Jeff Buckley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annie_vox

Refugee
He died ten years ago (29th May 1997)...

Bono: “Jeff was a pure drop in an ocean of noise”

Ben Harper: “Never have I seen such infinite musical potential in anyone”

Eddie Veder: “He did it... I was just fuckin' speechless... one of the most memorable moments of my life”

Douglas Payne: “Jeff Buckley's recording 'Hallelujah' humbles me and takes him to that special place that only very few songs manage to do.”

Only to quote a few very well known people that admire this great great artist...

10 years after his death I think it's time for us to say something about him...

Best tribute to him has to be Chris Cornell's song "Wave Goodbye" written for him, and the middle of the song features Cornell performing Buckley-esque vocal acrobatics, great song off a great album.

I think he was very, very talented. I have a live version of him doing "Hallelujah" that will make me stop whatever else I'm doing and give it my full attention. (Which is really something, because I'm the queen of ADD multi-tasking.)

But I don't think he'd be nearly as revered if he hadn't died.

Has anyone read the book Dream Brothers, about the lives and deaths of Tim and Jeff Buckley? I've heard it's very good.

I remember the 1st time i heard "Grace" , that was a shock. I fall in love with his voice , I miss him:sad:

powerhour24 said:
Best tribute to him has to be Chris Cornell's song "Wave Goodbye" written for him, and the middle of the song features Cornell performing Buckley-esque vocal acrobatics, great song off a great album.

Rufus Wainwright's "Memphis Skyline" is damn good, too. Maybe a bit too idiosyncratic for mainstream consumption, but I'll pass it along to anyone who'd like to hear it.

Never thought of Hades
Under the Mississippi
But still I've come to sing for him
So southern furies
Prepare to walk for my harp
I have strung, and I will leave with him
Relax the cogs of rhyme
Over the Memphis sky
Turn back the wheels of time
Under the Memphis skyline
always hated him for the way he looked
In the gaslight of the morning
Then came hallelujah sounding like mad Ophelia
for me in my room living
So kiss me, my darling stay with me till morning
Turn back and you will stay
Under the Memphis Skyline

I remember very specifically where I was the day I heard Jeff died. Like it was yesterday... I normally don't get affected that much by deaths of people I don't know personally, but this one floored me.

I miss him.

Here's a list of tribute songs for Jeff Buckley.

"A Body Goes Down" - Duncan Sheik
"As I Wander" - Ours
"Bandstand in the Sky" - Pete Yorn
"Bleed" - Ours
"Blind River Boy" - Amy Correia
"Bottom of the River" - Low Interval Limit
"Boys on the Radio" - Hole (partially)
"Buckley" - Lukas Rossi
"By Yourself" - Sister 7
"Cities Will Fall" - Elysian Fields
"Sidestep The Bullet" - Brenda Kahn
"Eternal Flame" - Joan Wasser
"Except for the Ghosts" - Lisa Germano
"Feel the Quiet River Rage" - Live
"Flushed Chest" - Joan Wasser
"From Grace" - Thomas Dybdahl
"Goodbye" - Army of Me
"Gorgeous" - Kashmir
"Grace" - Rachael Sage
"Grey Ghost" - Mike Doughty
"I Heard You Singing" - Ours
"I Sang For You" - Edible Red
"I'm Going to Memphis" - In Reverent Fear
"In a Flash" - Ron Sexsmith
"JB" - Welcome To Roswell
"Just Like Anyone" - Aimee Mann
"Live In Blue Sparks" - Rebecca Moore
"Living In A Video" - Ours
"Memphis" - PJ Harvey
"Memphis Skyline" - Rufus Wainwright
"Mississippi" - Steve Adey
"On the Road to Calvary" - Willie Nile
"One Last Good Bye" - David Linx
"Our Happiness" - Velvet Belly
"Rilkean Heart" - Cocteau Twins
"Saint Down The Hall" - Ours
"Somebody Leave a Light On" - Dayna Kurtz
"Song for a Dead Singer" - Zita Swoon
"Stileto'd Young Stars" - Rebecca Moore
"Swimming" - Chris Taylor
"The Beast" - Joan Wasser
"Tides of the Moon" -Elysian Fields
"To the Sea" - Mark Eitzel
"Trying Not to Think About It" - Juliana Hatfield
"Valley of Sound" - Heather Nova
"Wave Goodbye" - Chris Cornell
"We Don't Know" - Health & Happiness Show
"Where All Roses Go" - Anuna
"You Were Right" - Badly Drawn Boy (partially)
"Neath The Beeches" - The Frames
"Jeff Buckley Moves to Memphis" - The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers
"Angels Fall (Song for Jeff Buckley)" - Jim Major

According to his wikipedia page, a number of tribute concerts are planned for the comming weeks:

2007 marks the 10th anniversary of Jeff Buckley's death. His life and music will be celebrated globally between May and June, 2007. There will be tributes in Australia, Belgium, Canada, United Kingdom, Iceland, Ireland, Macedonia, France and the USA.

