Jeff Buckley - How amazing was this guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I worked for a music store back in the mid 90's and used to get promotional copies of almost every CD that came out. I remember getting Grace one day and not bothering to check it out for the longest time. Then one day I did finally listen to it and kicked myself for not doing so sooner.

The real genius-who-died-too-young of the 90s. Led Zeppelin meets Van Morrison? Absolutely brilliant. :up:

let's not forget 'lover, you should've come over'
absolutely amazing.
if you're into grace, some tracks on 'sketches for my sweetheart, the drunk' are definitely worth checking out...
'the sky is a landfill' is epic
'morning theft' shares time with 'last goodbye' as my favorite song by jeff buckley. sort of a u2 'promenade' vibe, just way more fleshed out, better words, great building energy.
'jewel box' - big star-esque pop ditty.
'satisfied mind' - for the fans of hallelujah out there
and have you ever heard his cover of 'the boy with the thorn in his side' by the smiths? it's fucking great - i have no idea what the hell he's doing on the guitar, sounds like he has four arms all going in different directions.
yeah, the dude was pretty fucking good...:ohmy:
sad that he's gone.

I often wonder if he were still alive, he would have lived up to such promise. Is he more heralded because he died?

I think he was undeniably talented, but perhaps overrated in his death.

: waits to be ushered out of thread by hired goons :

corianderstem said:
I often wonder if he were still alive, he would have lived up to such promise. Is he more heralded because he died?

I think he was undeniably talented, but perhaps overrated in his death.

: waits to be ushered out of thread by hired goons :

dying is such an awesome career move.

i think his most important contribution was influence rather than accomplishment. thom yorke and matt bellamy come to mind as 2 amazing singers in 2 amazing bands who definitely were influenced by buckley.

caragriff said:

i think his most important contribution was influence rather than accomplishment. thom yorke and matt bellamy come to mind as 2 amazing singers in 2 amazing bands who definitely were influenced by buckley.

yup:yes:

Personally, I think that while his influence is obviously great, his reputation certainly isn't without merit. I mean, shit. The guy was unique, technically proficient, AND talented to boot. The complex song structures and arrangements, the singing, the songwriting. The guy had the whole package.

Hell, I'd take Grace over most Radiohead albums. Not because of the influence that it had, but because it's fucking gorgeous.

P.S. Radiohead fans aren't allowed to call bands overrated, anyway. :wink:

I've "witnessed" several musicians untimely death in my life. Cobain, Hoon and others have moved me, but Buckley was the only one where I actually cried. His death was the first time I've cried for someone I didn't actually know personally.

I miss him.

That live version of "Hallelujah" that's on one of his posthumously released live albums is beautiful and haunting.

That's my favorite moment of his.

Has anyone read "Dream Brother," the book about Jeff and his dad Tim Buckley? I have it on my shelves and will get to it someday.

I am so, so, so glad I got to see him live in concert, (yes he actually came to Australia, not once but twice :wink: ) and it was an amazing night. I remember it was in the middle of a heatwave and fucking hot. God he was amazing, and yes I've wondered how he would be perceived now if he was still here.

well we can all wonder how our perception of someone who died would be had they lived. we do it all the time. it's actually a tired conversation...
that being said, when the dude from sublime died i don't think it cemented his place in the valhalla of rock musicians. so i don't think that dying universally ups the ante for our perceptions and memories of an artist. at the end of the day, we're left with what they recorded and wrote, and their influence on contemporary artists. cobain wrote genius pop songs, hendrix played a badass guitar, and jeff buckley left behind a few documents of his considerable and beautiful talents - and their lasting influence in the music community cannot be denied.
do you like the music? would you still be listening to 'grace' if buckley was still alive? i know i would...:drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I've "witnessed" several musicians untimely death in my life. Cobain, Hoon and others have moved me, but Buckley was the only one where I actually cried. His death was the first time I've cried for someone I didn't actually know personally.

I miss him.

