsen ratings system, which takes only passing notice of digital video recorders and new ways of watching television, is no more reliable than American voting machines. (“Jericho” features all kinds of makeshift and jury-rigged technology and suggests that the combination of munitions and TiVo can be formidable in the red states.)

Arguably, though, “Jericho” fans are just television fans at their most fannish, meaning (still, and after all these years) most Trekkie-like. Fans of “Star Trek” continue to represent the gold standard for American fandom, not only because they were the first to love a television show to distraction (and communicated that love before the Internet), but also because they spun from that love the breath of life.

They not only reincarnated their postapocalyptic series, which was nominally canceled in 1969, they also generated, as they see it, no fewer than five television shows, 10 feature films and hundreds of novels.

With that effort still yielding dividends in the form of video games, computer games and memorabilia, what committed fan wouldn’t fight for a beloved show’s second season? Earlier this month, at the upfront presentations, at which the networks unveil fall shows to advertisers, the buzz among journalists, executives and media buyers focused on video players, personnel changes and a handful of striking pilots. People who cared about struggling shows tended to talk about NBC’s “Friday Night Lights” or “30 Rock,” which had both been renewed.

“Jericho” viewers generally got the news on the Internet: no more “Jericho.” In videos, on message boards and in e-mail messages came the rallying cry: Nuts. The idea crystallized quickly: “Say nuts to CBS.”

The quaint use of nuts to mean both “that’s rubbish” and “go jump in a lake” came to fans from the final episode of the series, called “Why We Fight,” after the award-winning propaganda films by Frank Capra.

In that last episode Jake Green (Skeet Ulrich) uses the word nuts to refuse his enemy’s suggestion that he surrender. The G-rated expression is justified in a flashback to pre-apocalypse days: it comes from his grandfather’s story about an American commander who stood up to the Nazis at Bastogne.

“Nuts” is a nice fit for this true-blue show, then: a flinty, Greatest Generation word, with a slightly bawdy bite. (Just before the grandpa story, hay is made over a mispronunciation of the word “peanuts,” as if to sex up “nuts” as a catchphrase.) In the final episode the rogue-turned-team-captain of the town called Jericho — that’s Jake — sees his father urge him to keep fighting the forces marshaling against him before he expires on a kitchen table.

Finally comes an attack on Jericho that looks like the big one, and a blackout. A textbook cliffhanger. No wonder some of the first fans to protest the cancellation recut the final episode with Jake and the boys fighting CBS. They uploaded their efforts to YouTube, and began the supremely popular “Nuts to CBS” campaign.

How CBS thought it could peddle heady patriotic stuff like this — not to mention run a series with episodes titled “Semper Fidelis,” “One if by Land” and “Coalition of the Willing,” if that gives a stronger sense of the soul of the series — and not expect a citizen-army to form in the show’s defense is folly.

It’s almost like creating Vulcans, the Enterprise and Starfleet and not anticipating that some children of the ’60s and ’70s, who didn’t feel altogether embraced by life on Earth, might see themselves in the mirror of that new universe and devote hours, days and years of their young lives to ensure its survival.

So I just started watching this show, I was bored the other night and found it on TV Links...

I'm on Episode 11 (the election - watching it right now), in 2 days. No idea why I like it so much, and I don't think I would have kept up if I had to wait a week between episodes, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Hope this nuts campaign works :up:

ok.. just found this on tmz.com

"Jericho" Back in Action? That's Nuts!
Posted Jun 5th 2007 3:06PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Gossip/Rumors, TV

For all you super-obsessed "Jericho" nuts out there, worry no more!

CBS is steps away from sealing a deal to bring "Jericho" back from the TV graveyard for at least eight episodes, this according to TVGuide.com. An insider was quoted as saying the deal hinges on signing the actors to new contracts and finding a soundstage to house the show's sets. The series, which focuses on a small Kansas town coping with a new reality after a series of nuclear attacks by terrorists, could return as soon as mid-season. Kaboom!