Unforgettable Lemon I love that song as well, and wow at that list, could make for quite the compilation picking the best out of them.

His voice and vocal range and what he did with it was just astounding, I can't help but be reminded of how the world misses him, everytime I listen to him, which is often.

coemgen said:
I cried when he died.

I've tried to find some information about this book, but I can't even find that it exists. The only thing I could find was an album with the songs of both Jeff and Tim Buckley sung by other artists, called Dream Brothers.

I'd love some information about it, a web link would be great, or even where it can be bought.

and yes, the man was unbelievably talented, as was his father.
It took me a while to get into Jeff Buckley as I was a huge fan of his father's and prefered his work.
Tim Buckley's Greetings from LA is one of my all time favourite albums. Sweet Surrender will melt me every time I hear it.

I never thought I'd say it, but Jeff's talent surpased his father, both lyrically and definately musically.

Both men were exceptionally talented and both had the ability to touch a persons soul with the beautiful depth of their voices.

Sorry, the quote has stuffed up on my above post for some reason. I'm quoting corianderstem's post, but this is what is coming up .... and it won't let me edit.

This is the post I was trying to quote

Quote- corianderstem
"Has anyone read the book Dream Brothers, about the lives and deaths of Tim and Jeff Buckley? I've heard it's very good."

I've been listening to Grace today two times... How beautiful is "Lover, you should have come over" ? I haven't listened to the whole album for a while... It's so sad...

I miss him too:sad:

Sibley said:
I just found a site for the book, thanks to some details on good ol Ebay, who even has 2 copies up for sale

I picked up a used copy at a local shop a few months ago. I'll have to move it up in my "to read" pile.

The tribute was so amazing... there were parts when I almost cried!

Here's something he said that I found very emotive (I don't remember the exact words): "I don't care if I'm remmembered or not, I just want the music to be remembered".

corianderstem said:

I picked up a used copy at a local shop a few months ago. I'll have to move it up in my "to read" pile.

I bought a used copy myself and it was delivered today. I've already read the prologue and first chapter and i'm hooked, I can't wait to get back into it.

The book's summary .........
"Father and son Tim and Jeff Buckley were both brilliant musicians with exquisite voices. Both died young as a result of reckless accidents. But Jeff hardly knew Tim, and he made only one album, the brilliant Grace, while Tim released nine albums in his lifetime. More than just a biography, Dream Brother is the story of what happens when The Business hooks up with The Artist, ultimately to neither's benefit and sometimes with tragic consequences."

Two comments written on the back cover I thought were very touching.

"Dream Brother does a great service to the legacy of these two talented musicians" - Irish Times

"A rich and moving potrait of two damaged, gifted people" - Esquire

One thing I never realized was how much of a Led Zeppelin fan Jeff Buckley was.

One of the many Zeppelin references in the book ......

“His biggest rock influence and favourite band was Led Zeppelin. To his friends, Jeff talked about his bootleg of Physical Grafitti outtakes with more affection and fannish enthusiasm than he ever did about the nine albums his father had recorded during the ‘60’s and ‘70’s.”

Another time he was at a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction dinner and was introduced to Robert Plant, who told him how much he loved Grace. Jeff was so overcome with emotion after this meeting, that he left the dinner party soon after.

On a sad note ........ his friend Keith Foti was playing guitar on the bank and Jeff was actually singing Whole Lotta Love as he swam out into the water on the night he drowned

Sibley said:
One thing I never realized was how much of a Led Zeppelin fan Jeff Buckley was.

A certain poster in here, can attest to that personally, for she was actually his neihbor for awhile and asked him to turn down his Zeppelin one or two times...

I listened to Grace for the first time the other day...

Wow. Wow. Wow. It was scary good. His voice is incredible. Mojo Pin is one of the best album openers I've ever heard. :heart:

RIP Jeff...you were a genius. :(

Back
Top Bottom