japan appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
i realized recently that there's never been a thread about the awesome band that is japan. so i'm going to change that.

japan formed in 1974. they broke up in 1983. they inspired many a band, and really, i think without them the new wave movement may not have had the same impact it did. i only say this because so many of the huge 80s artists were so inspired by japan, the music they would've made had it not been for japan may have sounded different.

anyway, japan can really be summed up into two eras: there's their glam rock phase in 1978, and then there disco/new wave phase from 1979 on. they released five studio albums, a live album, then called it a day.

as for my personal favourites, my favourite album would have to be gentlemen take polaroids. my favourite song is swing.

for those of you not so familiar with them, here's their entry in wikipedia.

and, here's some choice songs for your listening pleasure. i tried to pick their hits as well as some personal favourites. oh btw, a lot of these are in m4a format so if you don't have itunes they may not work. sux 2 b u omg!

adolescent sex, 1978:
the unconventional
performance

obscure alternatives, 1978:
...rhodesia (omg bonus it's reggae!!)
deviation
the tenant (an excellent song that sounds nothing like anything they'd done up until that point)

quiet life, 1979:
quiet life
alien
the other side of life

gentlemen take polaroids, 1980:
gentlemen take polaroids
swing
my new career

tin drum, 1981:
the art of parties
ghosts
canton (a very chinese sounding song. this album is very eastern, but you can really hear it in this song.)

timothius said:
The "When You Come" video was shot in Japan.

It still stands as one of my least favourite Crowded House video clips. :yes:
yeah well inxs' "original sin" and "i send a message" were shot in japan. and those videos suck too. what does that mean?

Silly boy! When they fall to their knees :drool: And spin and spin and spin :drool: :drool:

Obviously a bloke :wink:

Many of my mis-spent youth memories involve my best friend from school who was a MASSIVE Japan and Sylvian fan and we would spend many a weekend searching all the record stores in town for vinyl. The day we found a David Sylvian POSTER was momentous, for us and for the rest of the store, cos we screamed so loud! :lmao:

Ah memories! :love:

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah well inxs' "original sin" and "i send a message" were shot in japan. and those videos suck too. what does that mean?

I do not know of, the origional sin (video).

But I can assume that videos shot in Japan focus to heavily on a culture and environment that is completely unrelated to the material at hand? :shrug:

timothius said:
I do not know of, the origional sin (video).

But I can assume that videos shot in Japan focus to heavily on a culture and environment that is completely unrelated to the material at hand? :shrug:
the videos are scary. you're not missing anything.

and you're right! :yes:

blueeyedgirl said:
Many of my mis-spent youth memories involve my best friend from school who was a MASSIVE Japan and Sylvian fan and we would spend many a weekend searching all the record stores in town for vinyl. The day we found a David Sylvian POSTER was momentous, for us and for the rest of the store, cos we screamed so loud! :lmao:
:drool: :up:

i've got the most hilarious japan poster hanging next to me. i love it. :happy:

The pic looks likes it's been photocopied a few too many times and lost detail in the process.

Ooooh, he were pretty, weren't he? :drool:

lol no, it's just the shit quality of the frame it's in. i's be po'. :( eventually i'll buy a better frame for it like the ones my dd posters are in :drool: and it's a shit picture too, i had to take it an an odd angle so the flash wouldn't catch the frame.

yes, he was pretty. :drool: but i totally had a thing for the drummer steve. :love:

KhanadaRhodes said:
lol no, it's just the shit quality of the frame it's in. i's be po'. :( eventually i'll buy a better frame for it like the ones my dd posters are in :drool: and it's a shit picture too, i had to take it an an odd angle so the flash wouldn't catch the frame.

yes, he was pretty. :drool: but i totally had a thing for the drummer steve. :love:

Steve and David are identical, just different coloured hair. Thats what comes of being brothers.