Jerichoholics have launched all sorts of desperate campaigns to resurrect the show, including bombarding TMZ's email accounts with pleas. People -- listen up -- we can't bring back TV shows!!

Diehard fans have also sent shipments of peanuts to CBS in a move to persuade them to pickup the series. The peanuts were an allusion to a bit of war-cry dialog in the final episode. "Nuts!"

For the first time, television executives will work for peanuts

looks like the show is very close to being resurrected from the dead for at least 8 more shows... all those obssesive fans bombarding the media paid off I guess. :hmm:

:applaud:
CBS Reverses Decision to Ax 'Jericho'
Jun 6, 4:58 PM EST
"Jericho" fans who slammed CBS with protests over the drama's cancellation have won the battle: It will return next season, the network said Wednesday.
It was an unusual display of viewer might since networks usually put ratings ahead of even the most passionate, well-organized fan base. But CBS said the show deserved another chance, while cautioning that it must prove it has wider appeal.
"Wow! Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series," CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler said in a letter to "Jericho" boosters.
The letter was released to The Associated Press.
"You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard," Tassler wrote, and seven episodes have been ordered for midseason 2007-08. "In success, there is the potential for more. But, for there to be more `Jericho,' we will need more viewers."
Fans must do their part to rally interest while the network does its job, she said.
CBS is planning a campaign to reintroduce "Jericho," including rerunning the show on CBS this summer, streaming episodes and clips online and releasing the first season on DVD on Sept. 25. The show's return date and scheduling has yet to be determined.
CBS had to complete deals with cast members, including star Skeet Ulrich, before announcing its decision.
Networks rarely reverse a show's axing but CBS has proven its flexibility at least once before. In 1983, after "Cagney & Lacey" was canceled and the network was bombarded with protests, the police drama was brought back in 1984 — and ran successfully to 1988.
Since "Jericho" was canceled last month the network has been deluged with calls, messages and shipments of nuts signifying viewer displeasure.
"We are tired of the networks (not just CBS) tossing aside quality programming," was the message carried by jericholives.com, one of several web sites protesting the cancellation. "Enough! We're going to fight for this one."
Clarke Ingram, a "Jericho" fan from Pittsburgh, Pa., and a spokesman for jericholives, said Tuesday that the drama about a Kansas town isolated by a nuclear terrorist attack deserved renewal for its daring premise, writing and acting.
"People would paint this as teenagers in tinfoil hats" rallying behind the show, said Ingram, 50, an operations manager for two radio stations.

"That's not what this is. These are educated professionals."
Several factors worked in the show's favor: It appealed to the young adult viewers sought by advertisers and was one of CBS' most popular shows streamed online, indicating an audience beyond that measured by traditional ratings.
CBS also likely took into consideration the dent a long hiatus put in the show's viewership, the same scheduling misstep that hurt ABC's "Lost" and NBC's "Heroes."
Last fall, "Jericho" was averaging 10.5 million viewers; when it returned in the spring, it drew about 8.1 million, about a 23 percent decline from the first half of the season.
The display of fan enthusiasm included the delivery of 50,000 pounds of peanuts to its New York offices. In the season finale, a character replies "Nuts!" to a demand that the beleaguered town of Jericho surrender.
That's the same response that a U.S. general in World War II made to a German demand for surrender at the Battle of the Bulge.
Another positive outcome of the fan campaign: CBS is donating the protest peanuts to charities, including one that sends care packages to troops overseas.

:up: :up:

Still have to finish the first season, though...my laptop died, and the computer I'm on now is 12 years old and won't run the TVLinks.co.uk player. :grumpy:

I'll probably get sucked in again. I hope they at least stick with it long enough to resolve some things so that if it doesn't get the ratings to continue we won't feel left hanging and abandoned.

Again, a not-very-good show that I really enjoyed watching.

I was watching some of them On Demand during the hiatus but I was too busy with school to keep up, pretty good what I saw, and hopefully they'll take these bonus episodes to end it well, not risk it on the slim chance it gets more views after a year hiatus.