I could've written this exact post. I was depressed when Buckley died. Seriously. It's such a tragedy.

blueeyedgirl said:
I am so, so, so glad I got to see him live in concert, (yes he actually came to Australia, not once but twice :wink: ) and it was an amazing night. I remember it was in the middle of a heatwave and fucking hot. God he was amazing, and yes I've wondered how he would be perceived now if he was still here.

I saw him live many times (even before "Grace" came out) and anyone who saw him live knows he was not overrated (unless you got him on a bad night, lol). He was the real deal. "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" just blew everyone away live. A sweet humble guy, too. I miss him. I think his songwriting would have matured and that he'd still be blowing us away today if he were still alive. I wept when he died and even attended the memorial service. A sad but beautiful day.

BTW, that song at the beginning of the thread is amazing. It brought back memories of hearing new stuff back in the day. Thanks for sharing.

I found this list of Tribute Songs people have done for Jeff. Incredibile. (I should add that Ours, who has a few on here, has a lead singer that sounds somewhat like Jeff.)

• "A Body Goes Down" - Duncan Sheik
• "As I Wander" - Ours
• "Bandstand in the Sky" - Pete Yorn
• "Bleed" - Ours
• "Blind River Boy" - Amy Correia
• "Bottom of the River" - Low Interval Limit
• "Boys on the Radio" - Hole (partially)
• "Buckley" - Lukas Rossi
• "By Yourself" - Sister 7
• "Cities Will Fall" - Elysian Fields
• "Sidestep The Bullet" - Brenda Kahn
• "Eternal Flame" - Joan Wasser
• "Except for the Ghosts" - Lisa Germano
• "Flushed Chest" - Joan Wasser
• "From Grace" - Thomas Dybdahl
• "Goodbye" - Army of Me
• "Gorgeous" - Kashmir
• "Grace" - Rachael Sage
• "Grey Ghost" - Mike Doughty
• "I Heard You Singing" - Ours
• "I Sang For You" - Edible Red
• "In a Flash" - Ron Sexsmith
• "JB" - Welcome To Roswell
• "Just Like Anyone" - Aimee Mann
• "Live In Blue Sparks" - Rebecca Moore
• "Living In A Video" - Ours
• "Memphis" - PJ Harvey
• "Memphis" - De Novo Dahl
• "Memphis Skyline" - Rufus Wainwright
• "New Blood" - Beth Wood
• "On the Road to Calvary" - Willie Nile
• "One Last Good Bye" - David Linx
• "Our Happiness" - Velvet Belly
• "Rilkean Heart" - Cocteau Twins
• "Saint Down The Hall" - Ours
• "Somebody Leave a Light On" - Dayna Kurtz
• "Song for a Dead Singer" - Zita Swoon
• "Stileto'd Young Stars" - Rebecca Moore
• "Swimming" - Chris Taylor
• "The Beast" - Joan Wasser
• "Tides of the Moon" -Elysian Fields
• "To the Sea" - Mark Eitzel
• "Trying Not to Think About It" - Juliana Hatfield
• "Valley of Sound" - Heather Nova
• "Wave Goodbye" - Chris Cornell
• "We Don't Know" - Health & Happiness Show
• "Where All Roses Go" - Anuna
• "You Were Right" - Badly Drawn Boy (partially)
• "Neath The Beeches" - The Frames
• "Wolf River" - Little Arcade
• "Jeff Buckley Moves to Memphis" - The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers
• "For" aka "The Blue Album" - M.P.E. Band (entire work is tribute CD)
• "Jealous" - Ether Frolics

I have tons of JB on my ipod, i cannot ever fathom not hearing this man sing.
I have listened to LYSOCO at least 3,000 times (honestly), and just put a live version of it on my ipod.

Other then U2, this man is the only other person to bring me to the deepest darkest depths of feeling,
whether it was to dance or to cry.
Everybody Here Wants You is an extremely sexy song. :drool:
Yard of Blonde Girls is pretty sexy too.
Forget Her...amazing.
Last Goodbye...my best friend said that everytime she hears this song reminds her of a man from my past,
and how it all ended with him.

But Lover, You Should've Come Over...esp. live...
is the most heartbreaking and painful song...(for personal reasons) that i have ever heard.
I cry almost every single time i hear it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom