Jeff Buckley. The "Live at Sin-e" Expanded Reissue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Buy it.

Sell other CDs, your car, or your children if necessary.

I (finally) got it today and I was moved to tears. The sound quality is positively amazing, and with these PERFECT recordings of rarities like "If You See Her Say Hello" and "Be Your Husband," it's essential. Nice packaging, 2 CDs and a DVD--25 bucks, still a little pricey but definitely worth it. A major record label does something RIGHT.

I did buy this over the weekend, despite the sticker shock. I had heard something about it coming out, but I had no idea it was a 2-CD set with a bonus DVD - until I saw it on the new releases display at the local mom and pop record store. I couldn't wait to get home and listen to it! This was the first time I'd heard a live recording of Jeff Buckley, and it did not disappoint. I'm jealous of the people who had the chance to see him at Sin-e back then.

I actually just bought it and am listening to it now. I honestly think that some of these recordings are better than the studio versions. There's just something about the emotion, I thought the studio versions were amazing but some of these I think tower over them. And it's only him and an electric guitar! Blows Mystery White Boy out of the water.

*bump* sorry, haven't been around in a while...

i got it first thing in the morning the day it came out...listened to it that afternoon as soon as i had a chance to. (i would have got it at midnight but lousy tower records didn't have it in yet...)

anyways, jeff buckley moves me to tears often, and these recordings are no exception. they are absolutely wonderful. this is the REAL jeff buckley...as real as those of us who never got to see him can get. he is funny, emotional, and absolutely the most gifted musician i could possibly imagine.

even if you're not a big jeff fan, YOU NEED THIS. i can't say it enough....it's just awesome.

Seriously, one of the best live shows ever committed to tape. You cry, laugh, stand back in awe....all in the span of 2 discs. I had the original 4 song e.p. and played it to death. Imagine how happy I am now!

I can't wait to get this--I haven't found it in stores here yet. I was fortunate to see Jeff many times during the early days... (though never at Sin-e, other small places in the neighborhood).

"Twelfth of Never" is soooooo great. And that version of "Hallelujah" at the end of disc two is heart-stopping.

God, I am STILL drooling over this set a week later.

Buckley's posthumous catalogue has really been exceptional. It's a shame more estates aren't as consistent.

it's because his mother is so dedicated to preserving the legacy of his music, god bless her...

can you imagine what it'd be like without sketches, songs to no one, or the new set? craziness, i'm telling you...

I have a great CD that I put together myself of Jeff rarities...I have a demo version of "Grace," his covers of "Farewell Angelina" and "Mama You've Been on My Mind" from the Music Faucet, his somewhat profane reworking of "Three Is a Magic Number"...anyone interested in trades can PM me. ;)

brettig said:
Would be better without the monologues.

I finally picked this up in NY a couple of weeks ago. It warmed my heart to buy it at the exact Tower Records where I on more than one occasion ran into Jeff, whose apt building I lived in during 1993, and walked home with him. The important thing about the monologues being included is that those silly monologues really capture a part of Jeff that most fans don't know about. The Chicago concert video pains me because you do not see any of that side of Jeff--he looks absolutely miserable and I can't even watch it. Jeff was very goofy and frequently burst into silly voices and monologues--kind of like Robin Williams, actually. People tend to see him as serious and tortured but he was also a big goofball. This is a wonderful collection.

:heart:

JessicaAnn said:
I tried to buy it yesterday, but the music store didn't have it ...

Damn Sam Goody...

I got it last week and it was money well spent.

Not to sound weird, but Hallelujah at the end of disk 2 made me cry. It was so beautiful. It is an exceptional compilation from an exceptional artist.

JessicaAnn said:
Not to sound weird, but Hallelujah at the end of disk 2 made me cry.
That's not an uncommon effect of that song. Not that I've experienced it or anything, what with my Y chromosome and all, but, uh, you know, other people have.

And I like the monologues.

Last edited:
typhoon said:

That's not an uncommon effect of that song. Not that I've experienced it or anything, what with my Y chromosome and all, but, uh, you know, other people have.

And I like the monologues.

It's ok if your Y chromosome needs to shed a tear every now and then ... :sad:

The monologues are great ... they give you a glimpse of his personality and what it might have been like to be at a real Sin E show.:sad:

i agree...i think the monologues make it real. it's not just some live footage, rather a real interaction with him...

and that version of hallelujiah is absolutely tear-jerking...no need to feel odd about that.

Hmmm, well, I hadn't given much thought to buying the album but recently a friend told me Buckley's cover of Just Like a Woman is astonishingly beautiful and since I trust this person's taste in music implicitly, well, I am going to buy Live at Sin-e'.

it is a beautiful cover of just like a woman...my favorite cover on it, though, is definately i shall be released

Back
Top Bottom