Finally!

fans of Jericho may be joined by wayward viewers of other series that have shut down production during the strike. It's almost a certainty that Jericho will benefit from additional advertising dollars since CBS has far fewer dramatic shows to promote. It's also highly likely that at least a few stragglers will wander over to see what all the fuss is about. We'll find out when Jericho returns for its second season on Tuesday, Feb. 12 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT).

source: http://tv.ign.com/articles/839/839319p1.html

:up:

Wow, another Tuesday show for me...didn't it used to be Wednesday?

I forgot all about this show! Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure I'll watch it again, and wonder why again, and tune in religiously every week for what is an addictive B grade show.

Yeah me too. It better move fast because I don't think they're planning to show a ton of episodes.

I saw last week's episode and was quite pleasantly surprised. I really liked some of the political implications of the US army imposing order in an area where people have justified hatred for one another. This must be what imposed order feels like in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. And the writers have shown this to American viewers and allowed them to feel for the local people and understand the complexities.

I also liked the woman figuring out her fiance was being cheated. I kinda liked her jealous rant in regards to the tax woman. However, I don't think she should have married an obviously chauvinistic guy like that. He's so dull.

Not a massive fan of the main actor, but I really liked the military guy in charge. Great acting. Very believable.

So apparently the new gov't is behind the bombings and seems to be heading down the road to fascism. And Ravenwood is back, yep that's going to go really well. Next week should be interesting.

Liking this a lot so far. :up:

Good to see the plot twists are back in full force, too.

I'm also happy that Mrs Green (Jake's mom aka crazy old lady) seems to be out. All she ever did was insist on stupid choices and annoy the hell out of me.

I think at this point I'm only watching it because Skeet Ulrich is cute and I've already invested so much into it but I'm finding I'm not all that interested this season, although the previews for next week included a virus so that's kind of interesting and ensures I'll stick with it.

DaveC said:

I'm also happy that Mrs Green (Jake's mom aka crazy old lady) seems to be out. All she ever did was insist on stupid choices and annoy the hell out of me.

Thank god eh...she drove me up the bloody wall. When they said she moved to another town I knew she was off the show.....for a while hopefully.

I have watched Jericho since the beginning and I love this season so far. It's kind of strange to not see their mom there. I guess it's a good thing, as some have mentioned she was annoying. Chavez and Hawkins kick ass. Jake needs to control him self before doing something stupid.

That's funny, I totally missed the part where Mrs Green moved andI forgot all about her. Yeah, she was annoying. She belongs in a daytime soap opera or on a heartwarming show on The Lifetime Channel.

Bring on a bird flu virus next week. :drool:

Nice to see a fellow politico, joeybaloney, and you're very right, too, necroskippy. I just saw the episode this Saturday, and maybe it wasn't a riveting episodes, but the political insight was pretty good. I loved the reference to private contractor Blackwater. This was called Raven, as in black, and it was able to overrule official military officers, just as in reality. In Iraq, their private mercenaries, employed from all over the world, including foreign government armies, were given higher priority in Iraq. They got away with murder regularly -- literally! Blackwater guards have been in many cases of killing innocent Iraqis. One even got drunk and started shooting random people. They've all gotten away with it, so, when Blackwater guards shot and killed the security assigned to an Iraqi government official, the Iraqi government kicked them out. However, there's a conflict of interest with Congress investigating them because Blackwater is in charge of ensuring security for visiting members of Congress and the Bush administration. The CEO, Eric Prince is a terrible guy, who blatantly lies. Blackwater was invited by the powerful into the wake of Katrina to protect the property of corporations and the rich. Meanwhile the poor wallowed.

Here's more on that:
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/10192007/watch.html

Ravenwood's been around since about the sixth episode last season.

And who the heck are joeybaloney and necroskippy??

:confused:

Fuck. I'm hooked again. :sigh:

I just downloaded the first season and started watching from the start again, and it occurs to me that Mimi is way hotter now than she was at the start of the series. :up:

Back
Top Bottom