Mick Karn on the other hand :drool:

beli said:
Steve and David are identical, just different coloured hair. Thats what comes of being brothers.

they're not identical :grumpy: for starters david has aged terribly :happy:

:giggle: and how did i know you'd like that little slide in the "i second that emotion" video? :wink:

Hey! Where are the rest of the pictures? Don't you know I can't judge a band without lots of pictures? :D

okay, now for the pics. before i post them, i'll say who plays what.

there's david sylvian (vocals/guitar), mick karn (bass), rob dean (guitar), steve jansen (drums), and richard barbieri (keyboards).

k...first for some early pics when they were all glam rock (these are all id'ed from left to right):

firework.jpg

(RD, MK, DS, RB, SJ)

group79.jpg

(RD, MK, SJ, DS, RB)

jap77lo2.jpg

(SJ, RB, RD, DS, MK)

jap77lon.jpg

(SJ, RD, DS, MK, RB)

jap773.jpg

(MK, RD, RB, SJ, DS)

japbus.jpg

(SJ, DS)

jappiano.jpg

(RB, RD, DS, MK, SJ)

newyork.jpg

(SJ, DS, RD, RB, MK)

sword.jpg

(RB, MK, DS, RD, SJ)

here they are after they cut their hair and went new wave.

1japanspring80.jpg

(MK, RD, DS, RB, SJ)

band81.jpg

(RD, SJ, RB, DS, MK)

hongkong.jpg

(RB, MK, SJ, RD, DS)

hotel.jpg

(SJ, MK, RD, RB, DS)

mkds81.jpg

(MK, DS)

polar2.jpg

(RD, MK, RB, SJ, DS)

qlsess.jpg

(DS, RB, RD, MK, SJ)

and a couple after rob dean left the band (he left after gentlemen take polaroids).

82wall.jpg

(SJ, DS, RB, MK)

band812.jpg

(RB, MK, SJ, DS)

a couple of david sylvian:
1ds79pose.jpg

dssit.jpg

and one of mick karn in a chef's hat for beli :wink:
mkchef.jpg

beli said:

Beli likes a man with no eyebrows! :yikes:

Oooh their "Gentlemen take Polaroids" was their best look :drool: Lets say the whole New York Dolls thing was never going to be a good idea. :barf:

Useless fact file: Rob Dean left to move to Australia, and he was never good looking enough. Sorry but true! :grumpy:

:ohmy:

Those are some high maintenance guys! I'd kind of forgotten how elaborate the 70's glam and early 80's new wave/new romantics looks were. But this thread is bring it all back..... :D

I admit, I was slightly hoping this thread was about the country, Japan.

But that's alright. I know that was sort of asking a lot...

blueeyedgirl said:
Lets say the whole New York Dolls thing was never going to be a good idea. :barf:
:laugh: here's a fun fact: a couple years ago when i had platinum blonde hair, my stylist fried my hair and i ended up with bangs. given the length my hair, it kinda resembled david sylvian's. i did not do this intentionally. :no:

Last edited:
i just picked up david sylvian's everything and nothing. :drool: my kittie likes this music much better than early japan. so if she gives it the seal of approval then... :up:

and since this is my thread i am allowing david sylvian's solo work (as well as any other side project/any member's solo work) to be discussed here. :drool:

KhanadaRhodes said:

:laugh: here's a fun fact: a couple years ago when i had platinum blonde hair, my stylist fried my hair and i ended up with bangs. given the length my hair, it kinda resembled david sylvian's. i did not do this intentionally. :no:

:lmao:

not to hijack your thread, but it reminded me of a tidbit....several years ago SK (of The Church -- yeah, yeah, you kinda figured that out, didn't you?) was asked why he shaved off his beard. He said, "because everyone has one now. And that's just the women."

(I wasn't one of those women -- I swear!) :D

indra said:
:lmao:

not to hijack your thread, but it reminded me of a tidbit....several years ago SK (of The Church -- yeah, yeah, you kinda figured that out, didn't you?) was asked why he shaved off his beard. He said, "because everyone has one now. And that's just the women."

(I wasn't one of those women -- I swear!) :D
:giggle: that's hilarious! :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom